Italy Nationwide Air Strike June 20

Fishboy1947

There is a nationwide airport services strike scheduled for June 20. Apparently baggage handlers called the strike and other air related unions joined them.

We are due to land on June 20 and am very concerned that our flight will be cancelled. But the airline indicates that they are operating normally and have not reacted to the strike call

Will the airlines wait until the last minute to cancel? Will flights continue into Italy regardless of the strike?

Yes, the airlines will wait as long as they can, hoping for a resolution of the strike.  This does happen, strikes are called and then rescinded all the time.  

If going a day earlier is possible for you, I would get on the phone with the airline and see if they will move you to a flight on June 19th.  If they won't, I would be prepared with a list of alternate flights you want if/when the flight is actually cancelled.  I would consider flights into other parts of Italy or to contiguous countries from which you can get a train into Italy.

While full flights are great for the economics of airline companies, they leave them with little flexibility when something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Afar Magazine yesterday had an article outlining strikes in multiple countries planned for this summer including Italy, LHR, Germany and possibly France. If you change your flight be sure to check that you aren’t trading problems. The actual dates were listed for LHR and Italy, but I do not have that available to post. 
‘In addition to airport strikes, the article also discussed ‘all public transportation’ strikes occurring - I am not certain if they are scheduled on the same dates. We were in Venice 3 weeks ago and there was a 24 hr transportation strike. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Afar Magazine yesterday had an article outlining strikes in multiple countries planned for this summer including Italy, LHR, Germany and possibly France.

Thank you for mentioning Afar Magazine. I have just checked them out and they provide lots of interesting discussions and useful information.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Thank you for mentioning Afar Magazine. I have just checked them out and they provide lots of interesting discussions and useful information.

You are welcome!  They are a very good publication imho. 

This strike is still on according to the Ministry of Transportation web pages.  Some reports indicated a window for flight arrivals, however, for flights arriving between 7 - 10 AM, which would include most of the direct flights from the States.  Has anyone been updated by their airline?

Edited by euro cruiser