5 Ships in Costa Maya!

luv2sailAgain

1 hour ago, luv2sailAgain said:

From my research, this seems to be the case.I read that there is only room for 4 ships. If true, will one ship have to tender?

Anyone been here with 5 ships in port?

When is this? Somebody reported this before but it was outdated info. Are you sure the schedule you are looking at is up to date?

Have you checked the itinerary of each ship?

Edited by c-leg5

40 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

When is this? Somebody reported this before but it was outdated info. Are you sure the schedule you are looking at is up to date?

Have you checked the itinerary of each ship?

I would LOVE to be wrong. I hope you know something that I do not.

Edited by luv2sailAgain

31 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:

I would LOVE to be wrong. I hope you know something that I do not.

I don’t really know anything  and not sure if this helps but I see MSC missing from some  sites and doing different itinerary on some. Maybe it has been chartered? Maybe check MSC board?

They are having trouble docking and dealing with 4 ships, and there 4 big ones there! I haven’t seen them tender at Costa Maya.

Edited by c-leg5

I checked my Sept 7 date and it has the harmony , Celebration, Breeze and Seaside ( twice). It says 5 ships but it says Seaside both times, so I’m guessing the site ( whatsinport.com) meant Seaside and Seascape. Is there a beach with food and alcohol I can go away from the throngs of ppl? Looks like my typical Krazy Lobster will be too crowded. I’d hate to stay on ship but I will if I’m literally going to be rubbing elbows with everyone. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

I checked my Sept 7 date and it has the harmony , Celebration, Breeze and Seaside ( twice). It says 5 ships but it says Seaside both times, so I’m guessing the site ( whatsinport.com) meant Seaside and Seascape. Is there a beach with food and alcohol I can go away from the throngs of ppl? Looks like my typical Krazy Lobster will be too crowded. I’d hate to stay on ship but I will if I’m literally going to be rubbing elbows with everyone. 

I haven't been to Costa Maya in a long long time. We have a Chacchoben excursion booked. So, we will just jump right back on the ship as soon as it is over. I can't even imagine 4 ships there at the same time, much less 5. Oh well, I am just happy to be on a cruise.

Edited by luv2sailAgain

16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t really know anything  and not sure if this helps but I see MSC missing from some  sites and doing different itinerary on some. Maybe it has been chartered? Maybe check MSC board?

Thanks for the ideas. I posted a question on the MSC board. I also checked the MSC site. Nothing was listed between an early July short sailing and a mid July longer sailing.  So, it might in fact be chartered. I also thought that it might have a short break for maintenance or something. It could just be sold out. Ours on Allure is just about sold out.

Edited by luv2sailAgain
  • Like 1

Yeah it keeps getting worse.

We had 4 docked when we werer there this past December.

Luckily only 3 docked when we are scheduled this December.

I don't even know where they could ferry passengers into, let alone know where they could get a group of tender boats to run the service.

In previous years, 2 and 3 ships seemed to overwhelm the port.

Cruiselines are cranking out so many new ships and much larger ships, dumping more passengers per day upon ports than they can handle.

Costa Maya used to be a great port in the days when it used to be just Mahuhual, before the Costa Maya pier area (Pool, Shops, Etc.) was built and the town would only have one or two of the older smaller boats to deal with. (anyone remember the hole in the wall days on this board?)

After the pier area was built, between it and the town, they were now more equipped to handle more than 2 of the older, smaller capacity 2.000-2,5000 pax  ships.

Now that all the lines are retiring the older ships and replacing them with the 5,000+ pax megaships, but still having the same amount if not more stops at the various ports, all ports are starting to become overwhelmed. At least Costa Maya is on the mainland and can grow in time to accomodate the increasing need.

The islands are the ones with the biggest problems dealing with the increased overcrowding, as they have no more room to expand or handle the additional garbage, etc. from the crowds.

There is going to be a few years of growing pains as the ports as cruiselines figure out the problems of passenger load per day at the various ports and figure out which ports can and will expand to handle the loads and where they will have to start developing new private islands and othe port stops to alleviate overcrowding at the old ports.

Sadly the Mahahual that old cruisers got to experience in the early 2000's or before was a magical cruise day.

Today's Costa Maya cruise stop has become just another Nassau/Cozumel/St. Thomas day.

Edited by bguppies