Eurodam. Panama Canal

wcflats

11 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Cheaper to use the old locks I presume.  We used the old ones on the last sailing of the old Rotterdam during the pandemic in March. 

True. Well documented on the Panama Canal board. Also, more efficient for only the ships that need the larger locks to use them, as they use a lot of water. And most would say the old locks are more interesting. The history and feat of engineering is fantastic. 

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

True. Well documented on the Panama Canal board. And most would say the old locks are more interesting. The history and feat of engineering is fantastic. 

Yes. Love to check out the locks on our cruises, both ocean and river. My hometown in Ohio was on the Miami and Erie canals and many of those locks were still in place. 

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Cheaper to use the old locks I presume.  We used the old ones on the last sailing of the old Rotterdam during the pandemic in March. 

The last sailing or the last revenue sailing?  I'm pretty sure Rotterdam's last transit was through the new locks, providing support to the Zaandam.  New locks used because Panama did not want to have any more people than absolutely necessary onboard and the ships went through I think without any lines at all.

Roy

My dh and I just finished reading the book Cabin Fever: The Harrowing Journey of a Cruise Ship at the Dawn of a Pandemic by Michael Smith and Jonathan Franklin. It is about HAL ships going through the canal.  When we went through the canal in March the ship narrator talked about this journey. It is a Very interesting book we recommend it. 

• Thanks 2