Visitors4 at Tobacco Bay in St. George’s Bermuda

Visitors4

We’ve been all over the island of Bermuda on our prior trips. On our latest visit in May 2024, we decided to return to St. George’s as we found it to be calmer, quieter and nicer charm than areas like Hamilton and Royal Navy Dockyard. 

Our ship docked at the Dockyard and a Norwegian ship was also in port. We took the first ferry from Dockyard to St. George’s (9:45 am; $18 round-trip for 2 persons). This ferry doesn’t run daily so check the online ferry schedule for availability. Fares are purchased at the building facing the ferry dock. It was an easy, scenic 45 minute ride to St. George’s. 

Once off the ferry in St. George’s, we walked to our destination - Tobacco Bay Beach (TB). It’s about a mile walk with parts slightly uphill. There are taxis by the ferry dock that go to TB. With two ships in port, TB was almost full with guests by the time we arrived around 11 am. We got the last two loungers with attached shades. There are reasons to get to TB in morning, and getting loungers with shades is one reason. 

The other reason to get to TB in morning? For the clearest water for swimming and snorkeling! TB is shallow for the most part. From the water’s surface, one can see various types of fish! 

Later in afternoon, guests start to depart and loungers open up, BUT the water at TB and like most waters in the afternoon, clarity gets cloudy from the sand kicking up by people being in the water. So if you are planning to snorkel and seek sea life, go in the morning. Otherwise at any time, TB is wonderful for swimming.

A live band was playing and they were absolutely wonderful! The best rum swizzle we had in Bermuda! After an amazing day at TB, we walked back to center of St. George’s to check out shops, and  enjoyed another rum swizzle at Wahoo’s Bistro - the nicest staff and comfortable bar vibe.

Check out Tobacco Bay! We found it so much more enjoyable than the busier beaches like Horseshoe Bay, even without the pink sands!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, Visitors4 said:

Check out Tobacco Bay! We found it so much more enjoyable than the busier beaches like Horseshoe Bay, even without the pink sands!

I like Tobacco Bay but because it is a small beach you can't escape the people when it fills up. At Horseshoe you can just move away from the faculties and find empty areas. Also I don't care for the noise from the activities and beach toys they have put out. I only stand staying at Tobacco one or two hours and leave while at Horseshoe Bay I stay four to six hours. Tobacco works with only one or two hours because I incorporate it with St. George which is one of the best places to visit in Bermuda.

• Like 1

It was great last September as the Orange ferry wasn't operating and people couldn't figure out the bus system/Blue Ferry or didn't want to pay for a cab.  No crowds at all.  We got lucky that day!