(June 18, 2023) Have you been to Pompeii recently? Backpack question

Lalof

I know different people can have different experiences.  I have seen information online indicating you are not allowed to bring a backpack into Pompeii and also there are no lockers or valet-type holding area to drop your backpack.  I have also seen information saying you can bring in a backpack-- though it didn't specify if there was some type of size-limit.  And.... I have seen that you cannot bring in a backpack but there are lockers available to leave your backpack.  Very confusing.  I have a camera bag back pack that I would love to bring in just so I don't have to carry the camera around my neck. But, I do want to be respectful of whatever the rules are there.   Thanks

On the official website for the archaeological site of Pompeii there is a list of the rules for entry. This is #13:

Large backpacks, umbrellas, luggage or bags (cm 30x30x15) and other bulky items are not allowed and must be left at the cloakroom (the service is free of charge).

http://pompeiisites.org/en/visiting-info/regulations-for-visitors/

I assume this means any bag more than 30x30x15 is not allowed. Of course they aren't going to drop everything into a "sizer", but there are security checks now where bags are searched so perhaps it is more likely than ever that any oversized bag will be noted and the owner asked to leave it.

A reminder to all visitors of archaeological sites:

As someone passionate about archaeology, I would just remind people to be very aware of their surroundings (and their impact on their surroundings) when visiting places like Pompeii. If you do have a daypack or even a larger cross-body bag, make sure you don't rub it on walls in the houses (sometimes spaces are narrow). Don't lean against the walls or sit on any of the archaeological components, even the rebuilt ones. Pay attention to any areas with signage to stay off mosaic flooring or not to enter roped off areas.

(And please never be one of those clueless people who feel the need to do things like carve their initials into the walls of the Colosseum -- you read about 1-2 of these idiots every year....  Most of them now face a substantial fine.)

I was on an archaeological tour once where we were treated to a talk and Q&A with the previous Pompeii site director, Massimo Osanna. He told absolutely hair-raising stories of things taken from the site by visitors over the years. He did a couple of widespread interviews where he more or less invented a story about the "curse of Pompeii" that followed anyone who had taken any bits from the site. After those interviews were published, he was inundated by people returning things like tesserae (individual pieces of stone used to make mosaics), small pieces of marble and the like!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lalof said:

I have seen that you cannot bring in a backpack but there are lockers available to leave your backpack.

It's a cloakroom, not lockers.  I would not leave anything valuable there. 

There is a manned luggage storage office inside the Circumvesuviana train station.  No one goes in or out ofher than employees, I'd be more comfortable leaving something valuable there.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

A small backpack is not a problem, it's the ones that can knock someone over when you turn without paying attention to those around you.

I have small daypacks (plenty large enough for a good sized water bottle) that I wear everywhere, the only place I had to give it up was the Galleria Borghese in Rome, where you can't even carry a small purse.

In that kind of heat it would be silly to carry a bigger, heavier pack anyway.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

A small backpack is not a problem, it's the ones that can knock someone over when you turn without paying attention to those around you.

But the limit för bags is 30*30*15 and I just assume that backpacks can't be bigger than that and that is small!

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

hiking backpack

This works, well under the 30 x 30 x 15 requirements.  Again, it's a day pack, not meant to carry half of the world with you, just the essentials.

16 inches is 40 centimeters so much bigger than the bag requirements.

Edited by sverigecruiser