Celebrity stop in Messina. Are there tours to Palermo?

Lazz

On 9/5/2024 at 12:20 PM, MarleneMarshfield said:

I’m cruising into Messina in Oct.  do you recommend Taormina?  I would hire a driver or taxi. Our interests our mostly food, wine, small quaint towns ( with shops and cafes). What itinerary would you suggest if you were my travel agent?  We will be there on a Saturday from 8 to 6. Thanks

You will definitely not have time to do this from Messina.  Even with a private driver, if he is speed racer, at a minimum you'll be in the car for 4+ hours.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:36 PM, vwlmember said:

Was in Sicily for two weeks last month. Have been 27 times so I do know the island well. Palermo is not worth the trip unless you port there.

Taormina is incredible but can be packed this time of year.

There is also Cefalu and Tindari on the north coast. Both could be done on a 8+ hour trip.

Near Cefalu is Santo Stefano di Camastra, a town dedicated to beautiful ceramic items. At very reasonable prices. 

There is also Milazzo that is only 15-20 minutes from Messina. Great boardwalk with many restaurants and some shopping. As well as an ancient fortress open to the public and Capo di Milazzo is the point of the peninsula that has amazing views and a small church built into the cliff side, Santo Antonino. There are a few "bars" there to get a bite to eat, a Gelato or a granita. 

Montalbano Elicona is a great Baroque town with a restored castle and spectacular views as it is on a hilltop. About an hour from Messina. The ride there is fun as well. 

Basically,  there is more to see and do within 60-90 minutes from the Messina port that puts Palermo to shame. While the city does have great street food and sights, including the Monreale cathedral just outside of the city and the Cappuccini catacombs in Palermo proper,  you can get the same things (minus the catacombs) much closer. 

Feel free to PM me for more info. I love the island dearly and will be retiring there in a few years. Sharing it with others gives me pure joy as it is a paradise that is very overlooked and extremely affordable. 

We want to do a land tour of Sicily next year- thinking of a few weeks. Would love to get your insight on how to do it. How do I do a PM here on CC? I never did one. We were last in Italy about 10 years ago & absolutely loved it. Have always wanted to return & go to Sicily.  Thanks

I’m cruising into Messina in Oct.  do you recommend Taormina?  I would hire a driver or taxi. Our interests our mostly food, wine, small quaint towns (with shops and cafes). What itinerary would you suggest if you were my travel agent?  We will be there on a Saturday from 8 to 6. Thanks

FYI:  We have visited Taormina several times from the port of Messina and it IS definitely doable via a Celebrity tour or by hiring a private company.  Taormina is a beautiful town, but getting more and more crowded each year.  We have enjoyed a nice pizza and wine lunch there with waiters providing musical entertainment during our meal.  Don't forget to save room for a cannoli from one of several bakeries on the main street!  We hope you enjoy your visit.

Mike and Mary

Our last time in Messina in 2022 on the Reflection we did a private tour of Taormina in the morning and then lunch and wine tasting at the Gambino winery on the slopes of Mt Etna, one of the best winery tours we have ever done. We still buy wine from Gambino. No way you can do Palermo in one day from Messina, just too far away.

I’m cruising into Messina in Oct.  do you recommend Taormina?  I would hire a driver or taxi. Our interests our mostly food, wine, small quaint towns ( with shops and cafes). What itinerary would you suggest if you were my travel agent?  We will be there on a Saturday from 8 to 6. Thanks

Beautiful place to visit. Just get a ride to Taormina and enjoy the good life. Stunning views, nice cafes, and some ruins. It may be worthwhile to arrange your transportation back to the ship in advance.

5 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

We want to do a land tour of Sicily next year- thinking of a few weeks. Would love to get your insight on how to do it. How do I do a PM here on CC? I never did one. We were last in Italy about 10 years ago & absolutely loved it. Have always wanted to return & go to Sicily.  Thanks

Looks like they have disabled the ability to message people directly on this board. Not even sure I am allowed to post an email address for you to message me through.

2 hours ago, vwlmember said:

Looks like they have disabled the ability to message people directly on this board. Not even sure I am allowed to post an email address for you to message me through.

no restrictions on posting emails but when, I do, I post like this johndoe at Gmail dot com that keeps bots from copying the email.

Edited by terrydtx

On 9/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, catspaw1 said:

thanks Terry that's exactly the reason i didn't want to post my email. I get too much junk email as it is!

VWLmember- I post on tripadvisor under DianeER so just PM me there please.

I have tried searching on Tripadvisor and cannot find any type of messaging capability.  Just email me at urdivin at proton dot me