Split: NY Times Top Tips, etc.!

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this weekend, they will have this headline: 36 Hours in Split, Croatia" with this sub-headline: "This Croatian port city is fueled by long seafood lunches, ancient traditions and wine-filled evenings.

Here are some of their reporting highlights by Alex Crevar with a wide variety of  photographs by Maria Mavropoulou: “It’s easy to fall for Split, Croatia’s largest seaside city, which sprouted from a palace built for the Roman emperor Diocletian 17 centuries ago. And with the country’s recent adoption of the euro and entrance into the European Union’s border-free Schengen Area, it has become even easier to swoon over the history and ancient ruins that abound here. Still, travelers to Split soon discover that the unofficial capital of Dalmatia, as the country’s southern coast is known, is no museum piece trapped under glass. It is equal parts chic Adriatic beach town, active archeological site and proud, gritty port city.”

While we super loved Kotor and Montenegro and Dubrovnik, we have not yet visited Split.  It is on our top priority, future to-do list.  This profile offers a wide range of options to consider for attractions, restaurants and bars, shopping, where to stay and getting around.

Here are their key stops suggested: "The Riva, called Split’s living room, is the city’s seaside promenade and a prime spot for coffee and people-watching.  Diocletian’s Palace was built between 295 and 305 A.D. for the retiring Roman Emperor. The palace’s structure still forms Split’s core.  The Museum of Fine Arts, just outside the palace’s Golden Gate, displays works from the 14th century until today.  The Meštrović Gallery celebrates the work of sculptor Ivan Meštrović in the sprawling summer villa he built in the 1930s."

image.thumb.png.dcfeab84a7e5405861bed9375273e35c.png

Reactions and additions from those who have visited Split?  Other insights and ideas?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/08/travel/things-to-do-split-croatia.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,594 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

As someone who very much lives for history, Split is my favorite destination in Croatia (so far!). 

One of the things I love in many European cities is how easily the past coexists with the present. Split is the poster child for this. Over hundreds of years, the "bones" of the palace built by Diocletian in the 4th century AD (as his "retirement home by the sea" no less) became the bones of a medieval town. You can still clearly see the outline of the Palace itself and even some of the 4th century buildings such as a temple and Diocletian's mausoleum (now a church, ironic given Diocletian's persecution of Christians....)

But it's not a monument to the past by any means. As mentioned in the article, there are great restaurants, museums, and interesting shops to explore in the walkable old city. 

I've been there 3 times; first time I spent the entire day exploring Split on foot and with a walking tour of the palace remains. Second time I spent half a day in the city again and then went to Trogir (not terribly impressed, but it was very crowded), and the last time I went to a Roman archaeological site near Split, Salona. Of course there are many other daytrips that are more about natural beauty (waterfalls, beaches) but it's not my thing...

I just visited Split for the first (and only) time (so far) on my May Adriatic/Greece cruise.  I truly enjoyed it a lot.  As cruisemom42 says, the main tourist attraction is the Old Town and it's an interesting mix of the old Palace intermixed with all sorts of modern establishments.  It was very pleasant to just walk thru the narrow "roads" and see where they led.  Eventually, everything leads to an old gate of the Palace, so you can just turn around and go back in and go a different direction.  The history is everywhere.  I enjoyed my day there.  I look forward to going back and venturing elsewhere in the surrounding area.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As someone who very much lives for history, Split is my favorite destination in Croatia (so far!). One of the things I love in many European cities is how easily the past coexists with the present. Split is the poster child for this. Over hundreds of years, the "bones" of the palace built by Diocletian in the 4th century AD (as his "retirement home by the sea" no less) became the bones of a medieval town.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and comments from the super history savvy cruisemom42, plus also by MeHeartCruising.  Excellent and helpful background.  

YES, my interest for returning to these Croatian areas is increased.  But, our next big "adventure" is set for February 2024 in doing various stops in India and then sailing from Mumbai to Sri Lanka, Burma/Myanmar, Singapore, etc.  Lots of history and architecture there, too.  First time for these parts of Asia.  Split is still high for our future, later, to-do list.  

Don't be shy!!  Please share any other added details, visuals, etc., for Split.  The more you learn, the better and more attractive it seems. 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 104,144 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Split is probably my favourite European city, and i've been to a few! To be honest I'm not a huge history buff, but I love the atmosphere of Split. The way the palace ruins actually form part of the old town, the waterfront area with the gelato cafes, and the views from Marjan hill. It seems even more magical after dark, where often there is free musical entertainment outside around the palace area.
I was lucky enough to stay a night in the old town, before taking a small boat (36 people) cruise for a week from Split to Dubrovnik, stopping at many beautiful Croatian islands.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, debsjc said:

Split is probably my favourite European city, and i've been to a few! To be honest I'm not a huge history buff, but I love the atmosphere of Split. The way the palace ruins actually form part of the old town, the waterfront area with the gelato cafes, and the views from Marjan hill. It seems even more magical after dark, where often there is free musical entertainment outside around the palace area.  I was lucky enough to stay a night in the old town, before taking a small boat (36 people) cruise for a week from Split to Dubrovnik, stopping at many beautiful Croatian islands.

Appreciate these continued great comments and follow-ups about Split.  Keep it coming with the excellent sharing. 

From US News earlier this week, they had this headline: Best Times To Visit Split with these highlights: “The best time to visit Split is September and October when tourist crowds have dispersed and the Adriatic Sea is still warm enough for a dip. By November, temperatures tend to drop into the 40s and 50s, where they'll hover for the rest of the winter. The months between April and June see rising temperatures and crowds, but the city's peak season is in July when the weather is hot and both tourist levels and rates for accommodations, flights and rental cars are at their highest.”

Another of their links also details: "Getting Around Split: The best way to get around Split is by car since it gives you the most flexibility to travel on your own timetable, but renting a car isn't the most economical way to get around. Relying on the city's buses (and ferries for island hopping) will save you the most kuna. But if you plan on sticking close to Old Town, you can easily get around on foot."

Full stories at:

https://travel.usnews.com/Split_Croatia/When_To_Visit/

https://travel.usnews.com/Split_Croatia/Getting_Around/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Various visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 51,399 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193