New Crystal Enrichment & Entertainment

Keith1010

1 hour ago, lovet2travel said:

Thank you for sharing all the information and your posts. Really appreciate them. Do you know if NC will have what the former CD, Dru Pavlov, put out a morning show? As an early riser, I always found it helpful. I understand Dru went to Seabourn. He was a good CD on Crystal.

You are very welcome. I am unsure of the answer to this question.  My experience is that there are some things that eat CD does differently with one another such as former CD Paul McFarland who would give those Weather Forecasts on Symphony.  

Keith

14 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are very welcome. I am unsure of the answer to this question.  My experience is that there are some things that eat CD does differently with one another such as former CD Paul McFarland who would give those Weather Forecasts on Symphony.

And those weather forecasts were wonderful.  Recently took a cruise on another line, when the weather info on the television continually said "N/A".  Real bummer.

FWIW, I highly recommend a free app for your phone called PredictWind.  Shows current and predicted wave and wind status.  Especially nice when weather may be marginal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

And those weather forecasts were wonderful.  Recently took a cruise on another line, when the weather info on the television continually said "N/A".  Real bummer.

FWIW, I highly recommend a free app for your phone called PredictWind.  Shows current and predicted wave and wind status.  Especially nice when weather may be marginal.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I just downloaded the app.

Keith

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Thanks!  However, I just read this about the PredictWind app:

"The Free and Basic PredictWind Forecast Subscriptions allow you to get Global GRIB files (50km resolution) over land based WIFI and cellular connections, however you are not able to get these GRIBs over a Satellite/SSB connection."

So doesn't that mean that the app won't provide information when one is on a cruise and not able to get land-based WIFI or a cellular connection?  Have you been able to utilize it when out at sea? There is a $20/month premium version, but I'm asking about the free version.  Thanks

Edited by skybluewaters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

"The Free and Basic PredictWind Forecast Subscriptions allow you to get Global GRIB files (50km resolution) over land based WIFI and cellular connections, however you are not able to get these GRIBs over a Satellite/SSB connection."

So doesn't that mean that the app won't provide information when one is on a cruise and not able to get land-based WIFI or a cellular connection?  Have you been able to utilize it when out at sea? There is a $20/month premium version, but I'm asking about the free version.  Thanks

The app was designed for sailors, particularly those in sailboats.  The sat connection they are talking about are sat-phones, and SSB is single side band.  Neither of which is what you have with onboard "satellite" internet.

I have had zero issues using this app on an internet connection while onboard ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

It definitely works with a Satellite connection. We live on our sailboat, and absolutely RELY on Predict Wind to plan our passages. We have Starlink on our boat, which is a satellite connection, and we are able to use it at sea.

What they are referring to is that you can't use the free version over the "older" Satellite services that sailors use, such as IridiumGo or InReach, which are Satphones, not Wifi. Or over SSB, which is Single Side Band radio, which many cruisers like ourselves still use, although it's falling out of favor now that so many of us are getting Starlink. Most cruise ships are using Starlink for their wifi these days, and you can visit any website even when you're at sea. 

But for most people, Windy.com is more than adequate to see the weather anywhere in the world. There is an app, but you can just go to their website as well. 

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

The app was designed for sailors, particularly those in sailboats.  The sat connection they are talking about are sat-phones, and SSB is single side band.  Neither of which is what you have with onboard "satellite" internet.

I have had zero issues using this app on an internet connection while onboard ship.

LOL! Great minds think alike! We were both posting the exact same thing at the same time. 😉

My only quibble is your thought that Starlink is on most cruise ships.  I'd venture to say that Starlink is the exception rather than the rule.

In any case, it works on cruise ships without Starlink, such as those that use MTN antenna systems.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

My only quibble is your thought that Starlink is on most cruise ships.  I'd venture to say that Starlink is the exception rather than the rule.

In any case, it works on cruise ships without Starlink, such as those that use MTN antenna systems.

You're right. I know many ships are converting to Starlink, but it's not the rule yet. But whatever method a ship is using to provide wifi at sea, it's still just looks like wifi to a website. 🙂 

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Thanks for the App info. Will download! 

On 6/20/2023 at 3:47 PM, FlyerTalker said:

@FlyerTalker thanks for the recommendation! 

13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Not yet but when I do I will post it.

Keith. 

Thanks, Keith. We are booked on the September 26,2023 NY to Quebec City Serenity cruise. Our first Crystal experience was on the Symphony, NYC to Bermuda. The view of the City skyline and the Statute of Liberty as the ship sailed away on the Hudson was magnificent. Chose NYC origin instead of NYC destination for that reason. Can't wait to get back on the Crystal.  If you have any Entertainment and menu for that cruise, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, imabigcheese said:

I am delighted to read that there will be production shows. Thanks so much for sharing the info as it becomes available.

Are there any murmurs about art classes on sea days? 

You are very welcome.

The good news is the art class is returning.

Keith

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

Will there be production shows on the first sailings or later TBD? They weren’t on the initial releases of entertainment. 

I realize they didn't show tis but there will be productions shows on each sailing starting with the first one.

Keith

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zele said:

Keith,

Will there still be a magician from the Magic Castle as there as been no mention so far or will he suddenly appear as if by...?

Rod

Rod, no and yes.

The no part is that old Crystal's partnership with Magic At Sea ended quite sometime before operations ceased and they started to  source magicians without going to Magic At Sea.

The yes part is there will be magicians on the sailings and they are noted on some of the programs I posted where it says Crystal Magic At Sea.

Keith

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The yes part is there will be magicians on the sailings and they are noted on some of the programs I posted where it says Crystal Magic At Sea.

And for those who remember the video that started each Magic Castle show.....note the name of the magician on the first Serenity cruise.

Deja vu all over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1