OK...true or false???

MamaParrotHead

I've gone through with 200 speed 35mm film and it didn't do anything, but when I went through with 400 speed and higher, it ruined the pictures. It was the same for my cousin's disposible camera film. All the pics came out with a green tinge and the developer said it was from the xray machine.

I carry my film in my carry on and have them hand check the high speed underwater cameras. Going through x-ray once probably won't hurt, but going through several times (Couple times at the airport and maybe once at the port) CAN definitely harm the film. It can make it cloudy.

The x-ray machines for carry on baggage usually do not bother normal consumer speed films (though repeated exposures can cause fogging) but the high power x-ray machines for CHECKED BAGGAGE can definitely damage your film. Always take your film as carry-on and if you are concerned ask to have it hand inspected.

One note on digital camera storage media, remember that the metal detector archway you walk through generates a magnetic field. Carrying the flash memory storage card from your camera or floppy computer disks through with you can damage the data that's on them. They need to go through the x-ray machine.

xray damage (carry on luggage) is accumulative.

Remember, you will be going through the xray machine every time you enter the ship. (embarkation & after being in ports)

You can ask for your film to be hand inspected.

They do not like to do this...and they will try their very best to discourage this.

Be perisistent.....they will do it.

This applies to the airport and the ship.

Nobody has ever seemed to mind hand-checking my cameras. I ask every time I know there's an x-ray to go through. I keep all my cameras - 35mm, digital, extra film, and camcorder - in one of the X-large Ziplok bags. I've been doing this for years, and everybody has seemed happy to oblige.:)

does the xray/security machines at the airport screw with your film? I have a digital, but carry a disposable and a few underwater cameras at cruise time. Thanks!

The underwater disposable cameras frequently have 800 or 400 ISO film. (I'm old enough to want to call that ASA) I have them hand inspected. I check all the digital cameras and memory in my carry-on and it goes in the machine.

Works for me...

yes, it will damage film..

most airport security has no problem handchecking. On our Carnival trip the cruise shio guy gave me a really hard time about it and told me i'd have to wait an hour or 2 before the one guy who could hand check it would be available (and maybe not even then). took a chance, sent it through, spent the whole trip worrying about it. phots were ok (this time - my Olympic photos were ruined though)

I didn't read all the posts but the carry on xray machine will NOT ruin your film, the checked baggage xray WILL RUIN your film. Keep it all in your carry on and no prob. Digital, well your not going to put those in your checked bags anyways and like I said, it won't hurt it a bit.

On cruise two, before digital cameras, a couple we met had all of their films developed in Curacao because they thought it would be ruined. They paid an arm & a leg, his arm her leg. Darn this made me very nervous, I had 10 rolls to be developed, and I bought prepaid developing film. Absolutely no problem pics turned out great. Just keep it in your carry on.

Do NOT put any film-- digital or other in your checked luggage.

(depending on the airport for hand checking.) They will not do it in PHL which is a huge airport and there are signs telling us that.

We use both digital and film cameras. I use a Film Shield bag for my film. It always gets pulled by security to check it, but at least I know that the film is safe. Once again, carry film in your carry-on bag.

When we cruised Alaska, I had my pictures developed in Juneau. I didn't want to take any chance of losing the precious photos. Yes, it's more expensive, but was worth it to me.

does the xray/security machines at the airport screw with your film? I have a digital, but carry a disposable and a few underwater cameras at cruise time. Thanks!

The answer is, as it so often seems to be, it depends. Carry on xrays are typically lower intensity and less likely to damage film and in most cases, the same is true of any xray equipment your luggage will be subjected to. However, at times security is tightened and the intensity of the units will be set high enough, even on carry on baggage, to damage film. The real problem is, it's not always evident when security may be at a heightened level. Sometimes it's due to a scheduled security audit and not in response to real or perceived security threats. Best precaution is to use film shield bags.

http://*****.com/2u3se is the link to the TSA page that talks about what airport x-ray machines will do to your film. Basically like several other people have said, keep unexposed film in your carry on, and higher than ISO 800 should be hand checked, but there are other precautions listed as well.

Hope this helps.

For about a year now, the check-in people at our airport have always asked us if we have film in our checked bags - we don't - but I think it is great that they ask. And they do have have big signs up indicating that the x-ray machines may damage film in checked luggage.

We always leave our digital camera in our carry-ons.

Here's what they had to say about it,

"Tips for Flying With Film

As a service to our film users, Fujifilm is sharing the following advisory issued by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration. This information is excerpted from their web site.

WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

You should remove all undeveloped film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage.

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher

Highly sensitive X-ray or scientific films

Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)

Film that is or will be underexposed

Film that you intend to "push process"

Sheet film

Large format film

Medical film

Scientific film

Motion picture film

Professional grade film

You may request a hand-inspection of any undeveloped film.

The X-ray machine at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800. However, multiple X-ray inspections (more than 5 times) of the same roll of undeveloped film may cause damage.

The machines used to screen your checked baggage or carry-on baggage will not affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, photo compact discs, or picture discs.

Other Precautions

If you plan to request a hand inspection of your film, you should consider carrying your film in clear canisters, or taking the film out of solid colored canisters and putting it into clear plastic bags, to expedite the screening process.

If you are going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations with the same rolls of undeveloped film, you may want to request a hand-inspection of your film. However, non-U.S. airports may not honor this request.

If you plan to hand-carry undeveloped film on an airplane at an international airport, contact the airport security office at that airport to request a manual inspection.

We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you can request a hand inspection.

You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign airports."

Photography teacher here . . . yes, x-ray equipment will probably screw up your film (exposed or unexposed). You might get lucky and be unaffected, or you might lose only half your pictures -- it's very random.

The problem will be more pronounced with higher-speed films such as the 800-speed that tends to be used in disposable cameras (a lower speed would actually be better for bright sunlight, but people seem to think that a higher speed is "better" for all circumstances, so film companies make what people will buy).

Solutions:

Buy a lead-lined bag from the camera store to protect your film from the x-ray; these cost $20-30, depending upon the size bag, but they're reusable forever.

When you approach security, take your film out and ask for it to be hand checked. They are used to this request.

Buy your disposable cameras onboard (and have them processed onboard too).

This won't work on a cruise, but maybe you'll use it sometime for a land-based vacation: Mail your disposable cameras to yourself at your resort. Mark the package "Hold for arrival on _____ date".

Archived