another laundry question - never did it before on cruise

drpclarke

26 minutes ago, Brian V said:

Hmmm, maybe they look at them as walking shorts?

Well, somebody once accused me of being seen in the lounge in my boxers.  Did it happen?  Could have!  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Tony Soprano can walk down his driveway in his boxers to pick up his newspaper, SO CAN I. 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Bring less stuff, do no laundry!

That's how my husband and I cruise. We share a carry-on suitcase and we each bring a bookbag style backpack. We've cruised up to nine days with no need to do laundry...of course we re-wear clothes that were worn the day before. We find with the number of showers (two - three per day) and chillaxin' in the hot tub, we don't smell gross. 

We did complete one cruise with just bookbags. No carry-ons. It was a seven day cruise to Bermuda. The only reason we switched to the carry-on is that we need a place to store whatever we purchase in port/onboard. 

When working the same clothing did 8-12hrs sometimes longer if it was an after work before going home.

As you say regular showers and core outers should last a few sessions if only on short periods each time.

Still like a surplus of undies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm sure that there have been lost items, but I've never read such a report here on the forum, so it is likely a very rare occurrence.  I guess a tag could come off, but then you would likely just have to describe the item and have your Steward retrieve it.  I don't own any expensive clothing, so if something didn't make it back it would be no big deal.

One of my shirts was misplaced by the laundry on the Star a few years ago.  It was found and returned to me the following day.  I'll cut them some slack, though, as it was an NCL logo polo shirt and the laundry staff may have thought it belonged to a crew member instead of a passenger.  Other than that, I've never had a problem with lost laundry on more than 30 NCL cruises.

17 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Finally, when your clothes are returned, take time to remove all the orange/yellow tags they attach  to each piece of clothing.If you don't, six months or so down the road you may be reminded of your cruise by having an itch in the strangest places!!

I’m the opposite. I never look for the tags to take them off. I love finding them months, sometimes years later. It always make me smile when that happens. I guess I’ve been lucky that they haven’t cause itching in strange places. 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m the opposite. I never look for the tags to take them off. I love finding them months, sometimes years later. It always make me smile when that happens. I guess I’ve been lucky that they haven’t cause itching in strange places. 😊

Stuff that does not need pressing/ironing when washed at home take the longest to get them removed.

Often find them when the itch starts.

Found one on a Tommy button silk last week, can't remember last time/ship that went into laundry.

59 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Stuff that does not need pressing/ironing when washed at home take the longest to get them removed.

Often find them when the itch starts.

Found one on a Tommy button silk last week, can't remember last time/ship that went into laundry.

The tag has the cabin number … if you look up the past cruise confirmation you’ll find which cruise you had the shirt laundered. 

10 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

On the Spirit atm …. I was able to put 8 long sleeved sweaters/tshirts, and 5 short sleeved polo/tshirts into that flimsy bag sans problem!

Only a Bermudian could work that kind of magic!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is a great suggestion, one my wife and I implemented on our last cruise. And we got our laundry free since we were in a Club Balcony cabin.

So you are saying that if we are in a Club balcony suite, we get our laundry done for free?? I leave next week on the Getaway (Med cruise) and we are in one. I need confirmation on this please. TIA

5 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

So you are saying that if we are in a Club balcony suite, we get our laundry done for free?? I leave next week on the Getaway (Med cruise) and we are in one. I need confirmation on this please. TIA

You get one bag free. If you and yours or whomever is in the cabin are Latitudes Platinum or above, you each get an additional free bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Only a Bermudian could work that kind of magic!!

It’ll be a few pairs of jeans, long pants, etc in a couple days’ time once our 2nd leg 🦵 is underway. 

🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

If you and yours or whomever is in the cabin are Latitudes Platinum or above, you each get an additional free bag.

So for the platinum dinner perk, it is per cabin but the laundry perk is per person? Sweet, it's even better than I hoped for😎

I have always said, I don't give a darn about dinner with the second assistant navigator, not too jazzed about the "exclusive" cocktail party, jury is out on priority check in (we shall see after our next cruise😉), but man, free laundry?? Yes please. Free laundry twice????? Best. Perk. Ever! 🤩

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brian V said:

So for the platinum dinner perk, it is per cabin but the laundry perk is per person? Sweet, it's even better than I hoped for😎

I have always said, I don't give a darn about dinner with the second assistant navigator, not too jazzed about the "exclusive" cocktail party, jury is out on priority check in (we shall see after our next cruise😉), but man, free laundry?? Yes please. Free laundry twice????? Best. Perk. Ever! 🤩

With three free laundries, it's amazing how much less you have to pack!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brian V said:

jury is out on priority check in (we shall see after our next cruise😉)

It's both "priority check in" (i.e. a special line after security to the check in desks) but also priority boarding (Platinum and above board before all numbered boarding groups).  Both can be very useful or not depending upon the cruise.  We took the first Bliss sailing from AK in April.  It was absolutely surreal.  Alaskan Way was calm.  We were allowed to enter the terminal promptly at 9:30.  Through initial document check and security in about ten minutes.  No wait to check in (other than they had sent some of the key cars to the wrong place).  Fast forward another ten minutes and, armed with our key cards, we just walked on the ship. Cabins were all ready.  The Local was open for drinks, and allowed lunch ordering shortly after.  I think we were seated with the first beer at 10:15.  I want to do THAT again. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The Local was open for drinks, and allowed lunch ordering shortly after.  I think we were seated with the first beer at 10:15.

