American Cemetery in Normandy tour from Le Havre France.

mrcuswlby

I am very interested in going to the D-Day beaches on my port visit to Le Havre on September 29th of this year.  From what I am able to gather group tours are no longer picking up from Le Havre.  Private tours are very expensive, what would be the best way to find other interested folks on the Regal Princess or another cruise ship to share the cost.

9 minutes ago, mrcuswlby said:

I am very interested in going to the D-Day beaches on my port visit to Le Havre on September 29th of this year.  From what I am able to gather group tours are no longer picking up from Le Havre.  Private tours are very expensive, what would be the best way to find other interested folks on the Regal Princess or another cruise ship to share the cost.

post this in your roll call

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Samkitty1 said:

If you are looking for a tour from the port in LeHavre..i can reccomend this one.. 

Overlord tour 9B full day tour 

From Le Havre: Omaha beach, the American cemetery, Bayeux, Honfleur....The 2023 price for this tour is 150 Euros per person.

http://www.overlordtour.com

Just did this tour. I also highly recommend. Smaller vans go to different location on Omaha Beach away from the Princess Busses. Also, had time to see the Bayeux Tapestries and have lunch while in Bayeux.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Samkitty1 said:

If you are looking for a tour from the port in LeHavre..i can reccomend this one.. 

Overlord tour 9B full day tour 

From Le Havre: Omaha beach, the American cemetery, Bayeux, Honfleur....The 2023 price for this tour is 150 Euros per person.

http://www.overlordtour.com

Thanks, unfortunately the tour is full for the day I am in LeHavre.  I am on the standby list so I will keep my fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, BURNSMN said:

Just did this tour. I also highly recommend. Smaller vans go to different location on Omaha Beach away from the Princess Busses. Also, had time to see the Bayeux Tapestries and have lunch while in Bayeux.

Thanks,

7 minutes ago, mrcuswlby said:

Thanks, unfortunately the tour is full for the day I am in LeHavre.  I am on the standby list so I will keep my fingers crossed!

I hope you get on the tour...our tour was memorable, because my father was a D Day veteran of the 29th division... I was also waitlisted initially, but once they had enough interest another bus was added. The busses are small...16 passenger maximum

Also, keep an eye on the Princess sponsored tour for cancellations  just in case you don't make it up the list for the Overlord tour. It's a lot more expensive but it will get you there. 

17 minutes ago, mrcuswlby said:

Don’t lose hope. They were fully booked as were the Princess excursions. Both opened up more spots after a while. Keep checking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samkitty1 said:

I hope you get on the tour...our tour was memorable, because my father was a D Day veteran of the 29th division... I was also waitlisted initially, but once they had enough interest another bus was added. The busses are small...16 passenger maximum

Also, keep an eye on the Princess sponsored tour for cancellations  just in case you don't make it up the list for the Overlord tour. It's a lot more expensive but it will get you there. 

Thanks so much, I will keep all my options open.

I don't know if you're a DIYer, but FWIW a group of us rented a van right at the pier (this was a number of years ago off the Ocean Princess).  There were about eight of us and we were actually at the beaches on DDay.  Quite an experience.

Don't know if it would work for you, but could be an option for those of you on the roll call.

Tough to get it all in from Le Harve in one day - it's 2-1/2 hours roundtrip on the road.

If possible, I highly recommend a night (or 2 or 3) in Bayeux, with a rental car. We were able to board the ship (the Regal) when we did this trip in Le Harve, which continued as a TA back to Florida.

There's really so much to see, including the fantastic must-see Bayeux Tapestry exhibit.

You'll want to experience the American Cemetery at closing, when the flags are ceremoniously lowered accompanied by a bugler's Taps - not a dry eye in sight.

On the way to Utah Beach, there's a town Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, that should be on the list of any D-Day tours. It's one of the best marked towns with signs literally all through out the town's center describing the horrors that took place there immediately following the Utah landing. The church still bears bullet holed inside the confessionals where German soldiers hid (unsuccessfully). There's a haunting picture at the entrance of the church of a Mass shortly after the invasion full of stunned GI's. 

Drive from Le Harve along the beaches and you'll see the Merville Battery, Pegasus Bridge site, Sword and Juno Beaches. along the way to Omaha and Utah further to the west. Look for Bill Millin's statue - the "Mad Piper", a Canadian by birth but a Scotsman by upbringing. Millin leaped off his landing craft in full regalia blowing his bagpipes into sheets of live fire. He survived to tell us that a German soldier told him after the war that some German soldiers didn't fire at him because they though he had gone mad!

