Alaska - Excursion Availability (for late booking)?

homeofthehound

Hi! We are fortunate to be able to take a last minute cruise in August. We were looking at Alaska and comparing between Princess (Majestic or Sapphire) and another cruise line. Knowing that we are very late for booking, only 7-8 weeks out, I am wondering if there is any way to tell how sold out the excursions are? I can't think of a way to do this without having a confirmed booking number but it has been a few years since I have done this - am I forgetting a method?

If it will be a struggle to get excursions then we would likely change our destination (for context we usually aim for mid-l strenuous level activity, mid-priced excursions) as I would hate to book a wonderful trip and then be disappointed with excursion availability. Would appreciate any suggestions 🙂

Have you checked the independent vendors?  In Alaska everything was close, so this was really easy to do. I called Temsco (they are the subcontractor for the ship helicopter to glaciers excursions) before booking my last minute Alaska cruise to confirm availability, and they helpfully told me it would be no problem (I sailed in the shoulder season, late may/early june though).  Maybe contact private vendors now if you are worried.  The alaska board or we can help you find them if you don't know who can duplicate the ship tours.  If it absolutely has to be through princess, maybe check your roll call and see if someone already booked can search for you if there are a couple of tours you have your heart set on, or call princess directly to ask them.  You can't book but they should be able to search at least.

Edited by kitkat343

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

Have you checked the independent vendors?  In Alaska everything was close, so this was really easy to do. I called Temsco (they are the subcontractor for the ship helicopter to glaciers excursions) before booking my last minute Alaska cruise to confirm availability, and they helpfully told me it would be no problem (I sailed in the shoulder season, late may/early june though).  Maybe contact private vendors now if you are worried.  The alaska board or we can help you find them if you don't know who can duplicate the ship tours.  If it absolutely has to be through princess, maybe check your roll call and see if someone already booked can search for you if there are a couple of tours you have your heart set on, or call princess directly to ask them.  You can't book but they should be able to search at least.

Excellent thank you so much for the ideas!! 😃

Agree on there being many third party excursion operators in Alaska. 

I've found that rarely is an excursion sold out completely until on board.  If you go to the Shore Excursions desk as soon as you board, there are usually still slots available.  All of the inventory isn't released for pre-cruise booking. I've also found that if you end up waitlisted pre-cruise, it's worth while to follow up at the Shore Excursions desk and see if you can be squeezed in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

We had an amazing helicopter/dogsledding tour on the glacier with Temsco in 2017, highly recommend them :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, homeofthehound said:

Excellent thank you so much for the ideas!! 😃

We deliberately booked all private vendors for Alaska, and found it to be one of the easier cruises to do so since most things are close.  The 10% discount added up to a lot given the prices of the excursions (it might be less of a discount now though I'm not sure)  In addition to Temsco which did an amazing job letting us go on a dogsled on top of  a glacier, I'd also recommend booking the Bering Sea crab fisherman's tour.  But don't worry - the Alaska board will be able to help you if you post your itinerary there.

Edited by kitkat343

31 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

We deliberately booked all private vendors for Alaska, and found it to be one of the easier cruises to do so since most things are close.  The 10% discount added up to a lot given the prices of the excursions (it might be less of a discount now though I'm not sure)  In addition to Temsco which did an amazing job letting us go on a dogsled on top of  a glacier, I'd also recommend booking the Bering Sea crab fisherman's tour.  But don't worry - the Alaska board will be able to help you if you post your itinerary there.

Thank you!! Will definitely look into Temsco!! Dogsleds on a glacier would be amazing!

21 minutes ago, homeofthehound said:

Thank you!! Will definitely look into Temsco!! Dogsleds on a glacier would be amazing!

Dog sledding on glaciers usually end in August (when snow is gone). Date can vary from year to year. Not sure when you are looking at date wise but I would have a backup plan.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Dog sledding on glaciers usually end in August (when snow is gone). Date can vary from year to year. Not sure when you are looking at date wise but I would have a backup plan.

Sorry - I sailed in late may/early june so didn't know.  But the temsco people were really helpful when I called them - they told me to book in skagway, not juneau because the weather is better then.  So I'd call them directly and ask.  the alaska forum might also have alternatives.  I know there are other places you can visit dogs that are a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Sorry - I sailed in late may/early june so didn't know.  But the temsco people were really helpful when I called them - they told me to book in skagway, not juneau because the weather is better then.  So I'd call them directly and ask.  the alaska forum might also have alternatives.  I know there are other places you can visit dogs that are a lot cheaper.

May and June are great for glacier landing and dog sledding 🙂 And it is ranked as one of the best excursions!

There is a date come mid-August where the snow is gone and they have to shut down. The date changes every year. So even people who schedule with the cruise line at the end of August - it will let them book it but it will be cancelled. There are other flight options that people rave about. 

I just wanted to give the OP a heads up on dog sledding on glaciers in August.

Edited by Coral

12 hours ago, Coral said:

Oh good call.  My brain fuzzed out on me that this would be an August sailing and the snow just isn't there for it anymore.  Sorry OP!