In New York for @12 hours what to do, never been.

blueyes34

My husband and I will be in New York for the very first time, will be flying into JFK and would like to see Manhattan. What is the best way to get to Manhattan from the airport and how long will it take also what is the cost in getting there. What are the highlights if you could only spend 12 hours. We need all the advise we can get. What will the weather be like in May?:confused: :confused:

12 hours isn't that long in Manhatten. The answers about what to do will depend on the time of day & how much stuff you will have with you.

It takes anywhere from 40 minutes to two hours to get from JFK to midtown depending on traffic & the time of day. By cab it will cost around $45 plus tip if memory serves.

For an overall view of the city in a limited time think about taking one of the double decker tour buses. You'll at least get to see a lot. You should probably stop to get a bite to eat or a drink. Think of some place famous you've heard of in NY & go there. Forget about what the "natives" tell you is the most fabulous place of the moment -- nobody back home ever heard of it. :rolleyes: If you have time take a stroll along 5th Avenue in the 50's. Can you fit in a broadway show? You may want to go to the top of the Empire State building. Some people are drawn to Ground Zero. The South Street Seaport is interesting, as is Chinatown & Little Italy. If you are on a budget, these neighbors offer great deals on food.

Enjoy.

We too are visiting New York later in the year and are thinking about one of the double decker buses, but do they get snarled up in a lot of traffic or are they pretty free moving - they do seem like a really good way to see all the touristy things in a limited time.

kittycat, what is your deal? Are you flying in and cruising out?

If so, hop in a cab and tell the driver to head to one of the biggest hotels in Times Square, the Marriott Marquis and check your luggage with the bellman. If they ask, tell them yes, you are checking in later. You'll need to tip $1-$2 per bag and more if they are heavy.

Then, I'd spend a few minutes walking around Times Square, then walk across 42nd Street to head over to Grand Central Terminal. Go through Grand Central and check out the Beaux Arts beauty. Don't miss the constellations on the ceiling. From there, walk up Fifth Avenue towards Central Park. Stop at Rockefeller Center and check out the largest Urban Industrial Park in the US. It is a limestone Art Deco monument. If you are early enough, hang out at The Today Show and try and get on TV.

From there walk back over the Fifth Avenue, cross the street and go into St. Patrick's Cathedral. Be quiet as mass may be in progress. It is a breathtaking cathedral.

From there, walk up to Central Park and walk across Central Park South. You can catch a little bit of what makes Central Park so spectacular from here. Don't miss the Plaza Hotel! Under renovations but it is still a gem!

Walk back down Seventh Avenue towards Times Square stopping at Pick-A-Bagel on the corner of West 57th and Seventh Avenue for the best bagels and baked goods (buy B&W's here!) in Midtown.

From there, walk down to the Marriott Marquis, pick up your luggage (this is when you tip), get in the taxi line, and get a cab to the pier. By this time I'm sure it will be time to get on the ship!

From there, walk down to the Marriott Marquis, pick up your luggage (this is when you tip), get in the taxi line, and get a cab to the pier. By this time I'm sure it will be time to get on the ship!

As a relatively frequent MM guest, I'd recommend allowing some time to pick up your luggage; there are times I've waited 10-15 minutes for my bags. They also will expect a tip at both dropoff and pickup.

Thanks for the ideas and the tips about the luggage. Think we might leave luggage at JFK so we don't have to lug them around. Anyone have info on riding the subway from JFK to Manhattan? Can it be done, Cost, Time it might take, and whether it is safe to do? Would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks

Thanks for the ideas and the tips about the luggage. Think we might leave luggage at JFK so we don't have to lug them around. Anyone have info on riding the subway from JFK to Manhattan? Can it be done, Cost, Time it might take, and whether it is safe to do? Would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks

You can't leave your luggage at JFK unless you are checking it for a flight and I think they have the three hour rule. You cannot check luggage outside three hours of your flight.

To ride the subway from JFK to Manhattan, plan on two hours each way. You can do it in an hour but plan for longer.

According to the directions I saw in the subway on Wednesday, you take the Queens-bound E train to Sutphin Boulevard and change to the Airtrain. A map is available online at http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm. The subway itself is $2.00 per person; not sure about Airtrain. Generally, I don't recommend taking lots of luggage aboard the subway; even though I prefer the subway to a cab when in the city, I opt for the cab when I have luggage with me.

Blue Herons,

Great advice!

Will also add, that if hungry, there are lots of places to eat in Grand Central. There's a food court downstairs. Have a sandwich and a slice of the famous Junior's Cheesecake - that'll solve the "eating at a famous place" that trish1 mentioned.

