Need help trying to decide between 2 SA itineraries

kmsnyg

Hello,

I’m planning a South American cruise for late February and am trying to decide between 2 itineraries on 2 different lines. Not a huge joiner, so I don’t mind a quieter ship. I’m most interested in seeing landscapes and wildlife as I’ve recently taken up photography as a hobby.  Both Patagonia and Antarctica are bucket list trips for me, so I’m wondering if I should do a separate Antarctica cruise at a later date.  These are the 2 itineraries, does anyone have any thoughts? 

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

I would save Antarctica for a separate trip, and go with a company that gets you "boots on the ground" to Antarctica, rather than just a sail by as  in your first itinerary posted, the experience is magical and the wildlife encounters are stunning. We went with Ponant, and it was magnificent. Ideally, for Antarctica, choose an itinerary that will get you the Falklands, South Georgia Islands, and Antarctica (we did one named "Beyond the Polar Circle"). 

So, if you are going to save Antarctica for a separate trip, then I would select itinerary 2, which is a popular South America itinerary, giving you bits of city, beach, nature, wildlife, scenic sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

I would save Antarctica for a separate trip, and go with a company that gets you "boots on the ground" to Antarctica, rather than just a sail by as  in your first itinerary posted, the experience is magical and the wildlife encounters are stunning. We went with Ponant, and it was magnificent. Ideally, for Antarctica, choose an itinerary that will get you the Falklands, South Georgia Islands, and Antarctica (we did one named "Beyond the Polar Circle"). 

So, if you are going to save Antarctica for a separate trip, then I would select itinerary 2, which is a popular South America itinerary, giving you bits of city, beach, nature, wildlife, scenic sailing. 

Thanks, that’s what we are thinking. I think the second itinerary just seems easier from a trip planning aspect flying in and out of the same airport. We booked both but will cancel one soon (likely the 2nd).  I think my brain keeps thinking that we are so close to Antarctica that I can’t help but want to see it. 😆

Not sure if you have already had a look at any of them, but there are numerous SA cruise reviews here on CC.

Such as this one done by @scubacruiserx2, and he has many excellent photos of the Antarctic portion (along with the rest of the cruise)

We were on Oosterdam's repositioning SA cruise last fall, which included the itinerary you mentioned above.

• Thanks 1