Is Royal Caribbean building any small ships?

On 6/13/2023 at 8:53 AM, latebuyer said:

Not all of us like these big ships.

I'm glad my family is not alone here. This summer marks cruises 21,22 and 23 on RCCL and we are doing them on Radiance class ships. We were on the Mariner and Quantum (2x) last summer and my kids (22, 16 & 14) made it clear they far prefer smaller ships. My wife and I are not fans of big ships either. The kids favorite ships are all Radiance class. We have spent a lot of time on the Vision class and Radiance class ships, though we've tried the Explorer, Liberty, and others but just do not like the big ships. It's too bad as we really like Royal but for the first time we talked about trying another line to get away from the mega ships. I too hope that there are some smaller ships (not like a Radiance class ship is actually *SMALL*) in their future

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 8:53 AM, latebuyer said:

I'm a little concerned what is going to happen if these small ships like the radiance class age out and i'm wondering if royal caribbean is building new ones. Not all of us like these big ships. I'm also from Vancouver and the big ships can't go under the bridge.

We are also from Vancouver and prefer the smaller ships, mostly for the fact that you FEEL like you are on a ship! We also love the smaller crowds, no wait lines, don't need to book entertainment. We just took our 3 children on their first cruise on the Brilliance and they absolutely loved it! Didn't even need all the extras the mega ships have

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks that's good to know about Holland America! I did my first cruise on holland america and enjoyed it. I'm going to alaska on brilliance of the seas in 2 weeks so i'll see how i like it.

We just did Alaska on Brilliance! I honestly love that class of ship SO much!

received_135066699537015.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/17/2023 at 11:10 PM, Paul II said:

I'm glad my family is not alone here. This summer marks cruises 21,22 and 23 on RCCL and we are doing them on Radiance class ships. We were on the Mariner and Quantum (2x) last summer and my kids (22, 16 & 14) made it clear they far prefer smaller ships. My wife and I are not fans of big ships either. The kids favorite ships are all Radiance class. We have spent a lot of time on the Vision class and Radiance class ships, though we've tried the Explorer, Liberty, and others but just do not like the big ships. It's too bad as we really like Royal but for the first time we talked about trying another line to get away from the mega ships. I too hope that there are some smaller ships (not like a Radiance class ship is actually *SMALL*) in their future

I liked Vision that I recently took because of all the nooks and spots her and there to sit.

I liked the traditional outdoor promenade with chairs.

I loved the Radiance ships for all the glass elevators and light coming into the ship.

I unfortunately dislike the big screens they put up on Radiance ships thereby not using the sliding roof.

They did use the sliding roof on Vision OTS.

So nice hear kids liking smaller ships.  Not all kids want to be full of action and noise all the time.

Smaller ships are great for reading and walking more.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I unfortunately dislike the big screens they put up on Radiance ships thereby not using the sliding roof.

What do you mean, Solarium Roof? Almost every sailing on Radiance Class I've see the Roof open at least once, inc 8 out of 9 Cruises in last yr

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

What do you mean, Solarium Roof? Almost every sailing on Radiance Class I've see the Roof open at least once, inc 8 out of 9 Cruises in last yr

the sliding roof over the pool.  sorry if I used solarium.

Anyways on Serenade in 2018, they never did close the roof over the pool and it was chilly at times.

But in 2012 They did close the roof over the Radiance.

So if the trend is to put up big screen tv and not cover the pool, then I do not like that.

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I loved the Radiance ships for all the glass elevators and light coming into the ship.

Big screens?  I agree RCI  Radiance class could open the roof more often.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Anyways on Serenade in 2018, they never did close the roof over the pool and it was chilly at times.

So if the trend is to put up big screen tv and not cover the pool, then I do not like that.

The Solarium is the adult pool.  There is no roof over the other pool. The movie screen is not in the Solarium.

19 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Big screens?  I agree RCI  Radiance class could open the roof more often.

No they are open but they need to be able to close. Serenade did not do this in 2018 up in Baltics which was my point. Had chilly weather and hard to swim

22 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Wow, yeah that's not "Cool"  Haven't done too many cold environment Cruises except dozen of the annual Oct Boston-Florida Repo's. My Sailings in Carib some people prefer the Solarium Roof shut to get a little relief from Hot/Humid days

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

Wow, yeah that's not "Cool"  Haven't done too many cold environment Cruises except dozen of the annual Oct Boston-Florida Repo's. My Sailings in Carib some people prefer the Solarium Roof shut to get a little relief from Hot/Humid days

Yup the Radiance class ships are not using the sliding roof for what it was intended for.

they do on Vision class.

