Extending a Future Cruise Deposit

DJ Cruisers

1 hour ago, DJ Cruisers said:

I have read the Future Cruise Deposit you buy now is only good for one year.  In the "old days" (pre Covid) I was able to extend one right before it expired.  Has anyone been able to get one extended lately?

I have not heard of any extensions, but check with your TA/CVP, as they should know if it’s possible.

The FCD’s, that you buy OB used to be good for 2 years, now it says you have 1 year to book a cruise, or it will be refunded.

Did you check on your account to see tje date it is book by or sail by?

Here’s the online link for FCD and FCC.

https://www.princess.com/plan/fcc-onboard-cruise-credits/

Terms:  FCD

Future Cruise Deposits must be booked within one year from the date of purchase or the deposit amount will be refunded to the original form of payment. Future Cruise Deposits are fully refundable prior to final payment but after final payment are subject to cancellation fees in accordance with our published cancellation terms.

Amount of onboard credit varies by cruise length to which the deposit is applied. Cruises or cruise portion of cruisetours 3-6 days: $15pp for inside/oceanview and $25pp balcony/suite; 7-10 days: $25pp for inside/oceanview and $50pp balcony/suite; 11-16 Days: $75pp for inside/oceanview and $100pp balcony/suite; 17-44 Days: $125pp for inside/oceanview and $150pp balcony/suite.

Onboard Credit not applicable to the World Cruise and World Cruise Segment Voyages or non-world cruises 45+ days in length. Instead, these cruises receive a reduced deposit of 5% of cruise fare and a 3% discount off the cruise fare.

Onboard Credit is only per person for the person using the Future Cruise Deposit; it does not carry over to any other passengers in the stateroom. (Onboard credit is only applicable to guest 1 or 2 on a booking and is not applicable to upper berth guests).

Future Cruise Deposits cannot be added to a booking after the booking has been paid in full and may not be combinable with other promotional offers.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Thanks for the replies.  They used to last for 4 yrs, then went to 2 yrs, now 1 yr.   We have taken over 70 cruises, at least half of those on Princess.  One year just isn't enough for us, we may chose another favored cruise line some years.  Just used our last one which was for 2 yrs.  Will have to buy 1 in September on board and see what happens.  Guess we won't be buying in quantity like we used to.

• Like 1

I spoke to the Future Cruise people on the Crown in May. I went and complained about the time period and they said to call before it expires and they will extend it for one additional year. 

I didn't buy any or haven't tested it but that is what the guy indicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I spoke to the Future Cruise people on the Crown in May. I went and complained about the time period and they said to call before it expires and they will extend it for one additional year. 

I didn't buy any or haven't tested it but that is what the guy indicated.

Thanks for that info.  I used to do exactly that if we had a stray one left.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:48 AM, DJ Cruisers said:

Thanks for the replies.  They used to last for 4 yrs, then went to 2 yrs, now 1 yr.   We have taken over 70 cruises, at least half of those on Princess.  One year just isn't enough for us, we may chose another favored cruise line some years.  Just used our last one which was for 2 yrs.  Will have to buy 1 in September on board and see what happens.  Guess we won't be buying in quantity like we used to.

Since the policy change, there has not been a full year pass as yet for any of the newer FCD's to come up to expiry.

I have not had a FCD expire on us before using it.  However, I have had a FCD extended that was applied on a booking I was cancelling and re-booking for a new fare promotion with savings, etc.  The trick is you have to request the extension before the old booking is cancelled or the now-expired FCD will be refunded to the original credit card that paid for it and the FCD is lost for the new replacement booking. 

Actually, I will correct that.  I am pretty sure we had a couple of FCD's extended during Covid pause when booked voyage(s) were cancelled.  But that was an exceptional situation.

I imagine a lot of guests are going to be asking for the 1-year extensions.  It seems rather arbitrary to have done it.  

We last purchased FCD's in Nov 2022, so no worries until Nov 2024.

15 hours ago, 808cruisers said:

So I booked 7-10 days: $25pp for inside,  do you think if I  upgrade after the fact, can I still get the $50pp balcony/suite?

Sorry...I don't understand what this has to do with FCDs.  Wrong thread, maybe?

20 hours ago, 808cruisers said:

So I booked 7-10 days: $25pp for inside,  do you think if I  upgrade after the fact, can I still get the $50pp balcony/suite?

To answer your question, normally , yes if you pay to upgrade or Princess changes ships to higher category, you will receive the corresponding OBC for that FCD used. I was originally on Emerald in Oceanview for Transpacific and ship was changed to Majestic which does not Ocenview so Princess upgraded us to Balcony and our FCD OBC was increased to the Balcony amount.