Arcadia to Iceland - do we or don't we?

Presto2

We really fancy a cruise to Iceland, but the one we really like the look of is on Arcadia. We have avoided her as reviews don't seem too good at all.

Having said that, we have friends on her at the moment and they think that we would like her which has surprised us. They like her very much and I was sceptical before they went and not sure if they would.

We loved Oceana (bet you didn't know that) and Britannia. Prefer mid size ships and don't fancy the mega ones.

Having said that, it is also nice to be on a new ship - but we don't fancy the mega ships on PO

We like ships with some choice re dining options like Sindhus and the Epicurean - especially is they have that stupid freedom dining system on her like they do with virtual queues! (We'd need Iceland to chill out)

We would want an aft cabin - and they seem available. 

Is she worth the £6K for a deluxe aft cabin for 16 nights to Iceland ?

Yes, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Arcadia in August this year?   If so, coming via Edinburgh (always a good thing!) and decent itinerary otherwise.   If 2024, she's going the other way round via Ireland.    Been in Arcadia suites, but never an aft one.   Can't recall when she's off for a refit.

Otherwise, if willing to spend that sort of money, would be looking at MSC Yacht Club in June 2024.   Similar itinerary.   Bigger ship, yes, but without the dining dramas.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered Princess cruises. We are sailing on Island Princess (a similar size to Arcadia) this August to Iceland and Greenland at about half the price for a balcony cabin that you have quoted

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We really fancy a cruise to Iceland, but the one we really like the look of is on Arcadia. We have avoided her as reviews don't seem too good at all.

Having said that, we have friends on her at the moment and they think that we would like her which has surprised us. They like her very much and I was sceptical before they went and not sure if they would.

We loved Oceana (bet you didn't know that) and Britannia. Prefer mid size ships and don't fancy the mega ones.

Having said that, it is also nice to be on a new ship - but we don't fancy the mega ships on PO

We like ships with some choice re dining options like Sindhus and the Epicurean - especially is they have that stupid freedom dining system on her like they do with virtual queues! (We'd need Iceland to chill out)

We would want an aft cabin - and they seem available. 

Is she worth the £6K for a deluxe aft cabin for 16 nights to Iceland ?

Go for it, if only so we can read another award winning review.🥇🏅

• Like 1

We are booked on the Arcadia cruise on August 8th, it is expensive but we booked it because it coincides with our 20th wedding anniversary and the Princess one doesn't.

I have also heard negaive things and it is a pity that the refit she was supposed to have last year won't happen until later this year bbut we will just try to make the best of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cathygh said:

We are booked on the Arcadia cruise on August 8th, it is expensive but we booked it because it coincides with our 20th wedding anniversary and the Princess one doesn't.

I have also heard negaive things and it is a pity that the refit she was supposed to have last year won't happen until later this year bbut we will just try to make the best of it.

We’re on that cruise as well despite itinerary changes since we booked. We were on Arcadia last October and were perfectly satisfied with her. We are also on her in September 2024 for a 30 night USA and Canada cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We’re on that cruise as well despite itinerary changes since we booked. We were on Arcadia last October and were perfectly satisfied with her. We are also on her in September 2024 for a 30 night USA and Canada cruise.

That is very reassuring. The itinerary has cahnged alot and now includes Liverpool which I thught was a bit odd (no offence to Liverpudlians) but we visited the city on QM's Coronation Cruise and loved it and I can't wait to go back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

That is very reassuring. The itinerary has cahnged alot and now includes Liverpool which I thught was a bit odd (no offence to Liverpudlians) but we visited the city on QM's Coronation Cruise and loved it and I can't wait to go back.

I think they were originally going to the Faroes but after the annual dolphin massacre there have decided to give it a miss. When I went there  several years ago there were almost no facilities, no bars and i think one coffee shop. Now there seem to be lots but I guess they are suffering from the justified lack of tourists.

• Like 4

We too are on Iceland 8th August (Silver Anniversary) and Canada/US 30 day in 2024 😃. We have never sailed on Arcadia and have been anxious about the negative reviews, but thought we would go with an open mind and not look at anything negatively. 

• Like 2

We live 25 mins from Liverpool and the pier head, museums and Liverpool 1 are excellent. We visited over Eurovision and had a wonderful day. The big wheel by the arena gives fantastic views

View recent photos.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Yeh the Faroes was dropped due to their whaling policy, an Iceland port was dropped and basically going the opposite way round now Norway followed by Iceland. I’m not impressed at Liverpool being an added port of call 1) it’s only 40 minutes away from where we live and have been there many times, 2) We also only went there 2 weeks ago on a round Britain cruise where we just got off the ship and mooched for an hour or so and got a couple of bottles of cabin wine!🍷

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think they were originally going to the Faroes but after the annual dolphin massacre there have decided to give it a miss. When I went there  several years ago there were almost no facilities, no bars and i think one coffee shop. Now there seem to be lots but I guess they are suffering from the justified lack of tourists.