I enjoyed the Vision two months ago.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No they are open but they need to be able to close. Serenade did not do this in 2018 up in Baltics which was my point. Had chilly weather and hard to swim

Radiance class ships only have a retractable roof in the solarium.  There is no retractable roof over the main pool on any RCI ship.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I'm sorry but you are confusing this with another ship.  No Radiance class ship has a retractable roof over the main pool with the movie screen.  Only the solarium has a retractable roof.

14 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I'm sorry but you are confusing this with another ship.  No Radiance class ship has a retractable roof over the main pool with the movie screen.  Only the solarium has a retractable roof.

Ok well something made no sense when I was on Serenade so I will go back and look.

I remember the Radiance in 2010 too.

then again perhaps I am confused afterall

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:55 AM, Sunseeker20 said:

We just did Alaska on Brilliance! I honestly love that class of ship SO much!

received_135066699537015.jpeg

Fine looking young guys! I'm guessing that this pic was taken on the formerly formal, now "dressier" night? It's painfully obvious that a whole lot of grown-up boys could/should take a lesson here!

• Like 3

Re: Small ship subject: 

We also prefer the Radiance Class size. Not too big ... not too small ... just right. Large enough to offer an acceptable selection of amenities and venues, but small enough to remind you that you're actually at sea. If we had kids, perhaps we'd feel differently ... something for everyone.

As for even smaller new ships? It would be awesome to open up to new destinations that can accommodate only those smaller ships.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

As for even smaller new ships? It would be awesome to open up to new destinations that can accommodate only those smaller ships.

You can do that on now on cruise lines like Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Viking, Windstar etc. I don't see a mainstream cruise line like Royal entering that space. Royal is not about new destinations. It is about onboard revenue and captive private islands for revenue. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I think the market is changing for cruise companies. The ship is the destination esp for the weekly cash cows to coco cay.

However that said, there may be a market for more modern smaller ships esp if ports are limiting the number of large ships that can dock.

But i dont think the maths for royals business model adds up for a smaller ship, sub 3k guests. 

I wish this weren't true, but you're probably right. I'm also a fan of the smaller ships..

On 6/13/2023 at 10:49 AM, latebuyer said:

Maybe i'll ask on holland america board if they are building any small ships. Maybe the solution is to switch cruise lines,

As a recent HAL cruiser, I can say that their ships are generally smaller than Royal's, even HAL's newest vessels.

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You can do that on now on cruise lines like Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Viking, Windstar etc. I don't see a mainstream cruise line like Royal entering that space. Royal is not about new destinations. It is about onboard revenue and captive private islands for revenue. 

I think that's a little harsh about their destinations. From what I've seen, Royal provides itineraries to places on the beaten path that the average mass market cruiser has heard of and would be interested in visiting. They're providing that first, and potentially last for many, visit to destinations they've seen, heard about, and want to visit. Royal's not trying to entice the well traveled cruiser to their line with their ports-of-call. Royal's aiming to entice with itinerary selection the vast majority of people who haven't visited a particular region or providing comfortable stops for frequent cruisers, much like some people enjoy revisiting Disney's theme parks frequently. 

With that said, if a port can't handle a Voyager-class ship, I wouldn't expect to see it as a possibility with whatever smaller class (compared to Oasis) gets introduced in the future. Assuming, of course, the rumors are true and Royal is producing a new class of ship they haven't formally announced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rackham said:

Assuming, of course, the rumors are true and Royal is producing a new class of ship they haven't formally announced.

I don't know if this has been clarified, but is it RCI (Royal Caribbean International) rumored to be building smaller ships or is it actually RCG (Royal Caribbean Group)?

If RCG, the ships could be for Celebrity, not Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Another_Critic

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I don't know if this has been clarified, but is it RCI (Royal Caribbean International) rumored to be building smaller ships or is it actually RCG (Royal Caribbean Group)?

The rumors are specific to the "of the seas" RCI

I too love smaller ships. Love to know my crew and fellow pax. Wanted to try Oceana but now that NCL owns them I will not sail as I won't give 1 penny to NCL.

Royal has to realize many long time cruisers are now empty nesters with LOTS of disposable income. We cruise many times per year. Families have lots of bills and don't have the disposable income we have.

Build some new smaller ships. Icon is the ugliest ship I've ever seen! 

More ugly than NCL Epic!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

It is  for RCI, not group and it is project Discovery which is the replacement for Vision and Radiance class. 

Project Dscovery will be the about the size of Celebrity"s edge class or Voyager class. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1