What are the best ports or scenic cruising on New Zealand cruise?

H a gain Wlbox. We rented from

https://www.affordablemotorhomes.co.nz/collections/motorhomes

their vans are not top quality as I think they mostly buy in used vans from the big hire companies. but lovely people and convenient location in Christchurch.  I had seen consistent bad customer reviews of the big operators (and we had terrible vans from Maui in South Africa).  since it looks like hiring a camper is a runner for you I ll post more info later as I ve got a hospital appointment this afternoon and need to concentrate on that. 

nb everyone there are some terminological issues here as campers, motorhomes, panel vans, etc etc all have slightly different names in US,  UK, Aus and NZ, I will  attempt to elucidate later !

Maui is a reputable company and they have various levels of comfort from basic to luxury.  I think what you are calling a campervan is probably what is called a motorhome in NZ.  That is a self contained vehicle with accommodation at the rear. A campervan would be something without a motor that you tow behind a vehicle.

https://www.maui-rentals.com/nz/en

9 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Maui is a reputable company and they have various levels of comfort from basic to luxury.  I think what you are calling a campervan is probably what is called a motorhome in NZ.  That is a self contained vehicle with accommodation at the rear. A campervan would be something without a motor that you tow behind a vehicle.

https://www.maui-rentals.com/nz/en

No a campervan is a converted van with a motor.  Most have a sleeping area and a cooking and eating area, but not a shower and toilet (although some do).  The roof lifts up for more room.  Motorhomes are larger built into truck/bus/large van style bodies,

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

You are right, I was thinking of camper trailers, which are very popular in Australia, but you need a car to tow them. Hire cars generally don't come with a tow bar.

On our first visit to NZ we had a car and accommodation package.  We were free to travel where we wanted.  I loved the way there was fresh milk in the fridge of all basic motels.

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I loved the way there was fresh milk in the fridge of all basic motels.

On my recent cruise to NZ, I had afternoon tea at a lovely cafe in Napier. I ordered a slice of cheesecake and was asked "Do you want cream with that?"  I said yes, and the cream came in a side bowl in vast quantities. It was genuine clotted cream, not whipped..

8 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

On my recent cruise to NZ, I had afternoon tea at a lovely cafe in Napier. I ordered a slice of cheesecake and was asked "Do you want cream with that?"  I said yes, and the cream came in a side bowl in vast quantities. It was genuine clotted cream, not whipped..

Oh what a lovely surprise.  That would have made my day, as I only get clotted cream in England,