Sky Princess Still Having Generator Problems

BURNSMN

Just got on Sky Princess for the 14 Day Norway Iceland Cruise. We were welcomed with a letter stating our first stop in Bergen on Monday will be from 2-9 rather than 10-7 due to ongoing generator maintenance. We will miss our 2pm independent shore excursion. Welcome Aboard!

See how the rest of the ports go.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BURNSMN said:

Just got on Sky Princess for the 14 Day Norway Iceland Cruise. We were welcomed with a letter stating our first stop in Bergen on Monday will be from 2-9 rather than 10-7 due to ongoing generator maintenance. We will miss our 2pm independent shore excursion. Welcome Aboard!

Independent tour operations live and die by the ship’s schedule. I’d be surprised if they didn’t adjust their schedule to fit yours. After all. Everyone on that tour is coming from your ship. If they don’t adjust, then they have to refund everyone’s money* and they earn no revenue. Contact them to see if they can figure out a workaround. I don’t know what you were planning to do so I don’t know if it’s time sensitive. 

*I’ve never booked an independent tour that didn’t have a money back guarantee if the ship doesn’t make it to port as planned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BURNSMN said:

Interesting. Because the same thing happened to us on the Sky Princess just one year ago on the 14 day Norway North Cape sailing on June 11th. What a coincidence...

The captain (also Marco Fortezze) had made reference to a generator problem which was impacting on the vessel’s speed. On the first leg from Southampton we arrived in Haugesund at 12:30PM instead of 8:00AM. 

Shore Excursions (independend and from Princess) had to be cancelled.
So no Akrafjord and no Langfoss waterfall for us.

Edited by EDVM96

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Independent tour operations live and die by the ship’s schedule. I’d be surprised if they didn’t adjust their schedule to fit yours. After all. Everyone on that tour is coming from your ship. If they don’t adjust, then they have to refund everyone’s money* and they earn no revenue. Contact them to see if they can figure out a workaround. I don’t know what you were planning to do so I don’t know if it’s time sensitive. 

*I’ve never booked an independent tour that didn’t have a money back guarantee if the ship doesn’t make it to port as planned. 

We did get our money refunded. The excursion was a fjord cruise that leaves at 2pm that didn’t have enough cruise passengers to adjust their timing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Just HOW much money is the question.  Years ago we had a tour in Wales that we weren't able to make due to high winds.  The tour operator only gave us a 50% refund and then accused the Captain of just wanting to keep us onboard to make more money!

Hoping to get the generator kinks all taken care of for my sailing in 2 weeks. And I'm hoping it causes no more adjustments to your sailing this cruise as I would have thought this would have been taken care of on the last sailing. Sorry you had to deal with the lost excursion but I hope the rest of your cruise is fantastic.

Just now, EDVM96 said:

Interesting. Because the same thing happened to us on the Sky Princess just one year ago on the 14 day Norway North Cape sailing on June 11th. What a coincidence...

The captain (also Marco Fortezze) had made reference to a generator problem which was impacting on the vessel’s speed. On the first leg from Southampton we arrived in Haugesund at 12:30PM instead of 8:00AM. 

We were on the cruise just after that one where we were massively delayed boarding because the ship was late into Southampton. The most annoying part of it was the captains announcement that night which said unfortunately we were delayed due to a fire alarm in the terminal (yes that was part of it but not the main cause of the delay as the ship got to Southampton really late) and the lack of ownership from the captain really annoyed me whereas he could have given the real reason and apologised. The captain changed halfway through our cruise.

We are also on the next cruise in two weeks time after this so I hope everything is sorted before then.

Just now, Nicole&Pete said:

We were on the cruise just after that one where we were massively delayed boarding because the ship was late into Southampton. The most annoying part of it was the captains announcement that night which said unfortunately we were delayed due to a fire alarm in the terminal (yes that was part of it but not the main cause of the delay as the ship got to Southampton really late) and the lack of ownership from the captain really annoyed me whereas he could have given the real reason and apologised. The captain changed halfway through our cruise.

We are also on the next cruise in two weeks time after this so I hope everything is sorted before then.

