Bath and Oxford daytrip(s) from London

We'll be in London in a couple of weeks for a week. We have a couple of fixed events, but are pretty flexible beyond those. We've never been to Bath, or Oxford. A few years back we did day return tickets for the train to Salisbury and were looking for something similar to go to Bath (Oxford is "sort of" on the way, but might complicate the train). The better priced tickets I see on GWR are advanced purchase for specific times rather than the same day open return we've done in the past. I need to play a little more on putting together a diversion to Oxford, but I'm also wondering if this is the best way to go. We generally dislike (hate might not be too strong a word) set tours, but we're open to options. Day return to Bath (assuming it exists) one day and a separate day return to Oxford? Other options?

Very comfortable with the train in the UK, but I suspect I don't know what to look for on this one!

Appreciate suggestions! Thanks.

Return rail fares to Bath, per person

Anytime £236

Off Peak £96, can’t depart from Paddington before 0920

SuperOffPeak £69, can’t depart from Paddington before 1015

No one in their right mind ever buys an “anytime” ticket, simply start after the weekday rush hour so that you can travel on one of the OffPeak type tickets.  These are valid on any train, except for the weekday peak time restrictions.

The time restrictions on the OffPeak tickets apply weekdays, no restrictions at weekends.

Cheaper fares are available if you take the circuitous, much slower route, from Waterloo via Salisbury.  I think this chews too much of your time if you want a sensible day trip.

There are “advance” tickets, always priced as two singles, which can be very cheap.  But these are valid on the booked service only.  You have zero flexibility if you wanted to cut short or extend your day, so you have to trade flexibility for savings.  At this late stage, the cheaper advance fares may well be already sold out.

Trains to Bath don't go through Oxford, and it's a surprisingly awkward journey by train between Bath and Oxford, requiring one, perhaps two, changes.  The fares quoted above are not valid via Oxford.  I don;t think it is practical to do both within a single day trip

Return rail fares to Oxford, per person

Anytime Day Return  £77

Off Peak £32

SuperOffPeak Doesn’t apply on this route.

The time restrictions on the OffPeak tickets applies weekdays.  Cannot depart from before 0830 if departing from Marylebone or before 0920 if departing from Paddington.  No restrictions at weekends.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

Day return to Bath (assuming it exists) one day and a separate day return to Oxford?

This is what I'd suggest. Even without any train route complications, there's just not enough time to do both in one day. But doing each in a separate day trip would be a reasonable approach.

2 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

No one in their right mind ever buys an “anytime” ticket ...

Except those of us who have to travel at times and in circumstances in which an anytime ticket is the only option? 😉 They exist for a reason.

29 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Except those of us who have to travel at times and in circumstances in which an anytime ticket is the only option? 

Indeed! 'Those who have no choice' would have been kinder than 'no one in their right mind'.

It feels as if Advance fares are more available than pre-pandemic on the Oxford/Cotswolds line, but almost always not on the trains I need...or if they are, often at a huge saving such as £3 😂

I agree that a day-trip by train just to Bath makes sense. 

Half-hourly service, journey time 1hr 20mins, advance fare just £23 one-way.

And because you're travelling from London to Bath & not Bath to London (which most business trips are), that fare is available any time of day - leave early morning if you wish.

Advance fares are available from about 10 - 12 weeks out, prices go up as the date draws close.

For instance that £23 each-way fare is £57 out plus £36 back if you booked today for travel next wednesday 😮

And If you had a late-booked business appointment for 9am tomorrow, you'd be paying £235 for a return ticket - the gouging price that Globaliser gets uptight about.

But you have the flexibility to choose a date, time, and return time in advance, so booking well in advance @ £23 e/w makes sense. 

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your destination station name is Bath Spa, and it's in the centre of Bath - walkable to almost all sights.

Tourist attractions are open 'til around 5.30pm, so unless you want to stay in Bath for an evening meal a train back to London at about 6pm makes sense

JB 🙂

Thanks! Looks like our best bet will be off-peak or super off-peak (GWR does show super off-peak on that route...). That would give us a good balance of price and flexibility. Bath for sure, and we'll see about also going to Oxford separately.

Unless the train just happens to sell out, I assume we can book the off-peak type tickets up to (or on) the day of travel? And am I correct that we want to book through GWR or their app?