Luxury Bedding Coming to Royal Caribbean!

I knew it was only a matter of time. With Holland America, Cunard, and even Carnival implementing luxury bedding, Royal Caribbean had to be next in line. I assume Celebrity Cruises will receive similar treatment? After all, Celebrity uses the same current bedding that Royal Caribbean does.

Frankly the bedding on Royal Caribbean is pretty atrocious. Royal Caribbean doesn't really use mattresses, but foam pads on a steel frame. After a year or so the foam pads sag in the middle and look horrible ... not to mention they are not very comfortable.

This is a huge investment on the part of RCI, especially when you think of how many beds they have fleet wide. None the less, it is much needed.

Ernie

I heard about this a few months ago from someone at rci. Thanks for posting the article. I am SOOO glad it is true. I will be on Freedom in Oct and I can't wait. The beds have always been the WORST part of cruising for me. No I don't have to worry anymore.

Okay - I'm going to make the type of post I normally don't like..........

Ernie - did they give a schedule of which ships will get the bedding when? I'm curious because I'm on the Radiance in November and would LOVE to have the new bedding! Got off the Carnival Liberty last month and that mattress and the linens were just absolutely fantastic!

This is good to see. I hope they will now have sheets that don't come off the bed while I sleep.

Sorry, but to offset the cost of the new beds you will no longer get any sheets or pillow cases. Passengers now need to bring their own bed linens with them....:rolleyes:

Oh please, let them do the Navigator by December!

I hate sheets and blankets and detest it when the bottom sheet keeps popping off the corners in the night :(

This sounds like the Marriott bedding package, like sleeping on a cloud!

I have never understood why some hotels and apparently cruise ship cabins have such awful bedding most of the time :confused:

I had seen in another post that you can request an egg crate type pad for the bed when you get on board. I'm on Serenade in April - has anyone done this, heard about it? Does it help? I hate when the beds are awful. This is our first cruise and I'm sure our excitement will get us through the sleeping on crappy beds but still would like to get a little rest (even if its only 3-4 hours).

Okay - I'm going to make the type of post I normally don't like..........

Ernie - did they give a schedule of which ships will get the bedding when? I'm curious because I'm on the Radiance in November and would LOVE to have the new bedding! Got off the Carnival Liberty last month and that mattress and the linens were just absolutely fantastic!

Here is a link to the story (I hope it works) ....

http://*****.com/rjx64

I originally had the full story included in my post (giving full credit to the source), but I guess that was against the rules.

Unfortunately there is no timeline except that it will be fleetwide by 2007. FREEDOM OF THE SEAS will debut with the new bedding, and Royal Caribbean has just under 50,000 beds to make over!

The new beds are a complete make-over, not just mattresses. The new bed frames are even meant to eliminate sagging. For those that like the twins pushed together to make a queen size, the mattresses will have a special feature that will eliminate the "gap". Sounds cool.

Like I said earlier, I'm hoping Celebrity will get the same treatment.

Ernie

Royal Caribbean. The line plans a fleetwide upgrade of bedding (from mattresses to sheets) starting in May (to be completed by May 2007).

This was from a USAToday article.

I was hoping for a timeline as we are cruising in November. I guess that just means I need to find one for June of 07 so I am sure I get to check out the new bedding!

I hope that the new bedding concept doesn't just cover the sheets and blankets - here's praying for new mattresses! :p

Your prayers will come true! It's new mattresses and even bed frames! In the words of Adam Goldstein, President of Royal Caribbean .. "it's an extreme makeover".

Ernie

I had seen in another post that you can request an egg crate type pad for the bed when you get on board. I'm on Serenade in April - has anyone done this, heard about it? Does it help? I hate when the beds are awful. This is our first cruise and I'm sure our excitement will get us through the sleeping on crappy beds but still would like to get a little rest (even if its only 3-4 hours).

It helps quite a lot. They also have a supply of down pillows, so if you don't like the ones in your cabin, you can ask your cabin steward to get you one or two of those, too.

Here is the "official" press release from Royal Caribbean.

Ernie

==============================================

Royal Caribbean International Announces Fleet-Wide Revamp of Bedding Program

MIAMI, March 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Sleeping on a cruise ship never felt so good! Guests cruising with Royal Caribbean International will soon experience the ultimate in relaxation and rejuvenation with the introduction of a new fleet-wide bedding program. The program, designed to enhance the sleep experience, includes an extreme makeover from bed frames to covers and includes:

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20060314/FLTU016 )

* New bed frames designed to prevent sagging;

* Nine-inch-thick spring mattresses with separate two-inch-thick micro-fiber

pillow tops;

* 220-thread-count long-staple cotton-blend sheets;

* Two micro-fiber pillows, plus one decorative pillow;

* Duvet with cotton-blend covers;

* Bed skirts; and

* Colored bed scarves placed at the end of the beds to protect the duvet.

"Though we think bedtime is the last thing on anyone's mind while on a Royal Caribbean cruise, we do realize that sleeping well is essential to our guest's vacation experience," said Adam Goldstein, president. "As with other Royal Caribbean enhancements, our new bedding program will provide our guests with a compelling stateroom experience."

The cruise line also has created a solution to the dreaded gap that invariably forms when two twin beds are pushed together to form one larger, queen-size bed. Custom-designed pillow tops are doubled over when placed atop twin beds, but are unfolded and laid on top of one another and the mattresses to create a queen-size, gap-free mattress.

The new bedding program will make its debut in May on Royal Caribbean's newest ship, Freedom of the Seas, and will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet by May 2007.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise vacation company with 19 ships in service and two under construction, including Freedom of the Seas. The company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe. Additional information can be found on the company's web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com or by calling 800-327-6700.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean International

CONTACT: Tracy Quan, +1-305-539-6577, or tquan@rccl.com, or Lyan Sierra-Caro,

+1-305-539-4091, or lsierracaro@rccl.com, both of Royal Caribbean

Archived