Cruise sales

Are Black Friday sales better than other holiday sales? I'm deciding whether to wait for Black Friday or book now for a cruise in May 2024.

What are the benefits of booking a future cruise on board a current cruise?

Also, if the price drops and I rebook (before final payment date), do I lose the perks from the first booking (e.g., OBC)?

Thanks

Depends on the cruise line

some will allow you to get the cruise repriced   which may or may not  drop the perks

I would ask on the cruise line forum of your preferred line

JMO

• 2 months later...

My experience is mostly with Royal Caribbean.  I don't know that all lines are alike. 

- Black Friday sales are not a great thing right now.  We're in a seller's market, and prices are just high-higher-highest at the moment. 

- If you do find a "sale", do the math.  Buy-one-get-one-free isn't always a bargain, for example.  They may claim that the drink package is "whatever percentage off", but they'll jack up the price before they take that percentage off.  Always do the math.  

- The one universal truth is that buying "extras" ahead of time -- shore excursions, drink packages -- is always cheaper ahead of time.  

- Booking onboard will get your some OBC -- usually about $100 if you're talking a standard room for a 7-night cruise.  BUT do your homework before sailing:  take your time to choose the cruise you want and go in with an idea (or two) of what you want to book.  You can also buy a Next Cruise without a specific date.  

- If you find a price drop (again, not likely right now -- seller's market), do not cancel /rebook.  Instead, call in and ask for a price match.  Handling it this way, you will not lose your OBC.  Calling can be a hassle -- call late at night.  They're open later than you'd expect.  

- Do not wait.  Go ahead and book now, and IF you see a lower price later, call in for a price match. 

- If you're looking for the lowest price, avoid the newest, mega-ships.  Wonder, Icon and their ilk will cost considerably more than older, medium-sized ships such as Independence and Liberty.  

- Consider a "lesser" room to save money.  Now that they kids are out of the house, we're find with an Inside Guarantee, and the prices are certainly lower.