Why do Oceania’s cookies have no taste?

Woodrowst

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

I bake with American butter an I buy Kerry Gold to use on toast/potatoes, etc.  I love butter and wanted to try some French Butter.  I've purchased Plugra' if I'm baking sable'.  

Try Land O' Lakes butter. I think it's the best of American mainstream brands.

One of our cooking class chefs on Oceania once told us that she also thought the cookies were terrible and she told us why.  They mix everything together at once.  Any good cookie maker creams the butter and sugar together, then the eggs and other liquid ingredients. Then you put the flour and other dry ingredients in.  She told the bakers that many times, but for some reason I don’t recall, they won’t change. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clutj said:

One of our cooking class chefs on Oceania once told us that she also thought the cookies were terrible and she told us why.  They mix everything together at once.  Any good cookie maker creams the butter and sugar together, then the eggs and other liquid ingredients. Then you put the flour and other dry ingredients in.  She told the bakers that many times, but for some reason I don’t recall, they won’t change. 

And we have an answer! Thanks! 😃

I could not agree more about the flavourless cookies - I tried them once and never again which is probably a good thing. I also found the Madeleines equally flavourless - also a good thing or I would munching on them all day.  

So - I am happy for then to stay as they are or I'll be carrying even more excess baggage at the end of our next  cruise.😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is great! I got a whole cruise completed since it started and it's still going 🙂

I tried a cookie (not sugar free) at Baristas the first day. If there was butter in that cookie, I couldn't taste it (and the texture was wrong). I went back to eating way too many of the little brown cakes...yum! I didn't suffer, and have 4 pounds to prove it 😉 Any dessert with fruit was amazing (OK, they were all amazing), and the cassis sorbet was nice and tart.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, temerarious said:

This thread is the perfect illustration of how subjective so many things are...  I've taken two Viking Ocean cruises, and I thought they had the worst cookies I've ever had on a cruise ship. (And NO variety.)  So funny!  (I'm so glad someone likes them, though!)

I'll be sailing on Oceania for the first time on July 17th.  I've now lowered my cookie expectations... but maybe your husband and I have opposite taste in cookies, so there might be hope.  🍪

I used to think they overbaked them. Then I realized that they served the same awful cookies on every Oceania ship.

Did anyone ever tell you why they are awful? It's really OK with me. I love the cheesecakes, keylime pies, sticky buns and those awesome mini cakes in Baristas.  🎂⚰️ It's better for me not to be tempted by delicious cookies.🍪

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 6:18 AM, Rainbow3fe said:

Did anyone ever tell you why they are awful?

One of our cooking class chefs on Oceania once told us that she also thought the cookies were terrible and she told us why.  They mix everything together at once.  Any good cookie maker creams the butter and sugar together, then the eggs and other liquid ingredients. Then you put the flour and other dry ingredients in.  She told the bakers that many times, but for some reason I don’t recall, they won’t change. 

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2023 at 4:48 AM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I are currently on the Nautica having embarked in Dubai and now entering the Red Sea on our way to Egypt.  We are having a wonderful cruise.  This is our 5th Oceania cruise and we have noticed on all of them that the cookies have no taste whatsoever.  This is clearly the exception since all of the other food is terrific.  So I thought I’d ask if anyone knows why Oceania bakes cookies that have no taste?  Please understand that this is not a complaint.  It would take a lot more than cardboard cookies to ruin our cruise.  I am simply looking for an explanation.

i also realize that the question can be read two ways.  The taste I am talking about involves ingredients.  It does not reference a cookie who wears shorts to dinner ☺️

I totally agree!  And I have been asking my husband (who has Type 2 Diabetes) why he insists on going into the Concierge Lounge on our way back to our suite....to grab these TASTELESS cookies!  I mean for Pete's sake.....there are other ways to misbehave and blow your diet!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

I totally agree!  And I have been asking my husband (who has Type 2 Diabetes) why he insists on going into the Concierge Lounge on our way back to our suite....to grab these TASTELESS cookies!  I mean for Pete's sake.....there are other ways to misbehave and blow your diet!

I agree.  There are so many different exciting desserts on Oceania.  I don't choose to waste my daily allotment of calories on those awful cookies. 🍪😎

• Like 2

Maybe they intentionally mix them so the texture is horrible, knowing they have to check the box and supply cookies or else people will complain, but they make terrible ones to keep consumption low and thus save costs.  They do have to make a lot of most of the other baked goods (croissants etc…), resulting in higher costs in that area…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Maybe they intentionally mix them so the texture is horrible, knowing they have to check the box and supply cookies or else people will complain, but they make terrible ones to keep consumption low and thus save costs.  They do have to make a lot of most of the other baked goods (croissants etc…), resulting in higher costs in that area…

It's strange because the croissants and other baked items are always fresh and delicious. They're wonderful and high quality. 😍 

Edited by Rainbow3fe
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

On Marina now.  In December, we thought that the cookies were bad.  Now they are even worse.  One bite and done.  They aren’t tasteless. They taste BAD. Baristas has nice sweets and excellent 

️ Enjoy Baristas and don't bother with those other cookies.🍪

Hopefully the sticky buns at Terrace Cafe were great.  Someone mentioned they weren't sticky enough last time. 😎

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Hopefully the sticky buns at Terrace Cafe were great.  Someone mentioned they weren't sticky enough last time. 😎

Maybe we need a new thread about why the sticky buns are not sticky enough!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

️ Enjoy Baristas and don't bother with those other cookies.🍪

I haven't tried the sticky buns since I have this weird thing about not liking sweet things in the morning, but they looked gooey on Regatta last week and there was sugary overflow left in the pan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I haven't tried the sticky buns since I have this weird thing about not liking sweet things in the morning, but they looked gooey on Regatta last week and there was sugary overflow left in the pan.

I'm so glad I didn't cancel my cruise when I heard about the lack of stickiness of the buns!

• Haha 2

I have another thought!  Since quite a few folks are telling me that O cookies suck, this creates a personal dilemma.  Like Cookie Monster, I do enjoy a decent cookie.  So now I face the awful dilemma of spending 35 days on the Vista without a decent cookie.  This should not happen to any man!  Since we embark from Miami, where there are plenty of decent bakeries, I wonder if I can bring aboard a supply of good cookies without being  charged a "cookie fee."  What say you?

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have another thought!  Since quite a few folks are telling me that O cookies suck, this creates a personal dilemma.  Like Cookie Monster, I do enjoy a decent cookie.  So now I face the awful dilemma of spending 35 days on the Vista without a decent cookie.  This should not happen to any man!  Since we embark from Miami, where there are plenty of decent bakeries, I wonder if I can bring aboard a supply of good cookies without being  charged a "cookie fee."  What say you?

Hank

The cakes, pastries, tarts and pies are fabulous. It's your call.🙃💥

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I think if you put the cookies inside bottles of wine you're okay. Big bottles.

• Haha 2