Guaranteed cabins - self book or TA?

Korimako

I did a dummy booking for a cruise from Sydney later this year. Some cabins were available for me to choose, but most were guaranteed cabins which Princess would choose later for me. If I book through a TA, do they have access to Princess cabin availabilities and would I be able to choose my cabin if I booked with a TA?

Or would it likely be a guaranteed cabin regardless of the method I used? I would be using a NZ based TA. I really want to know exactly where my cabin is before I part with any money!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Korimako said:

If I book through a TA, do they have access to Princess cabin availabilities and would I be able to choose my cabin if I booked with a TA?

Likely, unless the category is truly sold out, at least for the number of occupants you're looking to book.  For example there may be cabins available that sleep 3 or 4, but Princess generally won't let you book them with just 2 people. 

An easy first step would be to go to one of the mass market travel websites., find your sailing, and see if they give you options to choose a room when Princess' website doesn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, Korimako said:

I did a dummy booking for a cruise from Sydney later this year. Some cabins were available for me to choose, but most were guaranteed cabins which Princess would choose later for me. If I book through a TA, do they have access to Princess cabin availabilities and would I be able to choose my cabin if I booked with a TA?

Or would it likely be a guaranteed cabin regardless of the method I used? I would be using a NZ based TA. I really want to know exactly where my cabin is before I part with any money!!

You absolutely can book your cabin with a travel agent, the travel agents have access to the same list of cabins that are available. Some travel agent websites also let you see and select the cabins that are available. I usually look at these to see which cabin I want and then I phone up and ask for that cabin.

If there are not many cabins available, it may be that there have been a lot sold under a certain category so try a different sub category of the cabin type you want to see more cabins available.

I use a TA for all of my cruises.  I am comfortable knowing that she is on top of whatever issues I may encounter.  Case in point:  Having trouble with EZ Air.  NOT HER JOB...but she is actively monitoring my situation.  I have stopped checking every minute.  I have stopped calling.  I do check in with Princess occasionally, but not to the extent I did at the beginning, knowing TA is watching out for me.  

She will text me or give me a call if something changes or if I have questions/concerns.  I am still proactive, but not obsessed.  

23 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

.......An easy first step would be to go to one of the mass market travel websites.

I'm not sure I understand this. What exactly is a mass market travel website and where would I find out about them? I know here on CC it's forbidden to name names, but a point in the general direction surely would be allowed?? Would they allow me to self-book?

8 minutes ago, Korimako said:

I'm not sure I understand this. What exactly is a mass market travel website and where would I find out about them? I know here on CC it's forbidden to name names, but a point in the general direction surely would be allowed?? Would they allow me to self-book?

It would be any of the big travel booking sites.. just type into your search bar "book a cruise".  I'm sure one of them will pop up.

9 minutes ago, Korimako said:

The major travel websites you see advertised on TV where you can book every on one site... flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, etc.

The major travel websites you see advertised on TV where you can book every on one site... flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, etc.

Yes I rather thought that was what was meant, but I'm in New Zealand and I don't recall seeing any such sites advertised on TV here. I'll have a go at Google and see what turns up. Booking from here, rather than from North America  means different conditions apply.

But thanks for your help.