Cruising out of Manhattan

abby1257

Good morning, I am looking at a 12 day caribbean out of Manhattan Cruise Port in March/24.  My question is this....which airport would be easiest to fly into and transportation to the cruise port., THANKS SO MUCH

Depends on if you are taking public transportation (train) or car service/uber... also day of week will matter.

If it was me and I was taking car service/uber, I think I would lean toward Newark airport.

If you wanted to stick with public transport (train) then JFK.

Another variable would be if you plan on flying in a day or so before and where you would plan to stay pre cruise.

we have a 12 nt Venezia in October, we are flying into Newark.  probably staying in NJ night before cruise.  

(my best friend relocated to NJ 30 years ago and i've never flown into either NYC airport.  my wife has, several times. on trips with her sister.) 

i must admit it doesnt sound as easy breezy, or economical, to get to port from airports as it is in FL.  

3 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Good morning, I am looking at a 12 day caribbean out of Manhattan Cruise Port in March/24.  My question is this....which airport would be easiest to fly into and transportation to the cruise port., THANKS SO MUCH

You can fly into any of the three airports. LGA is the closest and the ground transportation costs will generally be less than from EWR or JFK.

First you need to look at airfares into each of the three airports. Then flight schedules. Then factor in ground transportation costs, which can vary widely depending on airport and mode of transportation...taxi. Uber, car service, mass transit...without knowing your preferences it's impossible to make a recommendation.

Are you flying in a day or more prior to your cruise (highly recommended) or on embarkation day (risky)? If a day or more in advance, what are you [planning to do while in NY? What would your hotel budget be?

To make sensible recommendations it would be helpful for you to provide some specifics in response to the questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iria64 said:

If it was me and I was taking car service/uber, I think I would lean toward Newark airport.

Car service or Uber would be much cheaper from LGA than EWR because of tolls to cross the Hudson River from NJ to NY.

3 hours ago, iria64 said:

If you wanted to stick with public transport (train) then JFK.

There's train service from EWR as well, and also express bus service that isn't available from JFK.

• 3 weeks later...

Our flight into JFK for Sept cruise on Venezia has been changed  (thank you, AA) so we now need hotel 1 night Sep 15, cruise departs MCT Sept 16.

Since we hadn't budgeted for a hotel ($$ or time) we're looking for best options on where to stay the night of 15th then getting to MCT 16th w/luggage. Also recommendations for what to see/do Sat 15th before ship leaves and 2 weeks later after cruise before airport (JFK), 3pm flight w/luggage.

Also, will we have time to do/see anything on turnaround day Sat Sept 23?

Thanks!!

Flight lands 715pm Fri Sept 15 JFK.

After the cruise depart 3pm Sat Sept 29 JFK.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Our flight into JFK for Sept cruise on Venezia has been changed  (thank you, AA) so we now need hotel 1 night Sep 15, cruise departs MCT Sept 16.

Since we hadn't budgeted for a hotel ($$ or time) we're looking for best options on where to stay the night of 15th then getting to MCT 16th w/luggage. Also recommendations for what to see/do Sat 15th before ship leaves and 2 weeks later after cruise before airport (JFK), 3pm flight w/luggage.

Also, will we have time to do/see anything on turnaround day Sat Sept 23?

Thanks!!

Flight lands 715pm Fri Sept 15 JFK.

After the cruise depart 3pm Sat Sept 29 JFK.

You really aren’t going to have a lot of extra time, you might be checking into your hotel at 9 if you want to stay in Manhattan. You want to be heading to the airport by noon on your departure day. Maybe find a nice hotel to have breakfast at that will hold your bags, you could muck around for an hour or so.

• Thanks 1