Changing guarantee cabin once assigned

Dreamcruise27

Hello, has anyone successfully changed their assigned cabin recently? In the past, I’ve been able to change the location as long as it was in the same category, but today the agent said absolutely not. Just wondering if it is worthwhile calling back and speaking to a different agent…

Thanks!

We changed three times after we got assigned cabin numbers as we were not happy with the location (obstructed view). We even got upgraded to a concierge cabin with a great location paying less then a guarantee cabin through a TA. 

• Like 1

I was told the same thing shortly after the restart.   I called my TA and he was able to change it in 5 min.   I'd keep calling to see if someone will do it for you.  I wouldn't even mention that it was a GTY, just say I'd like to change my cabin from X to Y.

Edit:  Of course that's a risk of booking GTY is that you can get the worst cabin in the category.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I was told the same thing shortly after the restart.   I called my TA and he was able to change it in 5 min.   I'd keep calling to see if someone will do it for you.  I wouldn't even mention that it was a GTY, just say I'd like to change my cabin from X to Y.

Edit:  Of course that's a risk of booking GTY is that you can get the worst cabin in the category.

Yes! Definitely a risk for sure. I’m over 180 days away from sailing and I made the booking yesterday morning so I was very surprised to see an assignment last night! 

There is almost 90% availability in the obstructed balcony cabins currently so I didn’t think it would be an issue to be moved to the starboard side so that I’m not right over the smoking section on deck 5.

I believe it can be done on the system with no checks and balances for GTY rate code.  The issue is that it is probably a policy (which would make sense) that a GTY cabin can't be re-assigned at the request of the customer.  Agents doing their job per policy would reject the request as happened to me once.  Again I would keep trying, at least 3 or 4 times before I gave up.

• Like 1

Apologies, this is something I am not too familiar with so may be a silly question. Is it then you get a cheaper price by not selecting a cabin and having one assigned, then you now want to move as you don’t like the cabin assigned? Which I get if you know you don’t like the cabin, but then shouldn’t you then lose the discount as you are effectively selecting a cabin?  As I say, apologies if I am just misunderstanding.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Apologies, this is something I am not too familiar with so may be a silly question. Is it then you get a cheaper price by not selecting a cabin and having one assigned, then you now want to move as you don’t like the cabin assigned? Which I get if you know you don’t like the cabin, but then shouldn’t you then lose the discount as you are effectively selecting a cabin?  As I say, apologies if I am just misunderstanding.

You have the gist! 

Patty 

• Like 2

I just did this same thing. We booked an Infinite Veranda guarantee on the Ascent for Jan 2024 and the room was assigned within 24 hours. We were assigned a partial view IV and I contacted our agent to change our room from the assigned room to another in the same class/type of room. She said it wasn't allowed, but I have done this in the past and asked her to check again. She came back, apologized and changed the room with no problem.