Are the wines better in South America?

zitsky

5 hours ago, Alsmez said:

Wine choices by the glass in Eclipse two weeks ago were pathetic. She had just returned from Australia so there were quite a few OZ wines available that weren't listed on the menus, but outside of Murano/Tuscan you never knew what you were going to get unless you asked to see a label/specified a brand. If you had a package, they just poured whatever. We received white zin instead of rose and some sweet white instead of Sauv Blanc on many occasions. The only decent red I was able to find by the glass was a Bordeaux blend, only available in Murano. I didn't see anything from Chile or Argentina, etc., anywhere on board. Lots of cheap California and mass producer labels. VERY disappointing, and I'm hardly a connoisseur - just an aficionado of interesting wines from elsewhere in the world. 

That's unfortunate, as we were on Eclipse from March 26 through the end of May.  We love Spanish reds.  We insist upon them. Maybe because we are very specific and know exactly what we want.  Never go by the wine list, it is useless and out of date.  Our sommeliers - both in Aqua and in the MDR and in Murano - were incredibly helpful and always had excellent Spanish reds for us - and we were on the Classic package and never went above it.  We were very happy cruisers.  

Edited by lexmiller
  • Like 1

I wonder if Celebrity would allow customers to bring on a Corvain device on the ship and more importantly if the Sommolier would know how to/agree to use it on bottles.

While I don't recall seeing such a device on Celebrity, when I cruised Seabourn (which on this ship didn't have premium wines by the glass), the Sommolier offered to Corvain wines purchased by the bottle.

4 hours ago, BOB999 said:

I wonder if Celebrity would allow customers to bring on a Corvain device on the ship and more importantly if the Sommolier would know how to/agree to use it on bottles.

While I don't recall seeing such a device on Celebrity, when I cruised Seabourn (which on this ship didn't have premium wines by the glass), the Sommolier offered to Corvain wines purchased by the bottle.

I doubt it -- imagine if a few people has them he would have no time for regular wine drinkers.