hotels Papeete and day rate rooms

LastSBwithG

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising on Oceania Nautica from Tahiti in Jan., 2024.  It is our second time on Nautica and 6th Oceania cruise.  First time in French Polynesia (celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary).  We are at the Hilton the night before embarkation.  Some research on line indicates that on disembarkation day, you can just hang at the Hilton lobby (have lunch there, maybe take a 1/2 day tour, use the public restrooms).  I got the gist that any day room rental would be the same or close to the nightly rate which is high (as I’m sure it is at the Intercontinental).

We chose the Hilton over the Intercon after reading a LOT of reviews and deciding based on what we were interested in.  On disembark day, since our flight leaves late at night, we are just going to pretend we are still on the ship…read books on our e-readers, sip some wine or a cold beer, look at the ocean.  We can sleep on the plane…we’ll be used to the time difference by then!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your cruise!

11 minutes ago, Wynterwynd said:

We are cruising on Oceania Nautica from Tahiti in Jan., 2024.  It is our second time on Nautica and 6th Oceania cruise.  First time in French Polynesia (celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary).  We are at the Hilton the night before embarkation.  Some research on line indicates that on disembarkation day, you can just hang at the Hilton lobby (have lunch there, maybe take a 1/2 day tour, use the public restrooms).  I got the gist that any day room rental would be the same or close to the nightly rate which is high (as I’m sure it is at the Intercontinental).

We chose the Hilton over the Intercon after reading a LOT of reviews and deciding based on what we were interested in.  On disembark day, since our flight leaves late at night, we are just going to pretend we are still on the ship…read books on our e-readers, sip some wine or a cold beer, look at the ocean.  We can sleep on the plane…we’ll be used to the time difference by then!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your cruise!

If you are an IHG One Rewards FF, and you’ve arranged for a day room months in advance, you’ll find that the Intercontinental’s day rates are very very reasonable (and it includes lunch.

FWIW: just stayed there this past March (umpteenth time) for several days post-cruise and always find it to be a wonderful experience.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We booked the Airport Hotel for the night as our flight left at 3am.The rooms are basic but far cheaper than the Hilton and other chains. The only food options are the takeaway outlets at the airport. My biggest regret was not booking a tour around Papeete, even a half day tour would have been good. It was a long boring day, being Sunday nothing was open. 

On 6/20/2023 at 2:07 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you are an IHG One Rewards FF, and you’ve arranged for a day room months in advance, you’ll find that the Intercontinental’s day rates are very very reasonable (and it includes lunch.

FWIW: just stayed there this past March (umpteenth time) for several days post-cruise and always find it to be a wonderful experience.

I am an IHG Rewards member but I am not sure how to arrange this…the website is less than helpful.  Any suggestions welcome!  We dock at 5am and flight is at 8:40pm. Happy to pay for a room if I can figure out how to arrange it.

15 minutes ago, Wynterwynd said:

I am an IHG Rewards member but I am not sure how to arrange this…the website is less than helpful.  Any suggestions welcome!  We dock at 5am and flight is at 8:40pm. Happy to pay for a room if I can figure out how to arrange it.

Concierge.Tahiti@ihg.com

Contact ASAP

• Like 1

When I sailed on the PG, we also had a very late night flight. We booked  a day room at the Tahiti Nui hotel. Only about a 2 block walk from the ship. Right in downtown near restaurants and shops and they have a nice pool. Rooms are basic but for the price it was perfect. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We are cruising on the Nautica next February so I'm searching for what we will do between disembarking the ship and going to the airport for our 10:40 PM flight.

When the Pacific Princess used to do this itinerary they used to let travelers keep their luggage on the ship on the final day.  Does Oceania do that?

I accessed the link for the day pass at the Intercontinental Hotel but don't see that the use of a shower is included.  I can write to them to ask but was just curious if anyone here has any recent experience.

I'm actually surprised that Oceania doesn't have a debark tour listed for Papeete.  Does anyone know if one will be offered onboard?

On 6/10/2023 at 2:08 PM, madera1 said:

We were able to get day use at the Intercontinental in Papeete this April. We also had the use of a day room for about half hour to shower and change. I think we paid $80pp and that included lunch. 

Were you cruising with Paul Gaugan?  I think they have a special arrangement

18 minutes ago, LastSBwithG said:

We could not get a day room.  Reserved for  Paul Gaugin and Windstar cruiser clients only.  Best we could do was a day pass to the pool and a booked lunch. Since we are on Oceana. 

Thanks for the quick response.  I assume that there is at least a secure place to keep your luggage?  And hopefully an outdoor shower to at least freshen up a bit before departing to the airport?  If you've already done this or have answers would love to hear more!

No use of showers at the intercontinental, even with the purchase of a day pass - they will hold your luggage.  
The airport is closed until about 2 hours before the first flights leave.  You can’t check in or go through security, and the lounge doesn’t open until security opens.

we reserved a day pass but didn’t use it.  The upscale restaurant menu did not appeal to us and no one seemed to be interested in taking our money.  Even with a day pass you do not get WiFi.  They gave us the code because we stayed at the hotel before our cruise l

We ended up hanging around the hotel pool on loungers, then ate in the main restaurant instead and sat in the main lounge until we went to the airport.

Recommend renting a car or booking a day tour unless you like to hang around a pool all day.

• Like 1

Booked day room back in 2017 on Seirna. Had to call hotel direct made reservation. Then 5 days before had the Purser  call hotel to confirm after we left Hawaii. Got off ship at around 9 am took taxi TO IHG checked  in at 9:30 Had to wait till 10 to go to room.

It was great

I've now reached out to both the Intercontinental and Hilton to ask them about day rooms to see if I have any luck there (and if their policies may have changed).  A friend also found the generic information in the screenshot below on the Oceania website so I'm going to ask our TA if she can find out if this is available for our cruise and if so what the pricing would be.  Will post back when I find more answers but I appreciate all of the input so far!  It's our first time with Oceania and first time staying in Tahiti so it's great to be able to have a group of experienced cruisers to answer questions.

image.thumb.png.b0a26a0881e5aa4ede71a8ea9f3c1739.png

On 6/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, LastSBwithG said:

We are staying there for three nights before the cruise.  Glad to hear that you liked it.  I’ll contact them directly& ask. Our travel agent said Intercontinental would not offer a day rate or The Pearl even though Oceana site said both would. 
Were you on a cruise of Tahiti?

We have a late night flight out of Papeete after our cruise. We just reserved a pool and lunch pass at the Intercontinental. They don’t have a day pass that includes a room and they had several options. I should add the pass we got is from 10am to 5pm, we have use of the pool area and a lunch at one of their restaurants ( the Tiare I think).

Edited by m1k2s3
  • Like 1

It is your only option.  All airports in FP connect thru Papeete.  International flights all go in and out of Papeete.  Unless you are sailing through Fiji or into Hawaii or SA, you fly to/from Papeete.

We typically stay on Bora Bora after the cruise and fly to Papeete a few hours before our international flight.  Air Tahiti inter island is really reliable.  It’s a nice mix of cruise and land and makes the late flights much easier.

Once when we stayed on Bora Bora precruise as opposed to post, we disembarked Marina and rented a car and circled the island while waiting for our flight.  It is beautiful once you get out of Papeete.  We went to the cultural museum, drove to the top of Tahiti Iti to the lookout, swam in waterfalls and hikes and swam at Teahupoo.  We booked a cheap hotel room at Hotel Sarah Nui, which we split with another couple from Marina, to shower and change after driving all day, then we had dinner at the food trucks at the port, then headed to the airport for our night flight.  It worked out really well.