Internet on Princess Cruises

nynewfies

I apologize if this has been recently asked and answered, but I couldn't find it so here goes . . .

My husband and I are scheduled to sail on a Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby Princess in October, 2023.  If you select a package that allows you internet for one device does this mean that just a single device can be registered for the duration of the cruise, or that only one device can be on the network at a time?  For example, if I have internet on my smartphone but I want to use my computer, can I take the smartphone off the network and then, when I'm done with the computer, take that off the network and put the smartphone back on?  Or would that require that I purchase a package that allows multiple devices?  

I can't find the answer to this specific question written anywhere on the Princess site, and I have found this question answered both ways on other websites.  The multiple device package is a lot more expensive and I don't want to purchase it if I don't have to.  If you have direct experience with this, could you please let me know?

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

This is so good to know!  I have had two separate LiveChat agents tell me that you couldn't do this and I just had a hard time believing that it would be impossible.  It will save me about $400 for the two of us.to just switch devices rather than purchase the upgrade.  Thanks!

I couldn't figure it out but the folks at the Internet Cafe were very helpful.

I thought I had to turn off my connection on one device before logging in on another one. But the gal told me that I didn't have to actually do that. I just had to log in on the new device.

• Like 2

It is absolutely possible. Type logout.com or login.com on the device's browser when connected to ship's Wifi to access the associated login/logout pages. Once you enter your credentials (DOB and stateroom number) you will have the option to connect the new device to the Internet, and the previous one will go offline. You can switch back and forth as often as you need to over the duration of the cruise.

It's also worth noting that you can still use the Princess app to order drinks, check the schedule, find your travel companions, etc. even if a device is not connected to the Internet - it only needs to be connected to ship's WiFi for the on-ship functions to work. This is handy if you want to use a laptop to check email, browse the Internet, stream shows, etc. but still want to use your phone to order cocktails.

• Like 1

Thanks cavecreekguy and bubbaed.  The process you describe is exactly what I imagined it should be, so I'm really glad to know that it works very similarly to a hotel that limits devices.  You can have as many as you want, but you can only use one or two simultaneously.  This sounds even easier than that as it is so automatic, and it's really helpful to know that you can still use your phone to order things while on your computer.  Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!!

It would be great if your explanation could be posted on the Princess site, or even if Princess just made sure all of their employees were aware of it.  So far three out of three (two in LiveChat and one on the phone) have told me that this was not possible and I'd have to purchase the package for multiple devices.  Hopefully they will straighten this out sooner rather than later even though they might lose a few dollars in the process when people stop purchasing unnecessary upgrades.

When you log in, it will show "one device logged in" if you bought the single package. When you log in the second device, it will forcibly remove the other one, so it's quick and easy.

If you bought the Princess Premium or the multiple device service, it shows "X of 4 devices logged in" with a graphic for each of the 4 potential devices. If you push this to 5 devices, it will knock something else out, but I haven't figured out how it chooses.

Platinum loyalty and above get half off multiple device service, so we buy that and forget all of the log-off, log-on effort.

• Like 1

Does anyone understand the pricing for the Internet? I couldn't find anything on Princess's website.  I've also heard there is some kind of a discount for elite and platinum passengers.  Any enlightenment on this issue would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

Does anyone understand the pricing for the Internet? I couldn't find anything on Princess's website.  I've also heard there is some kind of a discount for elite and platinum passengers.  Any enlightenment on this issue would be appreciated.

Try this link.

MedallionNet® - Fast, Reliable Internet at Sea - Princess Cruises

1 minute ago, Dodger Blue said:

Thank you.  I did see this, but wasn't sure if the $14.99 was a per day cost or some other duration.

Per day, as long as you book it for the entire cruise. Loyalty level also plays a part in the cost. You get a 50% discount when you make platinum.

6 hours ago, Dodger Blue said:

Or purchase Princess Plus, which includes gratuities, includes a decent beverage package, has a few additional perks, and allows for one device connected to the Internet.