Alaska Sept ' 24 - Itinerary Change - any thoughts?

DJP31

We were supposed to be on our maiden cruise, heading to Alaska, when CV-19 stepped in. One unsuccessful attempt later we are now booked on a Seattle/Seattle trip. I've just been advised it's now Vancouver/Vancouver and Juneau has been dropped, with stops at Haines and Wrangell instead.

Do you experienced travellers with Alaskan experience think this is a big deal or nothing to be concerned about? 

It sort of feels like the trip is doomed but I'm probably over reacting!

TIA

1 minute ago, DJP31 said:

We were supposed to be on our maiden cruise, heading to Alaska, when CV-19 stepped in. One unsuccessful attempt later we are now booked on a Seattle/Seattle trip. I've just been advised it's now Vancouver/Vancouver and Juneau has been dropped, with stops at Haines and Wrangell instead.

Do you experienced travellers with Alaskan experience think this is a big deal or nothing to be concerned about? 

It sort of feels like the trip is doomed but I'm probably over reacting!

TIA

It's a matter of personal preference.  We liked Vancouver on our Alaska trips and prefer it over Seattle.  To us, Juneau is OK, but the smaller ports of Wrangle and Haines are more interesting.  Nothing wrong with Seattle (we do like visiting it) or Juneau  (but nothing special).  If we were taking this cruise, we'd be happy with the changes.  But YMMV.

We did the Seattle to Seattle trip in 2018 and thought Wrangell was pretty disappointing.  Just not much there to see or do.  Sitka was our favorite stop and Juneau was our second favorite because of our excursion.  We did the seaplane to Taku Lodge for their salmon cookout.  The flight was spectacular seeing all the glaciers and then landing in the river in front of the lodge - pretty cool.  

I am hoping to do another Alaskan cruise in the next few years and hope that Juneau would still be on the itinerary.

In Sitka we loved the boat tour seeing all the sea otters, eagles and starfish clinging to the walls after the tide goes out.  Really liked the vibe of Sitka.

I think you will enjoy the new itinerary very much. Juneau is somewhat interesting, but missing it is not a big deal. Best news is that you can spend time in Vancouver which is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Much nicer, cleaner and more interesting than Seattle. Plan to spend a few days there before and after your cruise, if possible. Advantage of time in Vancouver before cruise you can relax and get over jet lag, obviously. Advantage of spending at least a day after your cruise is that you do not have to worry about getting to the airport on day cruise ends. Port of Vancouver, while quite lovely, can be a crazy and confusing place on day of departure. 

Edited by edgee
typos

If you have not been to Alaska before, I think missing Juneau is a big deal as it is a port with access to Mendenhall glacier as well as opportunities for whale watching.  IMO Wrangell and Haines are not very interesting ports to visit.

4 hours ago, DJP31 said:

I've just been advised it's now Vancouver/Vancouver and Juneau has been dropped, with stops at Haines and Wrangell instead.

As @lj77346said, missing Juneau could be significant, depending on what excursions you are planning. For example, one highlight of our cruise last September was taking a helicopter to the Mendenhall glacier and then walking on the glacier. But if visiting the Mendenhall wasn't part of your plan anyway, then not so drastic (that applies to whale watching, also).

Side note: departing from Vancouver can be an ordeal itself, but at least that doesn't impact the enjoyment of the cruise.

The bears of Anan in Wrangell is a fabulous excursion.  I do not know if it’s open in September but trip advisor has more reviews.  Alaska is beautiful worthy of several visits.  Ketchikan is a busy touristy port but Oceania drops you outside of it and you shuttle in. There are many excursions stalls there.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Lucky you.

We had an O cruise to Alaska cancelled due to Covid.

The replacement ports of Vancouver for Seattle are a winner for you. You will be sailing in the Inland Passage. The Pacific can be hit or miss in September.

If you are going to Icy Straits (Hoonah) you can do a whale watch there. There are fewer boats so book early. The whale watching fleet sails in the same general area in Juneau so the captains have to watch boating traffic while spotting whales. Hoonah is much better.

Vancouver is a wonderful city. Plan a ride, or walk, through Stanley Park. saunter through China Town, visit the Farmer's Market on Granville Island, check out a museum or two and the list goes on and on.

The only issue you need to be aware of is September. Tourist venues start to shut down by mid-month, That also includes car rentals. Plan early. On the other hand one of the most awesome days is a small group tour (not Ocenia's) from Skagway across the border into Canada and if time permits a visit to Emerald Lake and Carcross.

Awesome Alaska awaits.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. Some very good points made but the positives of keeping the booking firmly outweigh the negatives, so we’ll stick with it.

Having first had this booked for September 20 and dates not being convenient since, I really hope this time it comes off. I’m a long time lurker and really looking forward to being able to properly visualise and experience all that I’ve read about the Oceania / Regatta offering.

• Like 1