Behind the Scenes Tour cost?

SarahHben

Hello

I wondered if any of know how much the Behind the Scenes Tour costs on Ventura? I noticed when looking at my cruise personaliser that it is an option but no mention of how much it costs. 

Thank you.

a behind the scenes tour sounds fab.  Is it available on all P&O ships?  Where do I find the cruise personaliser to see if it's available on my cruise?  I've had a quick look at my account and can't see anything

40 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

a behind the scenes tour sounds fab.  Is it available on all P&O ships?  Where do I find the cruise personaliser to see if it's available on my cruise?  I've had a quick look at my account and can't see anything

Maybe it’s only me that calls it the cruise personaliser. It’s where you log in on the P&O website with your booking reference number, name & date of birth. Then the Travel Extras tab and it mentions the tour with the other welcome on board gifts like flowers etc. it says there’s limited places and you have to ask at reception once on board.

IMG_8511.png

I will be onboard Azura in 3 weeks time.  One of the first things I will be enquiring about will be this.  They were not doing them back in March when we were onboard.  Will let you know then unless someone can update before hand.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

From memory I think I paid £75 for the behind the scenes tour in 2018, so it may well be more now.

Just now, jaydee6969 said:

I will be onboard Azura in 3 weeks time.  One of the first things I will be enquiring about will be this.  They were not doing them back in March when we were onboard.  Will let you know then unless someone can update before hand.

Thank you both for that.

I think my husband would really enjoy a tour if I can book us onto it.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Maybe it’s only me that calls it the cruise personaliser. It’s where you log in on the P&O website with your booking reference number, name & date of birth. Then the Travel Extras tab and it mentions the tour with the other welcome on board gifts like flowers etc. it says there’s limited places and you have to ask at reception once on board.

IMG_8511.png

Great - thanks for that - have now found it.  Sounds very interesting

• Like 1

I can’t remember the price, but it wasn’t cheap. However, it’s a great experience and worth the money IMHO. 

Unless it’s changed, the tour takes a few hours and covers such areas as the ‘M1’ (the main thoroughfare on the principal crew deck), the engine control room (just computers - you don’t see the engines unfortunately), cold rooms, the print room (where they print Horizon etc), food storage areas and large chiller rooms, the bridge and behind the scenes in the theatre. In each area there are senior crew members who will explain what goes on.

I think I’ve done it on 3 different ships and the last time was on Britannia. There was a stop mid tour in one of the MDRs for a drink and some very nice cakes. During the bridge visit (and in the theatre) a ships photographer would take pictures and you are given a complimentary one at the end. Right at the end of the tour we had a glass of fizz and a Q&A with Captain Paul Brown. 

As I say, it might have all changed now, but it’s a unique experience and I found it very enjoyable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh I didn’t know they were doing these again. I also would love to do one or even two on the next two cruises we have booked ( different ships) 

@SarahHben btw I call it Cruise Personaliser as well as that as I understand it is what it is called but calling it account is just as good 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Did it for free on one cruise many moons ago.  Certainly wouldn't pay for it.

By the accounts I've read the free one which, I also did a couple of many moons ago, is a very different affair from the three or four hour tour, including a special hosted high tea that this thread refers to.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

We've done this tour on 3 ships and it has been well worth the money. It was about £75. Sometimes it isn't publicised and you need to go to Guest Services asap, ask if there is one and book on it. Its worked for us every time and can't ever remember seeing it advertised at all. May have all changed now  suppose. Whatever get it booked and have a great time. 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Did it for free on one cruise many moons ago.  Certainly wouldn't pay for it.

I suppose when I did it, we spent an hour on the bridge which was fascinating.  They don't do that now.  My husband also visited the engine room.  I have no interest in the galleys or high tea.

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I suppose when I did it, we spent an hour on the bridge which was fascinating.  They don't do that now.  My husband also visited the engine room.  I have no interest in the galleys or high tea.

The bridge is still listed as one of the places you tour.

And the galley and high tea would be most welcome from this cruiser.  As would the other places you get to visit.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

@SarahHben Just came back off Arcadia this morning, and I thought you might like an update.

Arcadia has started the tours up again, and as I understand it the only ship at present with the aim to restarting on others soon.  Perhaps @molecrochip has an update?

I was too late by the time I spotted the advert on screens about the ship, the waiting list for this was very long for a limited number of places.  Price quoted was £75 and on the penultimate sea day we happened to be passing the group as they were about to head off into the unknown below deck areas etc.

• Thanks 3

I did the tour on Arcadia in August, it was £75. We saw behind the scenes in the theatre, a dressing room,with the Headliners' Team Leader explaining how they do quick changes and have to launder and repair the costumes, and the sound and light area. Then the stores area, a kitchen and chat with head chef. We saw a crew only area at the front to the ship which houses the ropes and we could see the anchor. I liked that bit the best. There's no accounting for taste! We walked down to the crew area and saw their canteen. Then the engineering room - just computers. Then the bridge. If you haven't been in side the bridge it's very spacious. There was a look out and 3 officers on duty. Finally down to the Crow's nest for a sandwich and one drink. My only gripe is that the refreshments were stingy. Some officers came down to chat. I am glad I did it.

Edited by Cathygh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I did the tour on Arcadia in August, it was £75. We saw behind the scenes in the theatre, a dressing room,with the Headliners' Team Leader explaining how they do quick changes and have to launder and repair the costumes, and the sound and light area. Then the stores area, a kitchen and chat with head chef. We saw a crew only area at the front to the ship which houses the ropes and we could see the anchor. I liked that bit the best. There's no accounting for taste! We walked down to the crew area and saw their canteen. Then the engineering room - just computers. Then the bridge. If you haven't been in side the bridge it's very spacious. There was a look out and 3 officers on duty. Finally down to the Crow's nest for a sandwich and one drink. My only gripe is that the refreshments were stingy. Some officers came down to chat. I am glad I did it.

I've been tempted by the tour, but have always felt that £75 was a bit steep. If they reduced the price to say £50 I'd probably do it. But I suppose if they can get a full complement of passengers willing to do it at £75 then they've no reason to drop the price.

4 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I've been tempted by the tour, but have always felt that £75 was a bit steep. If they reduced the price to say £50 I'd probably do it. But I suppose if they can get a full complement of passengers willing to do it at £75 then they've no reason to drop the price.

I did it a few years ago on a Ventura round trip Caribbean cruise, it is expensive but we had a ridiculous amount of OBC so it did not seem too bad. In hindsight it was worthwhile and I might be tempted to do it again if they start offering them on Iona and Arvia.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, jaydee6969 said:

@SarahHben Just came back off Arcadia this morning, and I thought you might like an update.

Arcadia has started the tours up again, and as I understand it the only ship at present with the aim to restarting on others soon.  Perhaps @molecrochip has an update?

I was too late by the time I spotted the advert on screens about the ship, the waiting list for this was very long for a limited number of places.  Price quoted was £75 and on the penultimate sea day we happened to be passing the group as they were about to head off into the unknown below deck areas etc.

Thank you. I'll look out for that on Britannia next May. We had a virtual bridge tour on Ventura in August, held in the Havana Club, it was very interesting.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you. I'll look out for that on Britannia next May. We had a virtual bridge tour on Ventura in August, held in the Havana Club, it was very interesting.

Us too, we will be enquiring with the hope of doing this.

• Like 1