Thumbs-up to P&O for that. Who knows, if more companies followed suit.🐳🐳

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, TPers said:

We too are on Iceland 8th August (Silver Anniversary) and Canada/US 30 day in 2024 😃. We have never sailed on Arcadia and have been anxious about the negative reviews, but thought we would go with an open mind and not look at anything negatively. 

That’s a coincidence as well as being on the same cruises we live not that far from you near Nantwich.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yeh the Faroes was dropped due to their whaling policy, an Iceland port was dropped and basically going the opposite way round now Norway followed by Iceland. I’m not impressed at Liverpool being an added port of call 1) it’s only 40 minutes away from where we live and have been there many times, 2) We also only went there 2 weeks ago on a round Britain cruise where we just got off the ship and mooched for an hour or so and got a couple of bottles of cabin wine!🍷

Oh dear. Well I suppose you could pop home and do your laundry🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, ann141 said:

Have you considered Princess cruises. We are sailing on Island Princess (a similar size to Arcadia) this August to Iceland and Greenland at about half the price for a balcony cabin that you have quoted

We have actually. This cruise is 16 nights though.  Not sure what the Princess one is

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We have actually. This cruise is 16 nights though.  Not sure what the Princess one is

We are going on a 16 night cruise this August on Island Princess to Iceland and Greenland 

• Thanks 1

Typical CC,the negative reviews get noticed,the positive ones get ignored seemingly.

We have recently returned after a 19 night Med cruise on Arcadia,our first time on her,we loved the ship & would love to go on her again.

Yes she is 18 years old(so is my newest car!),you can't t expect her to look brand new with the travelling she does,that just isn't practical,we have travelled on many ferries of a similar ages or older so don't really notice the wear & tear,to us she seemed a classy ship,more so than Arvia or Iona from what I have seen.

The Rising Sun is a fabulous room,as is the Crows Nest,The Palladium Theatre is a lovely venue,same with the Globe,the MDR is a classy room with tables not on top of each other,the Ocean Grill & Sindhu were both outstanding with amazing staff.

I cringe when programmes appear on TV describing cruising as the height of luxury,those days are gone,reflected in the price you pay these days,head off with that idea in mind & you WILL be disappointed!😎

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Typical CC,the negative reviews get noticed,the positive ones get ignored seemingly.

We have recently returned after a 19 night Med cruise on Arcadia,our first time on her,we loved the ship & would love to go on her again.

Yes she is 18 years old(so is my newest car!),you can't t expect her to look brand new with the travelling she does,that just isn't practical,we have travelled on many ferries of a similar ages or older so don't really notice the wear & tear,to us she seemed a classy ship,more so than Arvia or Iona from what I have seen.

The Rising Sun is a fabulous room,as is the Crows Nest,The Palladium Theatre is a lovely venue,same with the Globe,the MDR is a classy room with tables not on top of each other,the Ocean Grill & Sindhu were both outstanding with amazing staff.

I cringe when programmes appear on TV describing cruising as the height of luxury,those days are gone,reflected in the price you pay these days,head off with that idea in mind & you WILL be disappointed!😎

Don't  fully agree. Some folk jump on any negative comment and turn it into a major crisis. Some just ignore them. Glad you enjoyed Arcadia. The number of folk booking her suggest more happy cruisers.

• Like 3

Just now, zap99 said:

Don't  fully agree. Some folk jump on any negative comment and turn it into a major crisis. Some just ignore them. Glad you enjoyed Arcadia. The number of folk booking her suggest more happy cruisers.

Agree,looking at other cruises on her & they seem pretty expensive,no 7 nights for £499 like I see advertised for Arvia & Iona,attracting many oldies I hear but to me speaks volumes about which is the nicer ship to cruise on!

• Like 1

I'm following opinions on Arcadia very closely as I have a large chunk of her next world cruise booked but I'm very torn on whether to spend that kind of money on something that may not be a top of the range experience.   Snaefell, you confuse me. You seemed to enjoy sailing on her but can't help referring to her as a ferry on more than one occasion!  Not helping my decision! 

I've booked the Iceland cruise which departs on 29th August.  This will be my third P&O Cruise, first time on Arcadia.  I have heard some of the negatives but hoping to go with a positive attitude and have a great time.  It was a great price when we booked and I've not cruised since 2019.  Can't wait 😊

• Like 4