Walk from Honolulu port to Ionali Palace?

mousefan73

Been google mapping and i realized that the distance from port to Ionali Palace is not that far. Has anyone walked this? is it a safe walk with stops on the way? We are doing Pearl Harbor in the morning and might have cab drop us off there vs port.. and then we walk back. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Been google mapping and i realized that the distance from port to Ionali Palace is not that far. Has anyone walked this? is it a safe walk with stops on the way?

Its about 15-20 minutes-- isn't really unsafe so much as it is an unremarkable walk. Mostly surrounded by large government buildings. 

• Like 1

Yes, Iolani palace is a very easy 5-block walk, maybe slightly uphill from the port.  It's mostly shaded after the first two blocks.  Be sure to get reservations in advance to assure an interior tour.  I would consider it very safe from sunup to sundown and then some.  

You'll encounter the King Kamehameha statue just before crossing King Street to the Iolani Grounds.  Behind the statue is judiciary/court building.  There is a small, but good, museum inside.  It's free, and air conditioned.  On the other side of the Iolani Palace property is the Hawaii State Capitol building.  It's also worth seeing.

Punchbowl National Cemetary is straight uphill from there.  You will not want to walk that.  Just know that's what you're seeing up in front of you on the crater, or take an Uber.  You can get within 3 blocks of the entrance by bus, but I don't recommend it for everyone (having done it twice).

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 2

Kawaiahao Church and graveyard is cattycorner from the Palace and is worth checking out.

It is a easy walk from the cruise port. We did an excursion in the morning; went on the ship to freshen up and get a bit to eat. Then in the afternoon we went back out and walked to the Palace, checked that out and the statue and the church......had plenty of time to do everything.

• Like 2

Very close, very safe, but I'd have portable umbrellas with you, if you can carry them conveniently. Rain can happen in an instant in Hawaii and be very localized. I got soaked once walking from the ship to a store I like in Downtown. Also be aware it is very humid, hydrate frequently.