Drinks Package Query

Riggy84

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies from a cruising newbie. At the risk of being a pain, I have another question. We're not sailing till march 2025. Does the drinks package price increase each year? Was wondering if it's worth locking it in by purchasing now. 

Cunard doesn't seem to have an annual inflation round, but every so often things can and do go up in price. That's pure crystal ball stuff. I note in the Q2 interim report yesterday from Carnival that their on-board revenue - which this would fall into - has risen particularly strongly so they don't seem to have a problem with the margin, they just need more total passengers to generate the cash.

One feature though is that Cunard is on a USA dollar economy. So exchange rates may more move than inflation, plus inflation in the dollar zone is less than half that of the UK.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:20 AM, Host Hattie said:

Which package are you trying to buy for yourself? The rules are different for each package, for instance for the Soft Drinks package -

• The Soft Drinks Option is charged per person, per day. 
  • Each guest assigned to the same stateroom, with the exception of infants aged 3 years and under, must purchase the same Drinks Option. Sharing is not permitted.

Despite the terms it doesn’t allow me to purchase the soft drinks package for just me and my husband. I also have to purchase one for my infant which just makes no sense at all. Need to contact Cunard to see if there is a work around pre cruise.

If the original poster can also let me know how they get on with speaking to Cunard or their travel agent pre cruise and also once onboard that would be great as I cruise in Dec.

Thank you,

Charmaine

1 hour ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Can someone flesh out what specialty coffee includes? Is it what is served at Sir Samuels, like lattes and whatnot or something else entirely?

I believe it includes the Illy Creations listed here:

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/drinks-packages/Queen Elizabeth Cafe Carinthia.pdf

I only drink strong Americanos with a high caffeine content so wouldn't be tempted by the decadent sounding drinks with milk and cream spoiling my coffee.

My wife drinks English Breakfast Tea and Hot Chocolate. She liked the Tea Forté version but thought the free Twinings version just as good.

Regarding Hot Chocolate; Carinthia serve a version in a pot with marshmallows, which looks good. But she thought the simple cup served in Chart Room, presumably made with Godiva Chocolate tasted far superior. Both were served within the full drinks package. I don't know if that applies to the Hot Drinks package as well.

4 hours ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Can someone flesh out what specialty coffee includes? Is it what is served at Sir Samuels, like lattes and whatnot or something else entirely?

Cunard has this deal with Illy and its machines are on all 3 vessels in the larger indoor bars. For QM2 and QE the Carinthia menu kindly linked above by @D&N is available in Carinthias but there isn't such a place in QV unfortunately. I wish they did something in the area of the photo gallery, or have some location more suitable for those who are less interested in alcohol. So that's the extended items such as Macchiato Caldo and Freddo, which are not available in all locations.

For QV and the other locations in QM2 and QE then the core Illy menu is

Americano
Cappuccino
Espresso
Double Espresso
Latte
Flat White

It's Nescafé Original in the staterooms (as a minimum) and unbranded coffee in Lido and the main restaurants.

Now I think Cunard has missed a trick here: Illy isn't a bad brand by any means but it's heavily tied into their core highly standardised global product and the linked machinery. Carinthia has staff trained in the extended list there, but still, it's quite restricted. If I was in charge, Cunard would link in with a UK based coffee roaster such as Union, create their own Cunard blend, perhaps reflecting Cunard's ports of call, and offer a much wider range of coffees styles - drip, cafetière/French press, aeropress, pour over - different coffee beans, with attractive and relaxing seating of the sort now present on any High Street. Given the Quaker background of the Cunard family this would seem to make perfect sense, including financial sense!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charmaineluvsu said:

Despite the terms it doesn’t allow me to purchase the soft drinks package for just me and my husband. I also have to purchase one for my infant which just makes no sense at all. Need to contact Cunard to see if there is a work around pre cruise.

If the original poster can also let me know how they get on with speaking to Cunard or their travel agent pre cruise and also once onboard that would be great as I cruise in Dec.

Thank you,

Charmaine

I thought I already replied to this but I can’t see it… 🙄

My TA replied and advised me to buy the package once onboard so will have to just forget about the extra charge to not pay in advance!

12 hours ago, Charmaineluvsu said:

It’s a shame they can’t just figure out a small error in the system instead of doing the work around 🙄

yeah it’s really bad that we get penalised for them having a crappy system and have to pay more on the day 

Just to update you I received the response from Cunard- at least there is a ‘work around’ however long winded it is. 🙄

Thank you for your email. I am pleased to hear you are joining us on board Queen Victoria for your 12 night holiday. 

I've had a look on your My Cunard and can see that the Soft Drinks option automatically pulls through for Sebastian. Unfortunately, we are unable to alter this. We advise that in order to secure your drinks packages as this price, please purchase them on My Cunard prior to embarkation and then request a refund for Sebastian's package once on board. Whilst we appreciate this is a lengthy process, My Cunard is unable to make acceptions for guests regardless of age and automatically adds the package on for all guests in the room. There is more leeway once your are on board however, if you were to purchase the drinks package on board it would cost $12 pp per day as opposed to the $10 being offered prior to embarkation.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board Queen Victoria. 

Kind regards,

Amelia
Guest Support