Juneau Mendenhall glacier- Nugget Falls

junebug61

58 minutes ago, junebug61 said:

How difficult is the hike to Nugget Falls from the visitor center for someone that has to use a walker? Does anyone know if the Blue Bus can accommodate a person needing a walker?

The trails out to Nugget Falls are all smooth, and mostly paved.  It is a fairly level hike with a few graded inclines/declines, but not steep at all.  I would suggest contacting the Park services to inquire, doing a general search to see if anyone else had reviewed that in the past. 

I do recall that the Blue Bus requested those needing assistance sit in the front of the bus seats, though I don't know (did not see) where they would place the walker.  Does the walker fold up?

We walked to Nugget Falls last month (May '23).  It is a mile walk in both directions.  I wouldn't really recommend it for someone using a walker unless they are very comfortable walking on a gravel / uneven dirt trail.  Also, once you get to the beach where the Nugget Falls is located, you have to navigate some much larger rocks to get onto the beach..  There is a little bit of up and down, but most of the trail is flat.

On the walk out there we were all zipped up with our clothing layers, but on the return trip we were shedding the layers. There are no bathrooms once you leave the ranger station / gift shop.  Make sure you bring water.

First photo is Nugget Falls from the beach.

Second photo will give you an idea of what the walking trail is like.

PXL_20230506_201731349.jpg

PXL_20230506_204315215.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not a bad walk and there are benches along the way where you can take breaks if you want. I wouldn’t book the

blue bus. It’s an old school bus. There are other companies there with more modern buses. Here us my blog from when I did it last year.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/mendenhall-glacier/

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 11:43 AM, Saint Greg said:

It’s not a bad walk and there are benches along the way where you can take breaks if you want. I wouldn’t book the

blue bus. It’s an old school bus. There are other companies there with more modern buses. Here us my blog from when I did it last year.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/mendenhall-glacier/

Am so happy I came across your detailed write up about exploring Mendenhall Glacier on own as I was debating within myself whether I should join the cruise's excursion or to do it on my own (having own time own target when travelling has always been my objective as I dread to be rushed provided I can gain enough confidence to do it on own).

Thanks for your generous and helpful sharing. I shall do this excursion on my own!

• Like 1

@Saint Greg, thanks for the info on an alternative to the Blue Bus.  We rode the Blue Bus this past May, and while it was fine, you bus looks more comfy!

Can I ask if you were given a time to meet your bus to return to town, or was it more like a shuttle, and it left every 30 minutes or so (like the Blue Bus)

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Saint Greg, thanks for the info on an alternative to the Blue Bus.  We rode the Blue Bus this past May, and while it was fine, you bus looks more comfy!

Can I ask if you were given a time to meet your bus to return to town, or was it more like a shuttle, and it left every 30 minutes or so (like the Blue Bus)

Every 30 minutes at the bear stop. The blue bus was right behind mine at the bear stop so I think think they operate on the same schedule.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 2

Was in juneau in May with someone with a walker. If it is collapsible, no problem getting it on the mendenhall shuttle.  Probably a challenge to walk to nugget falls but enough to do around visitor center.