AARP Rewards eGift Cards

bhawks9

43 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Maybe Princess is closing the loophole for abuse of gift cards, which are clearly being used as a cruise discount, not as a gift. 

Who says that you have to use a gift card as a gift?  It's a purchase that is made without restrictions as to how it's utilized and redeemed.  Carnival and HAL still have cards available at a 10% discount, yet the powers that be from Princess have decided to eliminate the purchase option.  SMH

• Like 4

I too have been purchasing the 8% discounted Princess gift cards from AARP.  After it appears this is not possible at this time, I searched elsewhere.  I have found that my local credit union offers a program called "Prizeout," which allows one to buy various different merchant gift cards at discounted prices.   I can get Princess gift cards at a 9% discount.   The only drawback is that I have to purchase these through my credit union checking account (all done through my online account) and cannot purchase them with a credit card (which gives me additional rewards).  To see whether or not your particular bank or credit union provides this, or something similar, is worth a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mostly use Amex for most of my purchases.  The problem with Amex is that they offer so many rewards on a rotating basis, I would need to sort through too many other rewards first.

By the way, I don't think people using the cards to discount a cruise is 'abuse.'  My last cruise was a gift to DW for our anniversary.  Princess doesn't need to know why I'm taking a cruise, just that I am.  Princess is getting my money waaay before final payment when I use the gift cards.  That's money in their pocket that isn't even being used yet by the customer, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they're using my money as soon as they get it.  Princess benefits from selling discounted gift cards.  Look at the response I got from AARP where they were steering me to other lines instead of Princess.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

By the way, I don't think people using the cards to discount a cruise is 'abuse.'  My last cruise was a gift to DW for our anniversary.  Princess doesn't need to know why I'm taking a cruise, just that I am.  Princess is getting my money waaay before final payment when I use the gift cards.  That's money in their pocket that isn't even being used yet by the customer, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they're using my money as soon as they get it.  Princess benefits from selling discounted gift cards.  Look at the response I got from AARP where they were steering me to other lines instead of Princess.

Well said!  Thank you!  

I also consider them a gift to myself, and my DW, for all the hard work in life that has allowed the financial ability to continue cruising.

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 3

Earlier this year, the Princess cards were available through AARP Rewards without having to be a member of AARP to purchase them.  I bought several for trips in the second quarter of 2024 and used them for onboard purchases.  The last one I purchased without being a member was in July.  In August, I sat down to purchase more and found that I had to join AARP because the Princess cards had become a "Member Only" benefit.  The $12 I paid to join was worth it for the savings, but the only reason I joined was for these cards.  I purchased three of them on Sept 25th, and when I sat down three days ago to buy more, they were gone.  I realize that there was no guarantee that this would be available, but it is highly disappointing that we no longer have this savings avenue.  And YES, an 8% discount means more to some of us than others since it stretches our vacation dollars.  I hope Princess executives are reading this thread and understanding that this means a lot to people.  Hope everyone has a great day. 🙈🙉🙊    

• Like 2