OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JUNE 2023

morpheusofthesea

On 6/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Well this never ever happened on any cruise we have ever been on in 50 years of cruising. It even shocked the staff in the YC Restaurant. At around 7:45 am while waiting for our breakfast to be brought to our table, I feel the light touch of a hand on my shoulder of an officer welcoming us to the Seascape. My reaction was to get his name for tipping at the end of the cruise. He went to each and every table (10) that had guests this first morning. Come to find out the officer was our new Captain Michele Tuvo. He was accompanied by the staff captain in the background. Soon after the maitre d' Arthur Javier also made the rounds and said how astonished the staff was that the Captain made such a grand gesture toward the YC guests. Another first for MSC.

He’s the best! (And the reason we are sailing on Seascape next month.) Much like you mentioned above, we met him at breakfast on the first morning of our cruise many years ago. 

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We left San Juan at 4 pm, but not without a bit of drama. The Captain blew the ship's horn at around 3:30 as we were missing 4 passengers. Leaving at 4;00 pm does not mean "all aboard" at 4 pm. Knew something was up when a hue and cry arose from the ship as the runners were spotted. We opened our balcony door to witness the sprinters running a dash to the closing gangway. 

It seems once a cruise, we participate in the chorus onboard of RRUUNNN!! 

(From our balcony)

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, 20165 said:

This is my number 1 issue with this cruise, I’m on the same ship and the people are extremely rude. Very carnivalesque. Nice ship, but very rude people. 

I waited a day to take notice. Being a port day we did not run into many passengers. We did run into one very rude four year old on our last cruise who stopped me and called me ‘Porky’. I still haven’t gotten over it.

Found everyone we pass by very congenial in the YC. A smile is the universal language. No butting, all waiting to exit elevator before entering. A very classy crowd in the YC this cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is my synopsis of tonights entertainment. Got seats for 8 pm Le Cabaret Rouge. The live backup band was absent (it was needed for the Chora Theatre production shows), but Samulous came out and did a spectacular performance with taped sound tracks. Then we heard a couple of pieces from the violinist (nothing worth writing about), followed by Bella the blond Aussie singing the same songs she did last time (we left during her first song to get seats at the Chora Theatre production of 'In Concert").

Now we saw this same production in February and we thought it was quite an amateurish high school production. But tonight's was more polished higher energy with no acrobatics, contortionists, or muscle men woven into the production. The singing and dancing was more entertaining. Come to find out that MSC fired the group that was doing these  amateurish production shows and they were replaced just two weeks ago by this new group. (Somebody is monitoring what is going on). Sorry now we skipped the other productions earlier this week. No problem though, we are booked again for next month (God-willing).

• Like 2

I wasn't able to get a video of the pier runners on this cruise, but I have this short video of the ones we had on the Equinox. The Captain on this ship was blowing the horn every 5 minutes to alert the stragglers on shore. This is what always happens when folks forget to reset their watches. (Video took 10 minutes to upload while kept plugged in at 6 am)

The guy on the pier with the back pack was the ship's port agent. The ship's security officer had gone to the couples cabin and retrieved the couples passports from their cabin safe. We had a chance to speak to this officer later who told us he was just about to turn the documents over to the port agent who would remain at the port waiting for the stragglers and help them rejoin the ship.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I wasn't able to get a video of the pier runners on this cruise, but I have this short video of the ones we had on the Equinox. The Captain on this ship was blowing the horn every 5 minutes to alert the stragglers on shore. This is what always happens when folks forget to reset their watches. (Video took 10 minutes to upload while kept plugged in at 6 am)

The guy on the pier with the back pack was the ship's port agent. The ship's security officer had gone to the couples cabin and retrieved the couples passports from their cabin safe. We had a chance to speak to this officer later who told us he was just about to turn the documents over to the port agent who would remain at the port waiting for the stragglers and help them rejoin the ship.

I never tire of watching these videos!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You mentioned you were on equinox. We’re you in the retreat?  How did it compare to YC ? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I keep meaning to ask, why the POOP 💩 deck?

What is a Poop Deck on a Ship? A poop deck is a short, high deck of a ship, located in the aft (back) of a ship. It was traditionally used to provide a high point for observations and navigation. Most modern ships don't have a poop deck, as it is no longer needed.

In naval architecture, a poop deck is a deck that forms the roof of a cabin built in the rear, or "aft", part of the superstructure of a ship. The name originates from the French word for stern, la poupe, from Latin puppis.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 20165 said:

You mentioned you were on equinox. We’re you in the retreat?  How did it compare to YC ? 

So how does Retreat compare to the Yacht Club?

It compares very favorably. It comes down to just what one is really looking for and which line provides it.

We enjoy a dedicated restaurant open for 3 meals per day, not one that closes for lunch port days.(MSC)

We enjoy Cafe Al Bacio (Celebrity) 12-16 different complimentary desserts

I enjoy a cushioned cabin balcony deck chair lounger (MSC)

We enjoy reserved theater seating for every performance (MSC)

We enjoy more evening entertainment venues (MSC)rather than game shows (Celebrity)

We enjoy a better Wifi that works(Celebrity)

We enjoy a private 'out' island. (MSC)

We love key card elevator over rides (MSC)

We like a 'gated community' (MSC).

