Southampton home port

smokey01

When does Virtuosa switch from being home ported in Southampton to home ported in another European port (I presume when Southampton passengers start/end their cruise only in Southampton and broadcasts are in English only?). Will Euriba home port in Southampton?

When not home ported in Southampton does it really matter/spoil the ships ambiance?

Virtuosa leaves Southampton for the winter on 27th October (Euribia just happens to be in the port on the same day - a great photo opportunity of them beside each other).   I believe Euribia actually home ports in Hamburg when she begins her winter cruising of Hamburg, Rotterdam, Le Havre and Southampton and her announcements will be multi-national given she embarks at each port, currency is the Euro..   Virtuosa's ship announcements are in English when she's in Southampton and currency is the English pound.

Virtuosa returns to Southampton on the 22nd April 2024 for the summer.

We'll be on Euribia out of Southampton in March. Can anyone let me know if I should stay over night in Southampton or is it just fine to take the train from London the day of? I'd rather have a full day in London ahead and just take the train early in the morning.  I did search the port of call board, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

4 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

We'll be on Euribia out of Southampton in March. Can anyone let me know if I should stay over night in Southampton or is it just fine to take the train from London the day of? I'd rather have a full day in London ahead and just take the train early in the morning.  I did search the port of call board, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

In all honesty I’d travel the day beforehand. 

We live about 2 1/2 hours away by car and always stay the night before. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

Trains in the UK have been on strike on and off for the last year.   I would definitely (and do) want to stay in Southampton the night before.

The nearest hotels to the Horizon Terminal (where Euribia will berth) are:

Holiday Inn (Southampton)

The Moxy 

Premier Inn West Quay 

Novotel Southampton 

Leonardo Grand Harbour

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, showingdiva said:

Trains in the UK have been on strike on and off for the last year.   I would definitely (and do) want to stay in Southampton the night before.

The nearest hotels to the Horizon Terminal (where Euribia will berth) are:

Holiday Inn (Southampton)

The Moxy 

Premier Inn West Quay 

Novotel Southampton 

Leonardo Grand Harbour

There are also 2 Ibis on the Novotel plot they are the nearest 7min walk.

Holiday Inn next nearest around 10mins

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:53 PM, mnpurple said:

Do the full day in London and get a late train/coach to Southampton.

Boarding starts 10am so it's an early start from London

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:31 PM, johnnylincoln said:

The Virtuosa leaves Southampton on the 27th October 2023 for Dubai where she will spend the winter months. 

The Euribia then homeports in Southampton and does the Winter/Christmas Market cruises. 

Most likely the homeport will be Hamburg as it was for Virtuosa on the northern pearls itinerary.

@mnpurple if you just want a cheap hotel for the night before the Ibis Budget is across the road from the Horizon and we have been able to get rooms for £35 a night by booking early: the Ibis 3* and Novotel 4* are on the same complex and go up about £20-£30 per star for early booking. You can literally see the MSC ship from there, and there is a handy retail park for any last minute things you need, or 5 minutes walk to the main town shopping etc 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

google maps link .   

38 or 38/9 berth = QEII Cruise Terminal
46 berth = Ocean Cruise Terminal
101 berth = City Cruise Terminal
106 berth = Mayflower Cruise Terminal
102 berth = Horizon Cruise Terminal

berth 102 is between the fruit and City terminals  as is marked on that 2014 map.

its moved along a bit in line with the port gate 10 .

Keep an eye on the port schedule as they will nearly always update you before the cruise line does if any changes.

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

The three closest hotel are the Accor chain (ibis budget/Ibis/Novotel)

7 minute walk to the terminal without bags

They are also the closest to the train station.

National express coach is a bit further

next in rough order of walking all under 15mins no bags to Horizon are

holiday inn, Grand harbour, Pig in the wall, Moxi, Premier inn

Another budget option is the Travelodge(central) its closer to the bar and restaurant options and easy access to the mall.

This is our preference, we often have car so can drop bags park then walk.

the Accor are 10-15min walk to the town, but do have a McD and a TGI next door  

Loads of other options at various price points and locations.

For most places a taxi/uber should be under £10 all though do check when booking as some like to charge a fixed £10 for the short trips even when it should be £5-£6

For the UK people driving, parking starts under £4 day,  West Quay multi is £5,  Accor do a cruise package, the port parking using ABP is expensive. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

google maps link .   

38 or 38/9 berth = QEII Cruise Terminal
46 berth = Ocean Cruise Terminal
101 berth = City Cruise Terminal
106 berth = Mayflower Cruise Terminal
102 berth = Horizon Cruise Terminal

berth 102 is between the fruit and City terminals  as is marked on that 2014 map.

its moved along a bit in line with the port gate 10 .

Keep an eye on the port schedule as they will nearly always update you before the cruise line does if any changes.

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

The three closest hotel are the Accor chain (ibis budget/Ibis/Novotel)

7 minute walk to the terminal without bags

They are also the closest to the train station.

National express coach is a bit further

next in rough order of walking all under 15mins no bags to Horizon are

holiday inn, Grand harbour, Pig in the wall, Moxi, Premier inn

Another budget option is the Travelodge(central) its closer to the bar and restaurant options and easy access to the mall.