That’s three cruises now with this captain that have had issues! First the Iceland one where they missed loads of pirates due to weather (not the cruise lines fault I guess) and the two now with generator issues.

5 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

That’s three cruises now with this captain that have had issues! First the Iceland one where they missed loads of pirates due to weather (not the cruise lines fault I guess) and the two now with generator issues.

Can't really put any of the blame on the captain. One was weather related and the other is the generator of the ship. Both things are out of his hands and control.

11 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Can't really put any of the blame on the captain. One was weather related and the other is the generator of the ship. Both things are out of his hands and control.

Fully agree.  We were on the first sailing mentioned.  We had a great cruise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Yep. That's what happened. We were delayed deboarding that day and nearly everyone missed their flights, etc. On that day, Princess lost a lot of money, that's for sure. It took 5 months to get it back from Princess corporate.

The evening before, we were overtaken by the P&O Iona on the way back. The Iona made it on time into Southampton that morning, before the channel was closed for the regatta. The Sky didn't. Max speed of the Sky was 19 knots that evening. The regatta is a yearly event for decades.

Edited by EDVM96

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Fully agree.  We were on the first sailing mentioned.  We had a great cruise.

I'm glad you had a fantastic cruise all around! I board 2 weeks from today and I'm looking forward to it. Is any unexpected adventures pop up that are not supposed too, I know I'm going to still have a wonderful time regardless.

Just now, Jeter02 said:

That’s true, fingers crossed for our cruise 🚢 

Just now, EDVM96 said:

Yep. That's what happened. We were delayed deboarding that day and nearly everyone missed their flights, etc. On that day, Princess lost a lot of money, that's for sure. It took 5 months to get it back from Princess corporate.

The evening before, we were overtaken by the P&O Iona on the way back. The Iona made it on time into Southampton that morning, before the channel was closed for the regatta. The Sky didn't. Max speed of the Sky was 19 knots that evening. The regatta is a yearly event for decades.

I wouldn’t have minded it being a delayed cruise for 5-6 hours if everything was working just the same but later. Unfortunately it wasn’t like this, they didn’t communicate it to everyone on the cruise (I found out through the roll call), everyone tried to arrive at the same time, there was a two mile queue to get to the port, getting the car parked was a nightmare and they had to leave us in a holding area for a while and then it was loads of waiting in the terminal. A total nightmare.

Instead very simply they could have emailed everyone the night before and said stick to your arrival group but it will be that time plus 5 hours and let everyone know they would be strict about only letting those with the correct arrival group into the terminal. The car parking and terminal staff would then not have been juggling arrivals and departures at the same time and the ship would still have left at the same time which was 5 hours later than it meant to. I guess what still wouldn’t have helped was the fire alarm, but far less disruptive if they’d organised things properly.

8 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

You forgot to mention the fire alarm going off in the terminal during disembarkation too! Fortunately we had just exited the building, but still missed our excursion to Stonehenge on our way to Heathrow. Some never made it off the ship until 2:30pm, but we still had a fabulous cruise and can’t wait to visit Norway again!

Just now, RetrieverBeliever said:

You forgot to mention the fire alarm going off in the terminal during disembarkation too! Fortunately we had just exited the building, but still missed our excursion to Stonehenge on our way to Heathrow. Some never made it off the ship until 2:30pm, but we still had a fabulous cruise and can’t wait to visit Norway again!

For me being from the UK with no flight to catch, I would have loved being delayed getting off the ship.I would have kicked back and relaxed until it was absolutely time to get off 🙂

17 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Jinxed

19 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We were sailing for 6 weeks with him last winter in the Caribbean and had no issues.  We really enjoyed the Captain.

Must be Northern Europe sailings or the ship. JMO

Mother Nature and the ship maintenance issues.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We were sailing for 6 weeks with him last winter in the Caribbean and had no issues.  We really enjoyed the Captain.

Must be Northern Europe sailings or the ship. JMO

I feel like too many people are too quick to point fingers and blame others for their unhappiness. It's like saying I'm upset at the captain because the sun is not out.

• Like 1