After Final Payment....Buying an Stateroom Upgrade & BOGO Airfare

hernando52

We are past final payment and an invitation to bid for an upgrade has been sent out.  I would really like to pay for a room upgrade rather than bid, which I have done in the past.  This cruise is different for us though as it involves BOGO airfare.  If I win a bid (highly unlikely) I think the BOGO offer remains the same as it is now, but what if I buy a stateroom upgrade from a balcony to a club balcony?  Does the BOGO airfare amount stay the same, or will it be changed to today's going rate?  Our current BOGO offer is $850 RT for two to Europe which is an offer I do not want to have changed.  Has anyone done a stateroom upgrade and not had the BOGO amount changed?  Thanks in advance for your input............

Following as I have a similar situation, although not past final payment yet. My state room price went down but airfare went up.  According to my PCC, I'd lose the lower airfare, plus the onboard upgrade that I have if I make changes now. Not too worried about the loss of the upgrade because I'll probably be using CC points to upgrade anyway but would obviously like the lower fare.

I don't think anything else changed on my reservation when I've done an upgrade after FP but then again it's been awhile and I don't think there was anything that would have been different anyway.

I'm wondering if I can wait and then request FCC for the price drop right after final payment.

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

We are past final payment and an invitation to bid for an upgrade has been sent out.  I would really like to pay for a room upgrade rather than bid, which I have done in the past.  This cruise is different for us though as it involves BOGO airfare.  If I win a bid (highly unlikely) I think the BOGO offer remains the same as it is now, but what if I buy a stateroom upgrade from a balcony to a club balcony?  Does the BOGO airfare amount stay the same, or will it be changed to today's going rate?  Our current BOGO offer is $850 RT for two to Europe which is an offer I do not want to have changed.  Has anyone done a stateroom upgrade and not had the BOGO amount changed?  Thanks in advance for your input............

Why not call NCL and ask them?

1 hour ago, hernando52 said:

If you are past final payment, but still more than 75 days out, you are allowed to change your BOGO selection up to 75 days (ie: you can deviate or even cancel the air promo) 

As such, outside of 75 days, you can most certainly call and upgrade your cabin for the higher fare.  You will however, be subject to all the new programs/promotions, that includes the new BOGO air rate.

Once inside 75 days, you cannot alter your airfare selection, per the Terms and conditions. In fact, at that point they often do not offer BOGO air on new bookings.   I do not know if that inhibits your ability to do a cabin change at that point by calling up and asking for a more expensive cabin.

The best way of finding out what your cost for changing would be is to simply call NCL and ask.  

I can confirm that if you win and upgrade, it will not happen until long after you have received your air confirmation.  Upgrade bidding has zero effect on your air.   We have had this happen with a winning bid in the past.  Air is unaffected at that point.

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why not call NCL and ask them?

Because sadly there is a good chance that the rep will not know for certain and if they botch the upgrade/airfare it's hard to go back.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Because sadly there is a good chance that the rep will not know for certain and if they botch the upgrade/airfare it's hard to go back.

Perhaps, but the point is, sooner or later you have to contact NCL.  Telling them 'but I was told xyz on cruise critic' won't matter.  

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perhaps, but the point is, sooner or later you have to contact NCL.  Telling them 'but I was told xyz on cruise critic' won't matter.  

I agree.  But being forewarned about potential issues helps.  It's amazing how many times I've been told something isn't possible and had to let the person know that it actually was possible, and if they didn't know how to do it, please get a supervisor. So getting responses from people with actual experience can be helpful IMHO.

But one does have to weigh the information they get on CC- sometimes rules change so how things were 10 years ago- or even last year - isn't always relevant.

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That is what I am afraid of...if I can't keep the current BOGO rate that I have, then I won't be upgrading  the stateroom via purchase

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

I agree.  But being forewarned about potential issues helps.  It's amazing how many times I've been told something isn't possible and had to let the person know that it actually was possible, and if they didn't know how to do it, please get a supervisor. So getting responses from people with actual experience can be helpful IMHO.

But one does have to weigh the information they get on CC- sometimes rules change so how things were 10 years ago- or even last year - isn't always relevant.

Exactly.  Plus, often the person isn't even in the same country as the person needing the information.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

If you are past final payment, but still more than 75 days out, you are allowed to change your BOGO selection up to 75 days (ie: you can deviate or even cancel the air promo) 

As such, outside of 75 days, you can most certainly call and upgrade your cabin for the higher fare.  You will however, be subject to all the new programs/promotions, that includes the new BOGO air rate.

Not entirely true.  The time frame for adding/deleting the air promo was recently changed to 110 days.  Deviation requests are still 75 days.

Just now, hernando52 said:

That is what I am afraid of...if I can't keep the current BOGO rate that I have, then I won't be upgrading  the stateroom via purchase

If they tell you that  you can't keep the upgrade, wait awhile and call back.  

Talked to my PCC this morning and I would be penalized too much BOGO airfare-wise if I upgraded.  I'll wait for the bidding process to play out (I have never had good luck with this) and see what happens.  Things could certainly be worse than staying in our balcony room!  Thanks for the responses.