Live from NCL Spirit 06/21/23-07/05/23 - Alaska B2B Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Seas2mountains! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting a review it to the site for publication when you return: Click: Write a Review."

Seas2mountains was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

My husband and I were very fortunate to be able to take this additional time off this month after spending a week on the NCL Escape at the end of May/beginning of June with our now 8 year old granddaughter and our oldest son and his fiancée (Granddaughter's uncle and soon-to-be aunt). We all had a wonderful time! My husband and I are so excited to get to the cooler weather and the beautiful scenery of Alaska. We hear the Spirit is a great ship and a favorite for those who have had a chance to experience it. 

For this cruise, we will be back to cruising as a couple with no other family members and we are excited to get to follow our own schedule which includes trivia. Somehow, we did not make it to a single trivia event on the Escape and we love trivia even though we don't win very often.

Our first ever NCL cruise was from Seward to Vancouver in June 2015 on NCL Sun and this will now be our sixth and seventh NCL Alaska cruise as we went back in 2017, 2019, 2021 (the second NCL restart on the Encore) and again last year in 2022. We've done Seattle round trips, Seward to Vancouver and Vancouver to Seward. I did go on a HAL Alaska cruise in 2007.

I'll post some itineraries but want to add some photos from the cruise in 2022 where we went on a Major Marine tour in Seward before embarking on the Jewel. I highly recommend this tour. It was the 6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise. My husband got better camera shots of the whales breaching and I can't seem to find those at the moment.

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

• Like 5

During the summer, I tend to keep a tab in the web browser for the live bridge cameras for the Jewel and now the Spirit on my phone and computer to see where they are located and notice how light it is in Alaska when it is night time at home. You can see where we are live from this live view which updates about every few minutes or so.  I wish it could update more often.

https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-webcams/norwegian-cruise-line/norwegian-spirit/

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

Here are some Hubbard Glacier photos from last summer along with a waterfall near the glacier. On this cruise, we are lucky and we do get to go there twice on this cruise.  The clear blue skies were such a nice bonus and the photos do not capture how beautiful it is to be in the area.  We do like Glacier Bay National Park with the rangers and the itineraries that include Endicott Arm but found they tend to have to stop and turn around a bit early compared to the other glaciers. 

We do like all the calving action that seems to occur at Hubbard and the sounds of the calving are quite spectacular, too. 

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

• Like 3

Our cruise like all others on the Spirit starting with the cruise on 06/14/23 is impacted by the cancelation of the Valdez port stop which was new to NCL this year and was a part of why we selected this cruise as we had not ever had a stop at this port.

Here is info on how we found out about this cancelation.  It did unfortunately take NCL a bit of time to notify us of this change. It is now fixed in the app and we were able to book an excursion for Sitka and already had one booked for the first cruise in Icy Strait Point.

I'm a bit embarrassed but grateful that @YVRteacher kindly pointed out that I kept spelling Icy Strait Point incorrectly throughout the post. I must say that her comment made me realize that I didn't even think of the geographic term of "Strait" referring to it connecting two bodies of water until she wrote that comment. 

• Like 2

We are booked in a balcony cabin but did not book this until mid-May. The prices on the Spirit have been stable but did come down enough where we are able to do the back-to-back on two cruises for the amount we have sometimes paid for one week in a Club Balcony Suite. The only bummer is that this great deal meant we got a guaranteed balcony but were not able to pick the cabin. For us, this means we do have to change balcony cabins between cruises but both are on deck 10.  We did try calling more than once to ask nicely if we could keep the same cabin but were reminded that the great rate we got meant they picked the cabin and would not change it.  We do get that and have accepted it but may ask at guest services when we board if there are any cabins available for both sailings - just in case anyone has canceled.

We do have a BB category for both sailings. I will post photos after we embark. It looks like both of our cabins accommodate 2 passengers so we are bit bummed that it only has a chair for one person and not a sofa with sofa bed like they apparently have in the cabins that accommodate 3 passengers.  Oh well. We do appreciate the rate that we paid.  These cabins do seem smaller than the Club Balcony Suites. 

I do plan to post photos of the dailies and the pdf download as was requested when I did a live on the Escape but I could not figure out where my phone saved the download.  I have now figured that out and will plan to add those as technology and wifi speeds allow.

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Best wishes for a wonderful B2B on board the Spirit!  As you know, we board the day you disembark.
When do you arrive in Vancouver?

Thank you! Yes, I hope to get to “stay” on the ship through your review. 

We arrive in Vancouver tomorrow around 10am and hope to be at our downtown hotel by 11:30am. 