Jane

Airtrain is a $5 dollar trip and i would not recommend for subway Newbies. Its hard enough for NYC natives to get around, espeically if its a weekend when they are working on the lines. For the time and hassle just take the cab and pay the $$$.

Sailing away from NYC is the greatest sight! You did'nt mention what ship your leaving on.... My guess its one of the NCL ships. The Dawn , Spirit, or Crown. My tip: Everyone is going to be in the front of the ship durning the sail away party....go to the back of the ship... thats where the view is (and no plastic wind breakers to cut off your view)!

As far as seeing NYC.... 12hrs is not enough time! I bet after 12 hours you'll want to come back to NYC for a week. My favorite part of New York is all the meseums but with 12 hours you probally want to walk around a bit. BlueHerons gave a great tour suggestion...although long and a LOT of walking :)

We actually are leaving on a flight to San Juan to catch the RCCL Grandeur and had a layover at JFK and thought we might do some sight seeing while there. We were trying to see what to do about the luggage between flights and didn't want to lug it all to Manhattan if we don't have to. Still trying to figure that one out. They tell me that we can get a locker at the airport but if the terror level is up, we aren't going to be allowed to use them. Thanks for the great suggestions keep them coming.

We actually are leaving on a flight to San Juan to catch the RCCL Grandeur and had a layover at JFK and thought we might do some sight seeing while there. We were trying to see what to do about the luggage between flights and didn't want to lug it all to Manhattan if we don't have to. Still trying to figure that one out. They tell me that we can get a locker at the airport but if the terror level is up, we aren't going to be allowed to use them. Thanks for the great suggestions keep them coming.

I don't remember lockers at JFK and the ones at Grand Central and Penn Station were removed post 9/11. Can you check your luggage all the way through? If not, you are going to be stuck schlepping it to NYC.

You may want to consider a day room at one of the JFK hotels. Depending upon traffic, day of the week, and weather, 12 hours may not be enough time.

• 7 months later...

There are tons more, and there is some Christmas related info thrown in, probably more stuff that interests dh and I, but there just might be something here for you. Also if you have more than 12 hours ;)

Times Square- (Broadway & 46th & 47th Sts and more)

Besides just walking around and taking in the sights and sounds, I love to go into the Virgin Atlantic MEGA store

For Broadway show tickets, if you do not have them before you get to the city go to TKTS AT Times Square http://www.tdf.org/

Rockefeller Center (5th between 49th & 50th Sts) http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html

Ice Skating http://rapatina.com/iceRink/

Christmas Tree

Walk 5th Ave

Museum Mile & Millionaire's Row- Early 20th century many mansions built there as the richest New Yorkers moved their residences north to face Central Park. Earlier, several opulent Vanderbilt houses and other mansions were built in the 50s and in even earlier times further south

Metropolitan Museum of Art (53rd St, between 5th & 6th Aves)

Guggenheim Museum (5th Ave, at 89th St)

Central Park

Between 34th St & 60th St (lots of luxury retail)

Empire State Building (350 Fifth Ave, at 34th St)

Walk the Christmas Windows see this map http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/l/bl_xmaswindows.htm

F.A.O. Schwarz on 58th St.

Tiffany & Co. (57th St,)

Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, Gap flagship stores

Apple Computer's 32-foot glass cube (Between East 58th and East 59th St) entrance to Apple's completely underground flagship retail store

New York Public Library (42nd St)

St. Patrick's Cathedral (Madison Ave between 5th & Madison) real close to Rockefeller Center

Macy's way down at 34th St. could be a stop on the way to the Financial District

Financial District

Ground Zero

Trinity Church (resting place of Alexander Hamilton) present building built 1846 (church chartered late 17th century)

St. Paul's Chapel (Church St. between Fulton & Vesey Sts., opposite the east side of the World Trade Center) Manhattan's oldest public building in continuous use. Located directly across from the World Trade Center site- was home to the volunteer relief effort after 9-11, now displaying "Unwavering Spirit", http://www.saintpaulschapel.org/ an interactive exhibit, honoring the legacy of love and compassion for 9-11.

Federal Hall (Broad & Wall Sts) http://www.nps.gov/feha/

New York Stock Exchange (Broad St)

Our two favorite restaurants:

Celebrity Deli- located at the Milford Plaza Hotel ("the Lullaby of Broadway") at 270 W. 45th Street with their own street front entrance- "typical" NY deli with HUGE portions

Carmine's- southern Italian, family style, have a big breakfast that day, skip lunch and do an early dinner before they get too crowded

2 Locations

Theater district- 200 W. 44th St

Upper West Side- 2450 Broadway

Other stuff...

