AARP Rewards eGift Cards

Uncle Sugar

4 hours ago, JoseyP said:

STILL can't buy anything after calling again. This lady said to wait an hour after taking out the ad blocker.  Waited an hour and a half. No luck. Tried just buying another food gift card. I can't.  I am blocked and don't know why. Good thing i had no trouble in May and was able to save some money on my cruise. Final payment was today.     

AARP is supposed to contact me soon. What a pain. Paid a bit more for my cruise  on my final payment because of this problem.

Sorry you were not able to purchase more gift cards and AARP was not able to figure out why your account is blocked. If they do not fix, in the future do you have any friends or family that can buy the Gift cards since you do not need to be an AARP member.

The gift cards are not ‘assigned’ to a particular person, so once bought, anyone can use as long as you have the card number and pin, which means you should treat these like ‘cash’ and only share numbers and pins with people who need to know.

When redeeming on board, Guest services will want a paper copy for their records. My TA only needs the card number and pin to process to pay for my cruise balances and same if calling into Princess to make a payment or using the Payments tab in your cruise Personalizer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoseyP said:

STILL can't buy anything after calling again. This lady said to wait an hour after taking out the ad blocker.  Waited an hour and a half. No luck. Tried just buying another food gift card. I can't.  I am blocked and don't know why. Good thing i had no trouble in May and was able to save some money on my cruise. Final payment was today.     

AARP is supposed to contact me soon. What a pain. Paid a bit more for my cruise  on my final payment because of this problem.

Maybe if you gave us more info about your computer we can get to the bottom of your problem. What type of computer (PC vs Mac). What browser. What version operating system?

And...just to make sure we're all on the same page here...you are logging into the AARP Rewards area?

@JoseyP, I just checked and NOW the Princess gift cards are listed as MEMBERS ONLY, so I will assume, this might be why you are locked out from purchasing as AARP was getting their software updated. 

I believe you previously said you are not a member of AARP?

17 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@JoseyP, I just checked and NOW the Princess gift cards are listed as MEMBERS ONLY, so I will assume, this might be why you are locked out from purchasing as AARP was getting their software updated. 

I believe you previously said you are not a member of AARP?

I just checked again and member only banner is gone, calling AARP to find out ?

4 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I just checked again and member only banner is gone, calling AARP to find out ?

So if you do a search at the redeem page, the Princess gift cards will show WITHOUT a members only banner, but if you just scroll down when ALL the gift cards display and get to Princess, the members only banner will show.

Call into AARP and agent verified this ‘error’ but they did confirm, Princess gift cards are NOT members only.

14 minutes ago, wallyj said:

So if you do a search at the redeem page, the Princess gift cards will show WITHOUT a members only banner, but if you just scroll down when ALL the gift cards display and get to Princess, the members only banner will show.

Call into AARP and agent verified this ‘error’ but they did confirm, Princess gift cards are NOT members only.

wow, it's crazy.  They wrote me back but no real answer yet.    I am a very low tech person, and do not have or do anything on a smart phone. Did shut down over night and will try now.

Oh gosh, it's real crazy.  I see where now the Princess cards are members only, but they are NOT members only as you say.  and now I can't even get one into my cart......I give up for now. If i could get one into the cart, I can try to buy it.

Good thing i have a credit card where i can get low dollar amt ones for free with points.

5 hours ago, Mjkny said:

Just purchased 5 of them no issues $500 each.

$2500. worth saved $200.

Lucky you!! I was able to in May, but not now. Bought 3.

Posted (edited)

Seems like this could all be solved by just joining AARP? Not sure why you wouldn't. It's incredibly cheap and has a lot of benefits (these giftcards being an excellent example). You even get OBC for being an AARP member on HAL.

Edited by JamieLogical

4 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

Oh gosh, it's real crazy.  I see where now the Princess cards are members only, but they are NOT members only as you say.  and now I can't even get one into my cart......I give up for now. If i could get one into the cart, I can try to buy it.

Good thing i have a credit card where i can get low dollar amt ones for free with points.

Try and see if you can bring up the Princess gift cards by typing Princess in the search bar. When I did this, the 2 Princess gift cards show WITHOUT the members only banner, see if you can then put them in your cart. Look when you scroll down to see ALL REWARDS, there should be a filter button and next to it a search bar where you can type Princess. 

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Seems like this could all be solved by just joining AARP? Not sure why you wouldn't. It's incredibly cheap and has a lot of benefits (these giftcards being an excellent example). You even get OBC for being an AARP member on HAL.

It's not a matter of that. I dislike their politics. But i would rejoin in the future. I have been a member before. I should be able to buy these cards without being a member. Rejoining will not solve the problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

It's not a matter of that. I dislike their politics. But i would rejoin in the future. I have been a member before. I should be able to buy these cards without being a member. Rejoining will not solve the problem.

I am a member and was able to buy five gift cards without issue on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Try and see if you can bring up the Princess gift cards by typing Princess in the search bar. When I did this, the 2 Princess gift cards show WITHOUT the members only banner, see if you can then put them in your cart. Look when you scroll down to see ALL REWARDS, there should be a filter button and next to it a search bar where you can type Princess. 

Tried this. got the Princess cards to come up, but can't even get them into a cart. No red button appears, where it did last night. So it's even worse. Thanks for your thoughts.

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am a member and was able to buy five gift cards without issue on Sunday.

It is an IT issue.  Not if i am a member or not.  I called twice about this, and nobody said it was a membership problem. Like i said, I bought them in May.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

Tried this. got the Princess cards to come up, but can't even get them into a cart. No red button appears, where it did last night. So it's even worse. Thanks for your thoughts.

Now it is saying members only.  Well!  I give up for now. Gotta do other things. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If they solve it, i'll tell you!  But the problem seems to have gotten worse today!   Even tried a chat but she was no help at all.

Edited by JoseyP

Hey, I just logged in under a friends name and email.  Princess is coming up as members only no matter what i do, so maybe they are changing it to that. Then i'll have to join.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it's me again,

Well, they have been in touch with me, and told me i'd have to be on the computer with them (aarp). but I tried putting food gift cards in my cart and buying them, and amazingly enough, it all went thru! My eyes widened when i saw that happen.

It looks like they made the Princess cards members only, so I guess i'll have to rejoin if I want those cards, and others.  I'll be joining soon and trying to get a few cards!          Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

24 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

Hi, it's me again,

Well, they have been in touch with me, and told me i'd have to be on the computer with them (aarp). but I tried putting food gift cards in my cart and buying them, and amazingly enough, it all went thru! My eyes widened when i saw that happen.

It looks like they made the Princess cards members only, so I guess i'll have to rejoin if I want those cards, and others.  I'll be joining soon and trying to get a few cards!          Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

You have to be a member of the AARP Rewards...not necessarily the actual AARP.  Maybe you're correct and they have changed something...but it has always been kicked around here on CC that you did NOT have to join AARP with a paid membership.  AARP Rewards is supposed to be free.