Split, Croatia -- A Great Memory

I was thinking back today on our Mediterranean cruise (Apr 15 - April 30).  We hit all of the typical tourist sites along the cruise (Italy, Spain).  But one of my favorite days has to have been the day in Split, Croatia.

Please consider this port if you are planning a Mediterranean itinerary.

We saw Diocletian's palace, the Riva ... and for the most part it was just a very relaxed day.  The gals really enjoyed the market area too.  And we all wish that we could have spent some more time there.

You can see so much right there near the port.  No excursion necessary at all.  A great day.  A great memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, ajtraveler66 said:

I was thinking back today on our Mediterranean cruise (Apr 15 - April 30).  We hit all of the typical tourist sites along the cruise (Italy, Spain).  But one of my favorite days has to have been the day in Split, Croatia.

We saw Diocletian's palace, the Riva ... and for the most part it was just a very relaxed day.  The gals really enjoyed the market area too.  And we all wish that we could have spent some more time there.

You can see so much right there near the port.  No excursion necessary at all.  A great day.  A great memory.

AJ, As recommended, did you also make it up to the viewpoint either by taxi or on foot?

• Like 1

AJ makes a great point.  Unfortunately, because our time in Split was shortened, we did not make it up to the viewpoint that is mentioned (AJ might give more info here on that viewpoint because I can't remember the details).  He offers good advice, so I would take that advice if you find that you have a lot of time in Split.  We were originally to be there for 10 hours or so... but for whatever reason, our time was shortened considerably.  But we still LOVED Split.   ...  Take in that view if you have ample time.

1 hour ago, ajtraveler66 said:

AJ makes a great point.  Unfortunately, because our time in Split was shortened, we did not make it up to the viewpoint that is mentioned (AJ might give more info here on that viewpoint because I can't remember the details).  He offers good advice, so I would take that advice if you find that you have a lot of time in Split.  We were originally to be there for 10 hours or so... but for whatever reason, our time was shortened considerably.  But we still LOVED Split.   ...  Take in that view if you have ample time.

Sorry to read you didn't make it up there AJ as the views were worth the effort. Also sorry that the reason for not making it was due to time in port being shortened, and that was a pity as Split is one of the nicest ports of call and merits as much time as possible to make the most of it.

Perhaps though you might book another European itinerary in the future, one which includes Split once again, although there are a number of other lovely ports worth visiting in Croatia.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulainfo2cruise said:

Can you walk off the ship to see the palace? Is there a fee to get in? Is the market near the ship?

Yes, you can easily reach by foot the palace/old town/beachfront promenade from where the ships dock.

Parts of the palace have a charge -- for example, there's a charge to visit the basements (the best place to see the structure of the palace as the "rooms" duplicate exactly what would have been above). Other parts cannot be accessed. But you can get a good idea of the space just by walking around the area from the outide (both on the sea-side and on the inward-side). The church and the temple both also had a small admission fee, IIRC. 

You can pick up a local walking tour from the Info Point in the piazza in front of the Palace entrance. They offer inexpensive tours in English just about every hour, at least through the morning and early afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the Palace and Riva are a 10-15 minute walk from the ship depending on your walking speed.  You will be able to see some of both from your ship.  We know of three markets in Split.

If you imaginne walking off the ship through the ferry piers and bus station you will arrive at a sort of "T" junction.  Left for Riva, Palace etc, but very close to that junction is quite a large daily  market on the opposite side of the main road.

There is also the small fish market further along the Riva west of the palace area and just off a pedestrianised street whose name escapes me. 

We also came across a third one by chance as we wandered,uphill from the back of the first mentioned daily one. If you imagine the market "front" is the area closest to the sea, and the "back" the area furthest from the sea, we walked on the uphill street to the right of the market.

and close to the palace there are usual stallholders selling craft items.

I expect if you googled you would find them all showing on a map of Split.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

At my age, it's doubtful I will ever do another Mediterranean cruise (I've done two) ... and I want to stay closer to home for the rest of my 'cruising adventures'.  HOWEVER, if I ever should decide to do another Mediterranean cruise, I would INSIST that Split be on the itinerary.  (Another cheer from me in my support of this wonderful port city).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

At my age, it's doubtful I will ever do another Mediterranean cruise (I've done two) ... and I want to stay closer to home for the rest of my 'cruising adventures'.

AJ , per Abe Lincoln as it seems appropriate.

“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count.” its the life in your years"

Life is short. Go for whichever itineraries most appeal to you.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, ajtraveler66 said:

Good news!  Thanks for sharing!