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

We arrive in Vancouver tomorrow around 10am and hope to be at our downtown hotel by 11:30am. 

I'm wishing you safe travels to the Spirit, while onboard, and back. I don't know if I can contain my excitement at having another one of your reviews to live vicariously through. Thank you!! And remember, us Criticers will still be here when you get back so if you're having too much fun, just forget us and tell us all about your voyage(s) when you return. 

• Like 2

I'll try to add some things as I go.  I haven't researched how to post photos here so that is on my pre-cruise check list.  I'm flying into Vancouver on Tuesday.  I'm just doing the 7-day to Seward.  Spending a couple more days in the area to do the Kenai Fjords boat tour on Wednesday and the 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier on Thursday.  Never been to Whittier.    I sure wish it was easier to get there from Seward.  Oh well, more train rides!

Edited by quack2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm wishing you safe travels to the Spirit, while onboard, and back. I don't know if I can contain my excitement at having another one of your reviews to live vicariously through. Thank you!! And remember, us Criticers will still be here when you get back so if you're having too much fun, just forget us and tell us all about your voyage(s) when you return. 

Thank you so much!  You are so kind!  I love your reviews and hope you and your husband will choose to cruise again soon just so I can read your entertaining and funny reviews. You have an amazing way of pointing out such funny things that happen on a cruise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

I'll try to add some things as I go.  I haven't researched how to post photos here so that is on my pre-cruise check list.  I'm flying into Vancouver on Tuesday.  I'm just doing the 7-day to Seward.  Spending a couple more days in the area to do the Kenai Fjords boat tour on Wednesday and the 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier on Thursday.  Never been to Whittier.    I sure wish it was easier to get there from Seward.  Oh well, more train rides!

Sounds great. I think you will love the Kenai Fjords tour. I also have not been to Whittier. The train ride is always so scenic.  If you have trouble posting photos and would like to, let me know and I may be able to find you on the ship as I can show you how I post photos to CC from my iPhone.

Excited to see your review, we will be leaving about a week later than you on the Sun out of Seattle so very interested to hear of your experiences in port and any excursions you do or what you hear from others as I’ll still have time to modify my plans 😉

have a great journey!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Excited to see your review, we will be leaving about a week later than you on the Sun out of Seattle so very interested to hear of your experiences in port and any excursions you do or what you hear from others as I’ll still have time to modify my plans 😉

have a great journey!!!

Thank you! I am excited to read your review when I get off the Spirit! I’ll be sure to provide updates. 

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

Have a wonderful and relaxing vacation.  Excited to read along.  How lucky to have 14 nights.  We sailed the Spirit in May and 7 nights went by way too fast. 

Thank you! We have been hoping/praying/wishing for a B2B of 14 days or more and everything aligned just right for us to take advantage of this opportunity.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

@YVRteacher Do you have any recommendations for Vancouver? We will stay at a hotel near Cooper’s Park. 

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 1

Wow-great location!  Google OEB in Yaletown if you feel like a wonderful brunch.

The forecast is for rain and drizzle tomorrow so some of your Alaskan clothes may come in helpful.  Keep your umbrella handy.

You are very close to a water taxi (False Creek Ferry or Aquabus are the two companies) and a full day pass will take you to some great places. You have probably seen me mention Granville Island and Lee’s Donuts.  Granville Island is a stop for the water taxi and is one of my favourite places in Vancouver.  There are artisans, a Kids Only Market (if you like liquorice there is a liquorice parlour just outside the Kids Only Market) and a wonderful public market with a food court.  Lee’s will have a line but it moves quickly.

Once at Granville Island you can walk or take the water taxi to the Maritime Museum.

If it is pouring rain I recommend the Vancouver Aquarium or shopping at Pacific Centre or taking the Skytrain to Metrotown. If you don’t like big shopping malls skip Metrotown! The Vancouver Art Gallery is a good option as well.

If the sun comes out and you enjoy flowers Van Dusen gardens is wonderful this week.  I took my dad there for Father’s Day yesterday. 

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Bags are checked and we are at the gate waiting to board. 

Thankfully, we can check up to 70 lbs with no additional fees.  Yikes! 

I tend to have bags under 50 lbs when on warm weather cruises.  

IMG_4785.jpeg

Where's the WOW button when I need it! 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm currently monitoring the location of the Spirit as she sails south toward Vancouver.  I want to see which side of Vancouver Island she sails on.  Too early to tell for sure, but she seems to be heading toward the west side rather than the more scenic and protected east side.

https://www.cruisingearth.com/port-tracker/canada/vancouver-british-columbia/

• Like 1