This is our preference, we often have car so can drop bags park then walk.

the Accor are 10-15min walk to the town, but do have a McD and a TGI next door  

Loads of other options at various price points and locations.

For most places a taxi/uber should be under £10 all though do check when booking as some like to charge a fixed £10 for the short trips even when it should be £5-£6

For the UK people driving, parking starts under £4 day,  West Quay multi is £5,  Accor do a cruise package, the port parking using ABP is expensive. 

Many thanks!!!

• Thanks 1

For Southampton the hotel prices can vary a lot as some days a lot of ships that attract visitors.

Even if not booked a cruise and just thinking can be worth booking refundable and chasing the price down when there are sales especially the chain hotels.

Join the loyalty even for the small base discounts.

Travelodge there is always a 5% discount available. 

MSC over the winter are often the only ship in on a Friday which gives options to go higher standard for not a lot more over the budget options.

• Like 1

@insidecabin thank you so much for the detailed answer. We couldn't resist booking the Euribia for a Feb 16th 2024 cruise out of Southampton. Crazy as it sounds, a YC room + economy airfare from Orlando to London was cheaper than a 7 night Caribbean YC out of Orlando or Miami for the same week in February. We are flying into Gatwick on the morning of the 15th and had planned to spend the whole day / sleep in London but now will pivot to a taxi tour of London post flight then head to Southampton as suggested. Can't imagine the stress of trying to arrange last-minute alternative port transport if the trains were not running the morning of the cruise from London. 

Will head over to the CC Port Boards in the next few months and try to figure out more of the fun tips re: Southampton, but I so appreciate all of the help to the OP which has definitely helped us!

Warmest, Amy

@amygutman
These Northern Pearl trips are great but do have some things to look out for.

We ended up on Virtuosa doing the itinerary a few  times, late bargains as the prices dropped for insides, only 2hrs drive  to the ship for us.

We will be looking out for the same this winter, last look no suitable YC for us yet.

The main consideration with planning is the weather, it can get very cold and we did have snow more than once in March.

Plenty of layers, warm footwear.

Have contingency for the ports,  we are happy with the ship as these ports are local and will do them another time if weather rubbish, you may want to get out whatever.

Hamburg is a Sunday, a lot is closed, the main indoor attractions can get booked up.

this does effect DIY transport as the public(cheap) options close to the ship don't operate on Sundays  

Due to the weather often the YC outside grill can be closed, they did open the bar sometimes.

Also as the outside is not getting use the inside can get a bit busy in some areas around the ship

Southampton Hotels for the 15th Feb are very good prices.

Quickest way to Southampton maybe to get dropped after the tour at Waterloo(train) .

Remember Feb its getting dark from 5:30

One consideration might be were you want dinner Thurs night.

If you want to skip London there is a train option from LGW to Southampton 

Do a bit of research on the best time t get coach train tickets.

@insidecabin That is the same itinerary as we have, March 15th on Euribia. We are planning for the weather to still be on the cool side. We're in YC inside, so will be nice if we can use the outdoor area, but again won't expect it.

It's good to know about the ports also. Maybe we'll try to join a ship excursion in Hamburg.  I didn't book in Southampton yet, but based on the recommendations, the pricing is around $63-100/night.

@amygutman You'll have to share your trip after you go, or if you're finding out anything good while planning! 

11 hours ago, mnpurple said:

@insidecabin That is the same itinerary as we have, March 15th on Euribia. We are planning for the weather to still be on the cool side. We're in YC inside, so will be nice if we can use the outdoor area, but again won't expect it.

It's good to know about the ports also. Maybe we'll try to join a ship excursion in Hamburg.  I didn't book in Southampton yet, but based on the recommendations, the pricing is around $63-100/night.

@amygutman You'll have to share your trip after you go, or if you're finding out anything good while planning! 

@mnpurple heck yeah! My "hobby" is planning and dreaming about vacations...so it's a fun adventure to devour everything I can on CC, youtube, cruisedeckplans - really everything I can get my hands on. I have found CC to be extremely helpful as long as you take the comments with good humor, a grain of salt, a LOT of patience and understanding that opinions are often like...well...we all know what opinions are like 😬

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Been trying to find sensible price on YC inside for ages most trips don't have any showing on UK might have to check the other regions.

Hotels worth keeping an eye out for deals on the Uk sites as some won't show on google or the other hotel selling sites, even better if you have points you can use. 

@insidecabin We booked it on our last cruise in January. I think they are definitely becoming more popular and will require booking much further out.  Thanks for the continued tips. The Southampton prices for hotels aren't too bad and I'm going to try to use points for our two nights in London.

14 hours ago, mnpurple said:

@insidecabin We booked it on our last cruise in January. I think they are definitely becoming more popular and will require booking much further out.  Thanks for the continued tips. The Southampton prices for hotels aren't too bad and I'm going to try to use points for our two nights in London.

As much as we like YC the late deals on the regular insides mean more trips for the same money.

we got lucky last year 2 month out 1 YC inside popped up really cheap(£100pppd), the next one was 4 weeks out but more(£140pppd) we can live with that, regular inside was £70pppd(with drinks)