Two Labadee questions

Sizzlechest

1. What options are there for transportation on Labadee? The port is a long walk and an even longer one to the beaches. I know there is a shuttle for suite guests. Any other options?

2. Are there any beaches that don't have that horrible seaweed growing on the sea floor? It was fun watching people's faces when they stepped on it, but I've moved on. And no, I don't want to wear water shoes.

22 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

1. What options are there for transportation on Labadee? The port is a long walk and an even longer one to the beaches. I know there is a shuttle for suite guests. Any other options?

There are people on the dock who have wheelchairs to transport cruisers to the tram station & back. There is also a ferry that travels between the dock and Columbus Cove (only). Be aware, there is a short walk, at times uphill and on rocky footing, from the Columbus Cove ferry dock to Columbus Cove.

I found Columbus Cove mostly free of seaweed.

• Thanks 1

Agree with the above.  The little tram runs around the island constantly, get on - get off as you please, no one cares about suite, etc..  You do have to walk some distance from the ship to where it starts.  Wheelchairs were being used across that walk.   Didn't see any of that seaweed at Labadee when we were there, but maybe we were lucky.

14 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

There are people on the dock who have wheelchairs to transport cruisers to the tram station & back. There is also a ferry that travels between the dock and Columbus Cove (only). Be aware, there is a short walk, at times uphill and on rocky footing, from the Columbus Cove ferry dock to Columbus Cove.

I found Columbus Cove mostly free of seaweed.

labadee-2017-beach-map.jpg

I found a map of the island. It looks like the tram stops at Barefoot Beach (15), Nellie's Beach (44), Town Square (25), and Columbus Cove (43). I'm glad it's open to all cruisers, not just suite guests.

I've heard good things about Columbus Cove, but it's the LAST stop on the island. I hope it's worth it.

8 minutes ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

We didn’t have seaweed at Nellies beach last July.

I was at Nellie's Beach last August and it most certainly did have this problem, which now makes me doubt what everyone else said about the other beaches.

Let me be clear. I'm talking about seaweed that grows UNDERWATER. It's also NOT when you first go in. It's when you wade out further when the water is up to your shoulders.

EDIT: Go to 4:19 in this video. You can see what I'm talking about:

The sea floor is covered with these plants. Stepping on them is NOT pleasant.

Edited by Sizzlechest

22 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I was at Nellie's Beach last August and it most certainly did have this problem, which now makes me doubt what everyone else said about the other beaches.

Let me be clear. I'm talking about seaweed that grows UNDERWATER. It's also NOT when you first go in. It's when you wade out further when the water is up to your shoulders.

EDIT: Go to 4:19 in this video. You can see what I'm talking about:

The sea floor is covered with these plants. Stepping on them is NOT pleasant.

Its seagrass. Important to the ecosystem. Provides food, shelter to many species that live in grass.

23 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

So it's everywhere and the folks who said it doesn't exist were mistaken. Is that right?

Seagrass is an underwater flowering plant. 

It is not seaweed. It’s in every sea. It filters nutrients from runoff and helps keep the water clear. This ecosystem helps feed turtles and dolphins and much more. 

9 hours ago, RJ257 said:

Seagrass is an underwater flowering plant. 

It is not seaweed. It’s in every sea. It filters nutrients from runoff and helps keep the water clear. This ecosystem helps feed turtles and dolphins and much more. 

So it's everywhere and the folks who said it doesn't exist were mistaken. Is that right?

No that's not right. I think folks in this thread are talking about seaweed that floats in the water and ends up on beaches that pretty much everyone dislikes. What you felt when walking in the water and called "seaweed" is not seaweed it is seagrass. Home to many creatures including seahorses and invertebrates. Its a feeding ground for many fish , turtles etc. Its also cut and used to make handicraft like baskets Ive read. It is not everywhere on the ocean floor but does grow in all oceans. So I dont think anyone was mistaken just confused by the two.

If you want more information Google" seagrass" or "seaweed vs seagrass" and plenty of articles are available for reading.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RJ257 said:

No that's not right. I think folks in this thread are talking about seaweed that floats in the water and ends up on beaches that pretty much everyone dislikes. What you felt when walking in the water and called "seaweed" is not seaweed it is seagrass. Home to many creatures including seahorses and invertebrates. Its a feeding ground for many fish , turtles etc. Its also cut and used to make handicraft like baskets Ive read. It is not everywhere on the ocean floor but does grow in all oceans. So I dont think anyone was mistaken just confused by the two.

If you want more information Google" seagrass" or "seaweed vs seagrass" and plenty of articles are available for reading.

I see. So when I asked, "Are there any beaches that don't have that horrible seaweed growing on the sea floor?" I got the wrong answer because I used seaweed instead of seagrass. I guess their internal monologue went something like:

"He's asking about seaweed growing on the sea floor and how it's unpleasant to step on. Could he be talking about seagrass, which everyone knows is home to many creatures including seahorses and invertebrates? No. That can't be right. He's explicitly talking about seaweed. Rather than ask for clarification, I'll give him a definite 'no' answer. That should resolve things nicely."

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

I see. So when I asked, "Are there any beaches that don't have that horrible seaweed growing on the sea floor?" I got the wrong answer because I used seaweed instead of seagrass. I guess their internal monologue went something like:

"He's asking about seaweed growing on the sea floor and how it's unpleasant to step on. Could he be talking about seagrass, which everyone knows is home to many creatures including seahorses and invertebrates? No. That can't be right. He's explicitly talking about seaweed. Rather than ask for clarification, I'll give him a definite 'no' answer. That should resolve things nicely."

Sounds right. I’m sure you will find plenty of beaches in your travels that have little to no seagrass. Good luck! 

11 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

They stopped at “seaweed” and responded.

2 hours ago, Honeynole said:

They stopped at “seaweed” and responded.

I know. If they're going to allow bot accounts on here, they should be at least the same level as GPT4. That last one just started sputtering Wikipedia entries.