Speciality Restaurants

Scorpio41

On our last two cruises we had difficulty booking the speciality dining as they were full up. We eventually manage to be slotted in.
One time we were sat with a couple that were dining in S of D The Club for the forth time.

Is it still a struggle to book the speciality restaurants?

Saga state that it is their intention that all passengers should have the opportunity to dine in the speciality restaurants but do not say how they seek to achieve this. It has been suggested (but not confirmed) that they operate an informal rationing sysyem during the first  few days of the cruise during which only one reservation (per restaurant?) per cabin is accepted to prevent the sharp elbowed from placing multiple bookings as soon as they get onboard. So I sugest that you put in a booking during this period before open season is declared.

Edited by Denarius
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Saga state that it is their intention that all passengers should have the opportunity to dine in the speciality restaurants but do not say how they seek to achieve this. It has been suggested (but not confirmed) that they operate an informal rationing sysyem during the first  few days of the cruise during which only one reservation (per restaurant?) per cabin is accepted to prevent the sharp elbowed from placing multiple bookings as soon as they get onboard. So I sugest that you put in a booking during this period before open season is declared.

I think you are correct and, as Tothesunset said above, on shorter cruises you are restricted to one or two bookings overall (you could however ask to go on a wait list in case there is space once everyone has had a chance to book). I think this arrangement is better than allowing the early arrivals to book everything (speaking as one who is usually towards the back of boarding)!

• Like 1

A lot depends on the length of the cruise. Short it's one booking and you can go on a reserve list. I went on a 5 night cruise with my daughter and could only book one but on the day I had phone call for reservations offering a table that night. So we did visit all 3. Book a table on formal night it's easier to get in. Book as soon as you get on board in person. You don't need to go to to all restaurants as there's a central booking desk in the club. If of course you have a suite ask your butler to book them 

• Like 1

On our 15 night SofD cruise in May we made one reservation for each of the speciality restaurants on the first day (we had a silver wedding anniversary and birthday to celebrate).  After about a week we tried to book another but we weren't allowed to.  We did manage to secure a reservation in East to West for the last night of the cruise about two days prior.

Edited by Medeba
clarification
  • Like 2

I was advised to make specialty restaurant bookings soon after boarding. You can call from your cabin. I found the restaurants on SoA while walking around prior to sail-away and just made my reservations on the spot. I just said not a formal night and let them pick the dates. If you are trying for a specific night and time, it may be more challenging.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

The phone line to book a restaurant is busy on embarkation days. We book formal nights as the MDR is so busy then. 

Is formal attire required in the speciality restaurants on formal nights, or is smart casual acceptable as in The Grill?

16 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Is formal attire required in the speciality restaurants on formal nights, or is smart casual acceptable as in The Grill

Yes it is. The only place to avoid formal nights is in the grill. There is a separate area 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:
5 hours ago, Denarius said:

Is formal attire required in the speciality restaurants on formal nights, or is smart casual acceptable as in The Grill

Yes it is. The only place to avoid formal nights is in the grill. There is a separate area 

Thank you for the info.

Edited by Denarius