Transfer from Rome hotel to Citivavecchia

RI_Cruiser919

Hi!  My husband and I are going on a Celebrity Mediterranean Cruise in October that departs from Rome on a Monday in October 2023.

We are doing Rome on our own the weekend prior to departure of the cruise from Rome.  Does any one have any car service companies or other ideas for transfer from the Rome hotel to the port.  

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

If you want a private transfer company we would add "Rome Cabs" (Romecabs.com) to the list.  Another option (assuming you can easily handle all your luggage) is to take a train to Civitavecchia and than grab a shuttle bus to the port.

Hank

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If you want a private transfer company we would add "Rome Cabs" (Romecabs.com) to the list.  Another option (assuming you can easily handle all your luggage) is to take a train to Civitavecchia and than grab a shuttle bus to the port.

Hank

Morning sir, what do you think of welcomepickups.com & booktaxi.com?

Edited by HMSDingy

11 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Morning sir, what do you think of welcomepickups.com & booktaxi.com?

Sir?  OMG...it has come to that :).  Sorry, but I have no personal knowledge of either of those sites/companies. 

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

Sir?  OMG...it has come to that :).  Sorry, but I have no personal knowledge of either of those sites/companies. 

Hank

With all of your knowledge & input, it's the best I can do😎

29 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

With all of your knowledge & input, it's the best I can do😎

Then you are in big trouble :).  As confirmed DIY folks, are knowledge of private tour/transfer companies is limited.   When going from Rome to Civitavecchia we hardly ever use a transfer company  If we do not have a lot of luggage we may just take the train.  Otherwise, we just have our hotel get us a taxi.  We have also had a lot of experience with rental cars and have often dropped or picked up a car in Civitavecchia pre/post cruise. Our personal knowledge of Rome In Limo and Rome Cabs primarily comes from using transfer companies to get from the port to FCO for an early flight.  

One warning about recommendations.  The travel world has changed because of COVID.  Many companies (around the world) have either changed ownership or simply disappeared.  And those that survived have often been forced to replace experienced folks with new hires.  It is almost like we are starting all over again...with a clean slate and many companies have employee shortages.  We recently saw this, first hand, while cruising in Asia where quite a few private tours and ship excursions were cancelled (we think it was mostly due to skilled labor shortages).

In Europe the changes are sometimes surprising.  Shortly after travel reopened in Greece, DW and I took a ferry to Naxos (from Pireaus).  We had booked a rental car from a Europcar office, located a few blocks from the ferry port.  When we got to that Europcar office it had become a motorcycle rental shop.  The local Europcar franchisee had closed that office over 6 months earlier, and Europcar (normally an excellent company) had failed to update their web site (and they kept taking reservations for an office that did not exist).  A minor bump in the road of independent travel, but also a heads-up that many things have changed as the result of COVID.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Then you are in big trouble :).  As confirmed DIY folks, are knowledge of private tour/transfer companies is limited.   When going from Rome to Civitavecchia we hardly ever use a transfer company  If we do not have a lot of luggage we may just take the train.  Otherwise, we just have our hotel get us a taxi.  We have also had a lot of experience with rental cars and have often dropped or picked up a car in Civitavecchia pre/post cruise. Our personal knowledge of Rome In Limo and Rome Cabs primarily comes from using transfer companies to get from the port to FCO for an early flight.  

One warning about recommendations.  The travel world has changed because of COVID.  Many companies (around the world) have either changed ownership or simply disappeared.  And those that survived have often been forced to replace experienced folks with new hires.  It is almost like we are starting all over again...with a clean slate and many companies have employee shortages.  We recently saw this, first hand, while cruising in Asia where quite a few private tours and ship excursions were cancelled (we think it was mostly due to skilled labor shortages).

In Europe the changes are sometimes surprising.  Shortly after travel reopened in Greece, DW and I took a ferry to Naxos (from Pireaus).  We had booked a rental car from a Europcar office, located a few blocks from the ferry port.  When we got to that Europcar office it had become a motorcycle rental shop.  The local Europcar franchisee had closed that office over 6 months earlier, and Europcar (normally an excellent company) had failed to update their web site (and they kept taking reservations for an office that did not exist).  A minor bump in the road of independent travel, but also a heads-up that many things have changed as the result of COVID.

Hank

Wow, I did get an earful or rather read full.😆 Thanks. Our last Med cruise was pre-COVID and as always, we booked a stay in Rome pre-cruise but I don't recall the transfer company we used to get to the hotel in Rome. DW and I are Italian & we speak our language fluently so getting around is easy peasy. The transfer companies I listed seem to have decent reviews elsewhere and their prices are competitive although I find Rome Cabs a tad more expensive. BTW, can you suggest a decent moderately priced stay in Rome? We're looking at a HAL cruise in 2024 out of Civitavecchia and we plan to stay in Rome.

3 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Wow, I did get an earful or rather read full.😆 Thanks. Our last Med cruise was pre-COVID and as always, we booked a stay in Rome pre-cruise but I don't recall the transfer company we used to get to the hotel in Rome. DW and I are Italian & we speak our language fluently so getting around is easy peasy. The transfer companies I listed seem to have decent reviews elsewhere and their prices are competitive although I find Rome Cabs a tad more expensive. BTW, can you suggest a decent moderately priced stay in Rome? We're looking at a HAL cruise in 2024 out of Civitavecchia and we plan to stay in Rome.

We will sit back at hope that Cruisemom sees this thread and jumps in with her hotel suggestions.  We have yet to find the "perfect" Rome hotel although we do favor places in the Piazza Navona/Campo de Fiori part of town.  Like most major cities, frequent travelers all seem to have their favorite neighborhoods.  I do like to find locations that are convenient for walking to local eating venues and some nightlife.  In Rome, we worry less about tourist sites since we can always use public transit and our feet to get to those areas in daytime.

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We will sit back at hope that Cruisemom sees this thread and jumps in with her hotel suggestions.  We have yet to find the "perfect" Rome hotel although we do favor places in the Piazza Navona/Campo de Fiori part of town.  Like most major cities, frequent travelers all seem to have their favorite neighborhoods.  I do like to find locations that are convenient for walking to local eating venues and some nightlife.  In Rome, we worry less about tourist sites since we can always use public transit and our feet to get to those areas in daytime.

Hank

Same here about the touristy places. We've been to Italy several times and pretty much know our way around but since we have family there and I have my grandfather's place to stay at, unless it's pre-cruise, we rarely rent.