We only would travel in the Retreat. 

Comparing prices for the same size cabins Royal Suites on Beyond and Seashore. October 2022 MSC $9,988, Celebrity $18,493 in Nov 2022. Beyond being Celebrity's newest addition to the fleet is NOT getting the best entertainment like Up Town ( booked on Apex and Equinox for 2023) or Charity Lockhart. Beyond's stage productions are mimicking MSC with singers and dancers with acrobatics thrown in. No cruise line can beat Celebrity's Cafe al Bacio for complimentary desserts at ALL hours. No reserving of lounges on Retreat sun deck encourages chair hogs with 'cowed' Retreat staff NOT enforcing 30 minute abandonment chair hogging, which is a problem with Celebrity filling the Retreat with move-up bidding to the MAX. MSC has same problem, but one can pay a nominal fee and reserve a pergola/cabana in the YC sun deck (on some ships and on some RS/OS have reserved pergolas).

The shops on MSC are stocked with merchandise that cruisers want. Celebrity has very little that main stream cruisers can afford.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

So how does Retreat compare to the Yacht Club?

It compares very favorably. It comes down to just what one is really looking for and which line provides it.

We enjoy a dedicated restaurant open for 3 meals per day, not one that closes for lunch port days.(MSC)

We enjoy Cafe Al Bacio (Celebrity) 12-16 different complimentary desserts

I enjoy a cushioned cabin balcony deck chair lounger (MSC)

We enjoy reserved theater seating for every performance (MSC)

We enjoy more evening entertainment venues (MSC)rather than game shows (Celebrity)

We enjoy a better Wifi that works(Celebrity)

We enjoy a private 'out' island. (MSC)

We love key card elevator over rides (MSC)

We like a 'gated community' (MSC).

We only would travel in the Retreat. 

Comparing prices for the same size cabins Royal Suites on Beyond and Seashore. October 2022 MSC $9,988, Celebrity $18,493 in Nov 2022. Beyond being Celebrity's newest addition to the fleet is NOT getting the best entertainment like Up Town ( booked on Apex and Equinox for 2023) or Charity Lockhart. Beyond's stage productions are mimicking MSC with singers and dancers with acrobatics thrown in. No cruise line can beat Celebrity's Cafe al Bacio for complimentary desserts at ALL hours. No reserving of lounges on Retreat sun deck encourages chair hogs with 'cowed' Retreat staff NOT enforcing 30 minute abandonment chair hogging, which is a problem with Celebrity filling the Retreat with move-up bidding to the MAX. MSC has same problem, but one can pay a nominal fee and reserve a pergola/cabana in the YC sun deck (on some ships and on some RS/OS have reserved pergolas).

The shops on MSC are stocked with merchandise that cruisers want. Celebrity has very little that main stream cruisers can afford.

Thank you.  We are on your cruise, non YC, and its a nightmare so we were wondering how YC compared to the Retreat and Haven.  Because if we ever returned to MSC, unlikely, sounds like YC is the only way to go.  

5 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Thank you.  We are on your cruise, non YC, and its a nightmare so we were wondering how YC compared to the Retreat and Haven.  Because if we ever returned to MSC, unlikely, sounds like YC is the only way to go.  

A nightmare?  Is it really that bad?  We will be in the YC, but is it that different, than Carnival?  With the exception of Guys Burgers.

3 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

A nightmare?  Is it really that bad?  We will be in the YC, but is it that different, than Carnival?  With the exception of Guys Burgers.

This is Carnival, although a nicer ship... Im just waiting with Cell camera ready for when the fight breaks out with some of these passengers.  

2 minutes ago, 20165 said:

This is Carnival, although a nicer ship... Im just waiting with Cell camera ready for when the fight breaks out with some of these passengers.  

We have been on several Carnival cruises and always had a great time.  We started with them so we didn't know any difference.  I do like others better, but would sail with Carnival for the right price.  Problem is, when we price them it seems like for a little more we can go with Celebrity which is much nicer.  But now I see we can book the yacht club for the price of a veranda in Concierge or Aqua class.  We're super excited to try MSC in 10 days!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Nightmare"? Please elaborate (this could be interesting). 

Oh don’t worry. I’ll have the full review for you next week when we get back in a separate thread. 

Just got back from checking out the 'Seafood Extravaganza'. All hands on deck for this one. 10 tables of 4 on either side of the One Pool Deck, 5 directly in front of the buffet and almost every lounger occupied with guests indulging. Went inside to go to cabin and bumped into a whole group of YC guests that just 'heard' about this feast as they all piled into the elevator to go up one deck. (Boy, how spoiled we get in the YC.....we conserve our energy to eat, not to take stairs).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, paddy1112 said:

Is the "Seafood Extravaganza" always on the same day of the journey?   

Is there a hint at the begin of the cruise when it will be?

Sometimes. It all depends on weather. It was not published in the Daily Planner and is the butlers' task to inform. Cocktail invitationals, high teas, we get envelopes with invitations, but it is up to your personal butler to remind you, (not pester you). We appreciate the professionalism of these butlers. Should one decide not to attend, they do not question.

• Thanks 1