South St Seaport

Walk around Little Italy Chinatown, Tribeca

If the weather cooperates and it is not too cold

http://www.nps.gov/stli/ Statue of Liberty National Monument

http://www.nps.gov/elis/ Ellis Island National Monument

Maybe too late, but if you like him, could always try to get tickets to "Late Show with David Letterman". Jerry and I did it once and it was a lot of fun, just make sure you wear a very heavy sweater, they keep the theater really really cold like below 60 degrees? 'cause that is how Dave wants it. Can't get tickets to a show, you can always stop by and see his neighbor Rupert.

good advise from all....

yes, a cab is Flat $45 from Kennedy...

Arubalisa... the only thing... Carmines... great food, but near impossible to get in, unless you plan on waiting for 2 hours.... especially during holiday season... it's relatively close to all the shows... so EVERYONE wants to eat there (and they don't accept reservations).

Theatre district is a zoo during the holidays... so be prepared.

Saks 5th Avenue has one of the best holiday displays... outside, and inside...

You need to determine IF YOUR bags are going to be checked through??? I would call the airline direct and inquire. There are no lockers at JFK, but there is baggage storage- http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jsbsfram.htm

I take the subway all the time including Airtrain. It would be $12 round trip per person. But take the Howard Beach A train to 42nd- Port Authority, then shuttle to Grand Central, fewer stairs. Allow an hour station to station, not including waits.

also Macy's at 34th street and Broadway(if you go the mezzanien and show an out of state driver's license they will give you a pass with a 13% discount)...

I would take a cab---you have limited time and the subway can be a bear as well. For getting around in Manhattan the subway is the fastest way.

Just a suggestion. I recently went to NYC for the first time for a day trip. Flew in in the a.m. and left in the evening. I can't give you any suggestions when to do with your luggage, but this is what we did.

We arrived at the airport and had set up transportation with usa-nyc Link at 347-538-6851. They picked us up in a brand new towncar and took us to Times Square and dropped us off. We then had a tour scheduled with Newyorkpartyshuttle.com for, I think, a 5 hour tour. It was great. We saw a little bit of everything, the whole tour was narrated and we even walked around a little and they led the way. It was an awesome tour and only had about 25 people on the small bus. You could easily do that and then go to Little Italy/China town (the shuttle driver told us how to get there on the subway - which was a breeze!) and had dinner and walked around. The same transporation company picked us up and took us back to the airport. It was a great day. And it was all very affordable.

But like I said.... what you do with your luggage... I don't know!

Fot what it is worth, we thought the New York Party Shuttle was much better than the double decker bus tours. Much small, less people, very personalized, free pop and water and we went on the Ferry around the Statute of Liberty. It was just so perfect for a one day trip and got to see a little bit of everything. Check it out!

I took a shuttle from the airport to Manahatten. I think it was around $25.00 SuperShuttles, maybe. I can't remember.

The subway is the best way to get around, but since you won't have time to figure it out, a taxi might be easier but more expensive.

For luggage. Sometimes hotels will let you put your bags in their storage area for a small fee. You might check and see. If not, one of the hotels near the airport might have a day rate or if you use the spa they might allow you to leave your bags.

Things I enjoyed:

Eating in Little Italy. Yum!!

Seeing Time Square - its a lot to take in and is kinda overstimulating, but fun to see atleast once in your life.

Central Park - almost like a different world!

Grand Central Station - the main part is very pretty.

Ground Zero perhaps? And then the chapels nearby.

I think wandering through Times Square is a must-do. A lot of sights are within walking distance, if you don't mind walking--5th Ave., Broadway, Rockefellar Center, Radio City Music Hall, St. Patricks Cathedral and Cathedral of Saint John the Devine, etc.; I even walked up to the Natural History Museum/Hayden Planetarium then through Central Park. But the subways are quick and convenient to get up and down Manhattan. The World Trade Center site is right across from a subway stop at the bottom of the island.

Can you switch your flight and go in a day( or two) early????

It would be worth the extra to change.

NYC is fabulous...but you need some time.

We cruised in early May and the weather was lovely( long sleeve t-shirt) and the buds were out on the trees !!

We recently did newyorkpartyshuttle and I would definitely recommend it.

Sharon

IF OP is flying from with in the states the luggage will be checked through. If they are coming from outside the country, they will have to go through customs with it. They might be able to re check it though once that is done.

Has anyone recently tried to check luggage with a bellman at a hotel you weren't staying? Do they check if you are on the list? I am totally willing to give a nice tip, just want to be sure it is okay (meaning they won't get irate when I come back to pick up the luggage later in the day) Any suggestions/experience/encouragement? Jan

Archived