We spent three days touring there and it's still not enough but do make the trip, even for the better part of one day!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brucedodge said:

I don't know if you're a DIYer, but FWIW a group of us rented a van right at the pier (this was a number of years ago off the Ocean Princess).  There were about eight of us and we were actually at the beaches on DDay.  Quite an experience.

Don't know if it would work for you, but could be an option for those of you on the roll call.

I am not ruling anything out, definitely not above a self guided trip.

2 hours ago, loge23 said:

Tough to get it all in from Le Harve in one day - it's 2-1/2 hours roundtrip on the road.

If possible, I highly recommend a night (or 2 or 3) in Bayeux, with a rental car. We were able to board the ship (the Regal) when we did this trip in Le Harve, which continued as a TA back to Florida.

There's really so much to see, including the fantastic must-see Bayeux Tapestry exhibit.

You'll want to experience the American Cemetery at closing, when the flags are ceremoniously lowered accompanied by a bugler's Taps - not a dry eye in sight.

On the way to Utah Beach, there's a town Sainte-Marie-du-Mont, that should be on the list of any D-Day tours. It's one of the best marked towns with signs literally all through out the town's center describing the horrors that took place there immediately following the Utah landing. The church still bears bullet holed inside the confessionals where German soldiers hid (unsuccessfully). There's a haunting picture at the entrance of the church of a Mass shortly after the invasion full of stunned GI's. 

Drive from Le Harve along the beaches and you'll see the Merville Battery, Pegasus Bridge site, Sword and Juno Beaches. along the way to Omaha and Utah further to the west. Look for Bill Millin's statue - the "Mad Piper", a Canadian by birth but a Scotsman by upbringing. Millin leaped off his landing craft in full regalia blowing his bagpipes into sheets of live fire. He survived to tell us that a German soldier told him after the war that some German soldiers didn't fire at him because they though he had gone mad!

We spent three days touring there and it's still not enough but do make the trip, even for the better part of one day!

Agreed, 1 day is definitely not enough time.  However that is all I have for this trip and do not want to miss it for a return trip in the future. 

• Like 2

I am completely confused about which group is going where, the prices, the company, etc,  Is Overlord the best of the companies??  We have never been to Europe and never been on a Princess Cruise, and are utterly overwhelmed!

I’m sure there are many tour companies that are very good, but we took an Overlord tour and found it to be absolutely exceptional!  Very professional, easy to reserve, and reasonable pricing.

We did a private tour several years ago. There were about 12 of us in a nice van. We found this tour on the roll call for our cruise. Someone else had made the arrangements and we were able to join the tour. It was very nice. Sorry, but I can’t remember the name of the company. I would suggest checking with your roll call. 

5 hours ago, VVK said:

I am completely confused about which group is going where, the prices, the company, etc,  Is Overlord the best of the companies??  We have never been to Europe and never been on a Princess Cruise, and are utterly overwhelmed!

I am not an expert on this and am not trying to pretend to be one.  I recently booked this cruise and the one thing I did not want to miss was the American Cemetery in Normandy.  I looked at Princess excursions and others that will pick you up at Le Havre.  Unfortunately every group tour I looked up was booked due to getting into the game so late.  The only other options were a private tour or find a way to Bayeux and take a tour that originates from there.  I contacted Overlord and Pegasus and was told all private tours had been booked, I am on the waiting list for Overlord in case someone cancels.  I am booking a private tour with Gold Beach Company and may have a couple of extra seats but I won't know for sure until I actually have the tour and figure out who in my group is going.  Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, mrcuswlby said:

I am not an expert on this and am not trying to pretend to be one.  I recently booked this cruise and the one thing I did not want to miss was the American Cemetery in Normandy.  I looked at Princess excursions and others that will pick you up at Le Havre.  Unfortunately every group tour I looked up was booked due to getting into the game so late.  The only other options were a private tour or find a way to Bayeux and take a tour that originates from there.  I contacted Overlord and Pegasus and was told all private tours had been booked, I am on the waiting list for Overlord in case someone cancels.  I am booking a private tour with Gold Beach Company and may have a couple of extra seats but I won't know for sure until I actually have the tour and figure out who in my group is going.  Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, mrcuswlby said: