Aft-facing Balcony vs midship-balcony

MrsTocko

DH and I have always gone with mid ship Balcony and we love it. Thinking of trying an Aft Balcony. Pros and cons? Thinking of trying it on the Bliss for our 5th cruise to Alaska.  The last time we did the Alaska/Bliss cruise we were midship.  I have heard ash/soot from the stacks are an issue.  We spend alot of time on our balcony when cruising alaska (leaving public viewing areas for others).  DH poted this elsewhere, and the 2 main cons were the ash/soot and it is a long walk to the elevator.  We really dont mind the walk, as we routinely walk the length of the ship multiple times a day to compensate for elevator traffic.

I HAVE in the past gotten seasick, but I bering the sea bands and motion sickness pills with me (I can get nauseous in the back seat of a car), this is a bigger concern than the long walk to an elevator. We also will book so we keep a passenger deck between us and public areas (both above and below).

The cost difference at the moment is $600, so not too bad.  Would we be better off booking our normal cabin and then bidding for an uprade?

Thank you for your kind thoughts and responses.

11 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

Thinking of trying it on the Bliss for our 5th cruise to Alaska.

Balcony depth will differ depending on deck, there are differences in balcony width within each deck, and bed location can vary (near balcony vs. near closet).  

13 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

I have heard ash/soot from the stacks are an issue.

It can be an issue or it can be a non-issue. There are too many factors as to whether there will be a noticeable amount of soot on the balcony. I've never had a problem larger than a dime or quarter sized drop of soot and even then, it was maybe 2 drops over a 7 day cruise. Some people have had their clothes stained by sitting on dirty furniture but that hasn't happened to me.  

You might feel an occasional shimmy from the azipods but I don't think that motion sickness is an issue. The sound from the water churning in the aft is soothing to some, annoying to others. The late night music from Spice H2O can bother some people who are on the higher decks. These are things that only you will be able to determine if they are a problem. 

• Like 2

I did my first aft balcony last year as a solo on the Holland Volendam.  Personally, I prefer a mid-balcony.  I like to know what's ahead of the ship.  Yes, I'm only seeing one side, but I still prefer it over seeing both sides out the back.  My aft balcony was huge, but for me it was wasted space.  I spend most of my time on the rail and a smaller balcony fits that fine.  So long as there is room to set up my tripod, I'm fine with mid-balcony.

We've never had an ash/soot issue with an aft facing balcony and the view is awesome.  Choose a higher deck to minimize the noise of the wake, but not under a deck with heavy public areas, e.g., Garden Cafe.  I've got a pair of aft balconies booked on the Bliss next month.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

Choose a higher deck to minimize the noise of the wake, but not under a deck with heavy public areas, e.g., Garden Cafe.

On Bliss, the Garden Café is in the front. The Spa is above the highest aft staterooms and the sundeck (Spice H2O) is above that. 

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

With bidding, you won't have a choice of stateroom. In the aft, stateroom choice can be a huge difference. 

Which is the main reason i dont usually bid for an upgrade, as I pick and pay for the room i WANT at the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Balcony depth will differ depending on deck, there are differences in balcony width within each deck, and bed location can vary (near balcony vs. near closet).  

It can be an issue or it can be a non-issue. There are too many factors as to whether there will be a noticeable amount of soot on the balcony. I've never had a problem larger than a dime or quarter sized drop of soot and even then, it was maybe 2 drops over a 7 day cruise. Some people have had their clothes stained by sitting on dirty furniture but that hasn't happened to me.  

You might feel an occasional shimmy from the azipods but I don't think that motion sickness is an issue. The sound from the water churning in the aft is soothing to some, annoying to others. The late night music from Spice H2O can bother some people who are on the higher decks. These are things that only you will be able to determine if they are a problem. 

Previously we did an angled balcony on the Bliss, and loved it - midship.  We like the sound of the water, so that wont bother us.  On the bliss we would CHOOSE decks 10-14.

We are fairly easy going, would take a HUGE HUGE issue for a cruise to be ruined (ruined i say), or even be bummed out on a cruise.  we have had missed ports, cancelled excursions, unfulfilled expectations (unknowingly unrealistic) nothing been ruined yet, including my very first cruise where I missed the last 2 days because of being seasick.  (bottom passenger deck, far forward, ocean view room)

The only reason we haven't tried aft (or forward) is the distance to walk. We walk enough on a cruise. With midship, you go left or right and you're at the stairs/elevators nearer your destination.

It's a long way from an aft cabin to Maltings Whiskey Bar on Encore. 😎

• Like 1

I usually book inside but have sailed in both standard and aft balconies.  IMHO, there is absolutely no comparison.  The standard balcony is a novelty to me.  Sure, I can step out in my boxers before breakfast and see how the weather is, or where we're at.  I can probably get the same info on my TV.  The two standard chairs are among the worst on the ship.  An aft balcony with a pair of loungers?  Totally different story.  I can and have taken my afternoon nap out there. 

• Like 2

Had our first aft last year in Alaska (HAL Westerdam). Loved it. Yes, you only see the back and both back sides, but had lounge chairs and we had the view of the wake so could watch for "critters" from behind. And having the wide open views from the back ( and private) for glacier viewing was great.

I too was concerned about motion sickness, but after reading everyone rave about afts, thought I'd give it a try. I didn't have any real peoblems. I will say though that I generally take a bonine every day on a cruise to be safe. I agree with those that said they would go further up, when you are at the lower levels you don't have the expansive view and the noise from the wake is more.

Being in the aft cabins for Alaska is ideal. All of the aft cabins are bigger than regular side facing. No wind and the amazing views are worth every extra step to the other parts of the ship!  Never had an issue with soot on any ship, I guess I've been lucky.

It is always our first choice of cabin whether Suite, Haven or regular balcony .

12 minutes ago, candygirl27540 said:

I am!

Let's poke at that.  I'm retired (so time is plentiful) and looking at some Summer 2024 Encore sailings (seven days in AK).  I've fully priced them through mock bookings (IOW these are out the door prices).  An inside for a 14 day B2B is $6900 bucks.  An aft balcony for a single seven-day itinerary is an even $7K.  Which would bring me more enjoyment for the $$$$$$$ spent?

Well, that's obviously a personal call.  If it were me in an aft balcony on day six receiving that "it's time to leave us now" fake daily, I would be really pi$$ed at that guy in the mirror who just had to have his sweet nap on a lounger on an aft balcony. 😎  But, to each their own.

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Let's poke at that.  I'm retired (so time is plentiful) and looking at some Summer 2024 Encore sailings (seven days in AK).  I've fully priced them through mock bookings (IOW these are out the door prices).  An inside for a 14 day B2B is $6900 bucks.  An aft balcony for a single seven-day itinerary is an even $7K.  Which would bring me more enjoyment for the $$$$$$$ spent?

Well, that's obviously a personal call.  If it were me in an aft balcony on day six receiving that "it's time to leave us now" fake daily, I would be really pi$$ed at that guy in the mirror who just had to have his sweet nap on a lounger on an aft balcony. 😎  But, to each their own.

Well, "To each their own" Is the point! The OP said they spent much time on their balcony and you can't get much better than an aft balcony unless you move up to a suite. I too am retired and have spare time so I can plan and pay for a great cruise somewhere 2 or 3 years ahead and not pay those ridiculous prices.

The "other"  guy in the mirror may be saying to himself that he had the best, most relaxing balcony cabin they have ever had and consider the space and time they enjoyed well worth the price.

1 hour ago, candygirl27540 said:

The "other"  guy in the mirror may be saying to himself that he had the best, most relaxing balcony cabin they have ever had and consider the space and time they enjoyed well worth the price.

That's meeeee!! I went on two cruises in an aft suite in 2022. When I went to my midship suite in March I was so disappointed. I definitely felt like something had been taken from me. Alas, I still had a wonderful cruise. Just didn't enjoy the balcony near as much and certainly didn't see as many sunrises/sunsets. I'm not one to spend time in public areas (I don't like people), so that aft balcony is important. So yep, I was the guy in the mirror thanking my husband for booking me an aft room as a surprise the first time! 

OH! And about the soot. We did have soot and smoke infiltrate our balcony a few times. We just decided we wouldn't hang out on the balcony until the wind shifted. Then we had a lovely time. Aft for life! Except we book last minute, so we don't always get the room we want. 🙂 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the insight.  Sounds like I mght be trying an aft-facing balcony.  at least once.  I think a pool towel between the lounger and me may protect my clothing for any possible soot or ash.  Easy fix.  I am more and more intriged by the idea, and the view it will provide.  the additional cost is nominal at this point.  I too book as far out as possible, Not retired, just a planner, and would rather budget my cruises, as its the favorite way to travel.  DH doesnt plan past initial discussions regarding destination and timing.  So I may not tell him that we will be in that aft facing balcony until we board.  He LOVES the Glacier day cruising so this will be especially nice for him.  If we can get the kids to go with us, then we can invite them to enjoy it as well.

Again, Thank you for the help.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

Thank you all for the insight.  Sounds like I mght be trying an aft-facing balcony.  at least once.  I think a pool towel between the lounger and me may protect my clothing for any possible soot or ash.  Easy fix.  I am more and more intriged by the idea, and the view it will provide.  the additional cost is nominal at this point.  I too book as far out as possible, Not retired, just a planner, and would rather budget my cruises, as its the favorite way to travel.  DH doesnt plan past initial discussions regarding destination and timing.  So I may not tell him that we will be in that aft facing balcony until we board.  He LOVES the Glacier day cruising so this will be especially nice for him.  If we can get the kids to go with us, then we can invite them to enjoy it as well.

Again, Thank you for the help.

You will love the aft! We were lucky to get one on our first NCL Alaska cruise. Beautiful view, Glacier Bay was amazing from it, saw lots of wildlife (sea otters, puffins, orcas, and some mornings dolphins swimming in the wake), sunsets and sunrises. We got aft again for our cruise to Alaska next summer. Enjoy!

Edited by Firehunter
  • Like 1

If you are talking about the aft balconies that face the water we did it once .  It was called a suite (forget which ship) the balcony was good size and cabin was small. Yes a long walk every time you left the room. 
do not count on trying for an upgrade because those cabins sell like hot cakes. I believe there were the 4 cabins on deck 9-10 & 11. Our little group took 3 of the cabins on deck 9. The view was nice and no soot.

• 6 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:10 AM, cruiseny4life said:

That's meeeee!!. I'm not one to spend time in public areas (I don't like people), so that aft balcony is important. 

I could have written this myself and I LOL with your comment “I don’t like people”. We booked aft (first time) for upcoming Alaska cruise, as well as thermal spa and Vibe, to get away from people.  It was a compromise for the Haven was just too darn expensive and we were going with friends who were not considering haven. 

• Thanks 1