Deposit Cancellations

AVCruzers

We were looking forward to a LA-LA Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Miracle embarking on September 10.  We paid a $800 deposit in October of 2022 plus 2 shore excursions for total of $285.98.  Of course, we bought travel insurance with AON.  In April, our granddaughter announced a 9/10/23 wedding date.   I immediately called Carnival Cruise line on April 13, 2023 to cancel the cruise.  They messed the message and I had to call again on May 30 as they were still demanding final payment.  .  I was told on May 30 that I would lose the deposit but the shore excursion amount will be refunded to credit card.  AON sent me a letter stating that granddaughter's wedding is not a valid reason for them to pay me the deposit.  We usually cruise with Princess and have never had to pay that high deposit.  

If there is a question in there somewhere, AON is correct that a wedding celebration is not a covered reason.

However, Carnivals AON insurance does include a Cancel For Any Reason rider which gives you a 75% Future Cruise Credit as long as you cancel up to scheduled sailing time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

If there is a question in there somewhere, AON is correct that a wedding celebration is not a covered reason.

However, Carnivals AON insurance does include a Cancel For Any Reason rider which gives you a 75% Future Cruise Credit as long as you cancel up to scheduled sailing time.

Thanks for info.  

@AVCruzers, no one here knows the exact type of fare you are dealing with. But as has been suggested, you are far more likely to be allowed to 'reschedule' rather than 'cancel' and get some of that $800 shifted over to the new cruise. As I recall, the cutoff for doing that is Final Payment date which is FAST approaching for you here in very early June.

Call Carnival immediately not seeking to CANCEL but rather seeking to reschedule and book a different cruise on a different date. (Figure out what that is before you call.)  And while the 800 number is fine, you'll be best served to try to work through a PVP for this.  He/she can't get you a better 'break'. But they'll understanding your situation and work to minimize your loss.

Congratulations to your granddaughter!

Edited by jsglow