OK, the jury is IN on priority boarding...add to my list of perks that are NOT a waste of time 👍

I usually try and get around 10:30 for a check in, usually gets us aboard by 11:30 but...10:15, drink in hand, pondering the lunch menu?

Count me in🥂

Edited by Brian V
typo
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Brian V said:

OK, the jury is on on priority boarding...add to my list of perks that are NOT a waste of time 👍

I usually try and get around 10:30 for a check in, usually gets us aboard by 11:30 but...10:15, drink in hand, pondering the lunch menu?

Count me in🥂

I misled you there.  The quick boarding was mostly because it was the first sailing of the season and the ship came in empty.  I doubt anybody waited to board that day.  That said, I have benefitted from the priority boarding on other cruises, although we are usually there bright and early anyway.  We were delayed getting to MCT last September, and didn't get to the checkin desk until about 10:30.  We were able to walk right on without waiting because of Platinum status.  First beer o-clock that day was around 11.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The quick boarding was mostly because it was the first sailing of the season and the ship came in empty. 

Ah, thought that might have been the case 🙂

Still, check in through a shorter line, straight to the ship after (assuming a zero count)...not so bad 👍

So laundry, dinners, priority...yeah, I guess I might like that 😎

• Like 1

It's rare, but it happens: On the Getaway last summer my laundry was returned with several items missing. I took a photo before sending laundry so I knew what was missing. There was a voicemail on my cabin phone that asked me to visit Guest Services. It didn't say why, but I had a hunch. They brought out my missing laundry - covered in black specks. Turns out, they forgot to check pockets and some of my clothes (about five pieces) were washed with somebody's black pen (not mine!). They apologized. They offered 50% of the value of the clothing as compensation and took my word on the value. They kept the clothes to discard - If I wanted to keep them they wouldn't have paid. I was glad I hadn't packed too light, so still had sufficient clothing to finish the cruise. Now, I bear this in mind when I pack and when I send clothes to the laundry, to ensure I won't launder something I would be sad to lose and that I have a few things left to wear.

On 6/5/2023 at 3:55 PM, drpclarke said:

Hello cruisers!

Getting ready to pack for my cruise, (7 days Greece/Turkey on the Jade) and would like to keep things as minimal as possible..

so, if I was to get laundry done on the cruise, how much does it cost and how long does it take (and what's the chance of not getting the right stuff back?)

Trying to decide if the lesser evil is to bring more stuff or do laundry on the ship. Thanks!

Rachel

you are only going for 7 days, why pack for a month?  If you pack much lighter, just think of all the souvenir clothes you can u  purchase.  Greece and Turkey have some very nice, lightweight clothing for men and women that you will not find in the states.  No one cares if you wear the same outfit more than once.  you will see many folks wearing the same thing for the entire cruise ( mostly men).  Pack light, and keep your open for those special purchases.

• Like 1

I sent the laundry out yesterday and just got them back today evening - quick turnaround service. While the clothes are washed and neatly folded, I’m not quite impressed with the wash quality. They don’t use the fabric softener nor the dryer sheets. The detergent is unscented. So the clothes don’t feel as soft and smell nice like I wash it myself. After doing the behind the scene tour, they will mix your clothes with other dirty clothes from your dear smelly guests - keep in mind that your favorite dress is being washed together with dirty underwear from uncle Joe. I probably re-wash them again when I get back home. 

😁

4393AF4A-0515-48DB-BCEC-22E901286339.thumb.jpeg.d3fffe43dd9342d930f15176752e5685.jpeg

01B4C64F-4866-4297-9949-C27F7932BD5B.thumb.jpeg.5130df91ff10d92218675e85db587080.jpeg

On 6/6/2023 at 12:54 PM, bluesea777 said:

It’ll be a few pairs of jeans, long pants, etc in a couple days’ time once our 2nd leg 🦵 is underway. 

🤣😎

2nd load submitted this morning … managed to put in bag carefully 2prs jeans, 3 prs slacks/long pants, 3 long sleeved & 2 short sleeved and 1 dress shirt.

Yeah, I’m a Bermudian!!