Transportation from Venice to Marco Polo Airport

wendyp247

Which hotel ?

Piazzale Roma is the last point of land travel in Venice, so it's where the airport buses, taxis, cars, drop off their pax to explore Venice, AND, it's where you depart in order to return to the airport.

I typically stay around the Rialto area, so I take a waterbus up the Canal to PRoma, then the ATVO airport express bus to VCE (20 minutes, 10E).   A cab from PRoma to VCE is around 45E.

The Aliliguna is an option if you want to travel by water from Venice to VCE.

And of course, a private water taxi from your hotel to VCE, which will be around 140E.

Depends on where you're staying and your budget. 

Edited by mapleleaves

15 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Staying at the Carlton on the Grand .

Can I pick up a cab near my hotel?  we have a morning flight so we don't hae time for any no shows. thanks

Most of Venice cannot be directly access by cars.  So, no, you cannot get a cab "near" your hotel.  But near is a relative term.

From your hotel, options would include:

1. Arrange a water taxi through the hotel to pick you in a boat directly in front of your hotel on the Grand Canal.  This will be the most expensive option, but very memorable.

2. Walk along the Grand Canal for a bit.  Go over 2 bridges.  Walk into Piazzale Roma, the transportation hub mentioned in the above post.  From there, you can catch a taxi or bus to the airport.  This option will be more affordable (especially if you take a bus), but you'll need to deal with the walking distance, bridges and your luggage to get there.  Look at Google Maps and see the distance.  You can even use Street View to see what the walk would be like.  Some people might consider this to be a "near" walk.

If it were me, as an able bodied person who travels with manageable luggage, I would just walk it.  But that's just me.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks for you help.  I understand  our   visit coincides with that of the Venice Film Festival.

Aug 30, 2023 - Sat, Sep 9, 2023.  We need reliable transportation to get to the airport since we have an early flight. I  will lookup distance  from hotel to the transportation hub.  

You can order a private water taxi to pick you up from your hotel and take you directly to the Airport. We did this on arrival. It was a splurge (140eu) but it was well worth it after long travel. Trip took 25 min. 
Conversely you can also take public water bus to the airport with multiple stops. 1 hr 30 min, 15eu. 
Or take your bags to Palazzo Roma and catch a cab or bus. 

2 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Thanks for you help.  I understand  our   visit coincides with that of the Venice Film Festival.

Aug 30, 2023 - Sat, Sep 9, 2023.  We need reliable transportation to get to the airport since we have an early flight. I  will lookup distance  from hotel to the transportation hub.  

We had a 6a flight out so took several days in Venice pre cruise, then stayed at Marriott Courtyard next to the hotel for the flight the next day. There is a public bus stop right across the street from the hotel you can take to go into the city and back. 
‘also - check directly with your hotel for all your options. Ours was very helpful for arrival. 

Edited by Vineyard View

12 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Most of Venice cannot be directly access by cars.  So, no, you cannot get a cab "near" your hotel.  But near is a relative term.

From your hotel, options would include:

1. Arrange a water taxi through the hotel to pick you in a boat directly in front of your hotel on the Grand Canal.  This will be the most expensive option, but very memorable.

2. Walk along the Grand Canal for a bit.  Go over 2 bridges.  Walk into Piazzale Roma, the transportation hub mentioned in the above post.  From there, you can catch a taxi or bus to the airport.  This option will be more affordable (especially if you take a bus), but you'll need to deal with the walking distance, bridges and your luggage to get there.  Look at Google Maps and see the distance.  You can even use Street View to see what the walk would be like.  Some people might consider this to be a "near" walk.

If it were me, as an able bodied person who travels with manageable luggage, I would just walk it.  But that's just me.

I just looked up  walk from Hotel Carlton to  the transportation hub. I think its doable, Google maps says 5 minutes walk.   I am not a spring chicken (lol)  Will there be   either water taxis or buses available  at 6 am or do I need to make some kind of reservation? 

Edited by wendyp247

5 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We had a 6a flight out so took several days in Venice pre cruise, then stayed at Marriott Courtyard next to the hotel for the flight the next day. There is a public bus stop right across the street from the hotel you can take to go into the city and back. 
‘also - check directly with your hotel for all your options. Ours was very helpful for arrival. 

We are only in Venice 2 nights, we are only in Venice 2 nights so we'd rather stay in Venice. Also hotel is already booked with Airline package, and traveling with 2 other couples.  their flights ar later in the day.

If you are right on the Grand then Hotel Carlton will be able to order you a water taxi to pick you up directly from the hotel. Check to be sure but I am pretty positive. That time is no problem

you can share a water taxi with a limited number of people - if we only had two nights I would stay in Venice too!  Our flight was 6a so a little different and we had 4 night pre. Have a wonderful time. Venice is magical early morning and late afternoon-evenings!

Edited by Vineyard View

8 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

I just looked up  walk from Hotel Carlton to  the transportation hub. I think its doable, Google maps says 5 minutes walk.   I am not a spring chicken (lol)  Will there be   either water taxis or buses available  at 6 am or do I need to make some kind of reservation? 

To clarify, if you walk to Piazzale Roma, you would be taking a car taxi.  Not a water taxi.  You would only need a water taxi if you chose to do it directly from your hotel.

Unfortunately, I do now know the hours of these services.  Hopefully someone else will offer that.

Hearing more of the details, I think if I needed to do this all at 6am or earlier, I would probably just open the wallet and pay for a water taxi from directly in front of my hotel.  It's a lot of money, but in the bigger picture of the entire vacation expenses, it probably isn't so bad. And yes, the hotel can arrange it and the timing would not be a problem.  Go out with a memorable event!

22 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Hearing more of the details, I think if I needed to do this all at 6am or earlier, I would probably just open the wallet and pay for a water taxi from directly in front of my hotel.  It's a lot of money, but in the bigger picture of the entire vacation expenses, it probably isn't so bad. And yes, the hotel can arrange it and the timing would not be a problem.  Go out with a memorable event!

100%. It creates a great memory for sure!

Edited by Vineyard View

How early is your flight?

It's an easy 5-6 minute walk from the Carlton to Piazzale Roma; only 2 small bridges to cross.  Assuming you can easily manage your luggage.  How are you getting to your hotel?

Once you reach P Roma, you can either take the ATVO Airport Bus or a cab to VCE.  Both take 20 minutes.

A cab is about 45E.  For an early morning trip, make a reservation to ensure a cab will be waiting.  Taxi Venice and Mestre: Cooperativa Radiotaxi in Venice, the main authorized taxis (radiotaxivenezia.com)

ATVO starts at 4:20am and costs 10E pp  Linea n. 35 (atvo.it)

During the film festival you might not be able to get a water taxi.  Check for availability:

Booking Water Taxi in Venice is Now Easy - Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia

14 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

Staying at the Carlton on the Grand .

Can I pick up a cab near my hotel?  we have a morning flight so we don't hae time for any no shows. thanks

This hotel is just two small bridges away from PR, so very easy to access the aero bus to the airport.  The bus to the airport will drop you outside the terminal door. 

A motoscarfi will cost €140 to the airport.  You will still then need to walk from the water dock to the terminal - at least 10 mins but there are some travelators. 
As you admit you aren’t a “ spring chicken” you also need to consider physically getting in and out of the motor taxi!!! Not easy!  I’d take the bus.  If it’s wet/windy the motoscarfi is not as glamorous as it seems! 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1