Talking A Spouse Into A Cruise?

CBussey64

I met with a lot of reluctance when I first mentioned it about 4 years ago. I went out got all the brochures got him engaged in the brochures. Not long after, I just went to the TA and booked it; came home and told him when we were going. We are going on our 4th cruise to Europe this summer and have our 5th booked for February 2007. He loves it now - I've created a monster!

As he spends a month on an oil rig surrounded by water, I don't think I have a snowball's chance of him getting "hooked on cruising". BUt I will continue to talk about it, get the kids passports, tell him my last cruise made me horney then when I find a good deal, book the cruise. He can choose not to go I guess, but me and my boys will still have a good time. See, I have a plan now. Thanks you all! :D

I have given up trying to talk my hubby into a cruise! He says he wouldn't like being in the ports such a short time (I know him-he'd HATE that part!) and would get bored on the ship (I know him-he would!) So we have agreed that he can go on his hunting trips and I will cruise with my dd, dm, cousins...whoever will let me cruise with them:D

Maybe someday I will get him to at least go with me on a land vacation to the Caribbean. I would rather go someplace with him that we both know he would enjoy, rather than force him to go on a cruise when I know he wouldn't enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Several months ago, we booked a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on RCCL Explorer for Oct. Yesterday I decided it would be nice to upgrade to the new Crown Princess for 9 nights with one port of call in Bermuda. Last night went something like this:

DW: I picked up some Michelob for you. Why don't you enjoy a couple and then we will head out for our St. Patty's Dinner.

(We head to the pub for dinner and order some of that green beer.)

DH: I was thinking about our October cruise today. Since we get off Explorer on Friday, why don't we spend the Columbus Day Weekend in Atlantic City after we get off the ship?

DW: That is a great idea! However, today I was looking on the internet and came across a 9 night cruise that has one stop in Bermuda. When you consider the cost of 3 nights in AC plus the 5 night cruise, it is almost the same as a 9 night cruise on Princess.

We have dinner and head home. One hour later:

DH: You know, you are probably right about Atlantic City. Maybe we should think about doing the 9 night cruise with all the different ports of call instead of just one stop in Bermuda.

Every smart wife knows that she has to let her husband think it is his idea.

About bedtime, the conversation goes like this:

DH: So are we booked on the 9 night cruise yet?

DW: Well, we can always book it since we have plenty of time to cancel.

(Of course, I had already called my DD (travel agent) and notified her we would be changing our cruise from a 5 night to 9 night before bed.) After many years of marriage, a DW realizes her DH wants to think his opinion matters. Sometimes it does, and other times....Oh well, see you all on the ship.

Mary & John

Plymouth, MA

As he spends a month on an oil rig surrounded by water, I don't think I have a snowball's chance of him getting "hooked on cruising". :D

Hobbit: don't give up!. Mr Spook spends six months at a time underway on ugly grey ships that don't serve alcohol. didn't take too long at all to get him to deign to try a cruise on a non warship. I am betting that when we come back from Carnival Pride in June he will be massivelys spoiled and will complain more than what is strictly allowed of sailors and their homes at sea...heheheheh

Hobbit: don't give up!. Mr Spook spends six months at a time underway on ugly grey ships that don't serve alcohol. didn't take too long at all to get him to deign to try a cruise on a non warship. I am betting that when we come back from Carnival Pride in June he will be massivelys spoiled and will complain more than what is strictly allowed of sailors and their homes at sea...heheheheh

I tried talking BIL's wife into a family cruise and she absolutely refused - he's retired from the "ugly gray ships that don't serve alcohol," and she's absolutely convinced that if he boards a cruise ship, he'll spend most of his time trying to talk his way onto the bridge or into the engine room!

I never give up:D . In fact this AM I went on line and filled out my son's passport info and they are printed. I'm taking them next week to have passport pics made and I'll send them off. One problem is if he gives me too much flak. My youngest is 13 and they want both parents to sign in front of them for under 14. I will work on this small problem as well. i guess I can tell him he needs one in case we all decided to visit DH overseas.

I tried talking BIL's wife into a family cruise and she absolutely refused - he's retired from the "ugly gray ships that don't serve alcohol," and she's absolutely convinced that if he boards a cruise ship, he'll spend most of his time trying to talk his way onto the bridge or into the engine room!

Oh, I can see my DH examining all mechanical aspects of the ship!:p

Well, the way it was with me, about 19 or 20 cruises ago I heard of a good one. It was on the Norway. I didn't try to talk my husband into it, I just went ahead and booked it on my own and paid for it by myself too. He was kinda ticked off (so much money) and threatened not to go. I told him if he didn't I'd go by myself or take my sister. Being the jealous Sicilian that he is, he grudgingly went along. Well, to make a long story short, he got totally hooked and when he gets bored here during the long NH winter, he has been known to get on the computer and "find" good cruises. I still pay for them, very happily, and he loves every single minute spent on board. To reward me, he treats me to a month in Florida and pays for that. Pretty good deal for both of us. Good luck!

Jan, I haven't seen any of your posts since our cruise on Jewel last October. We haven't been up to Loon since November. I'll look for you again next time we cross the Kancamagus. Since Jewel changed their itinerary this year, we are booking the Crown Princess out of NY to do a similar itinerary to Bermuda and Caribbean.

Mary & John (formerly MRG0433)

Plymouth, MA

she's absolutely convinced that if he boards a cruise ship, he'll spend most of his time trying to talk his way onto the bridge or into the engine room!

Oh goodness I never thought about that?! :eek: With my luck on formal night( he'll be in Mess Dress uniform-yummy;) ) he'll be mistaken for the Captain and get called to the bridge.. and knowing him, he'd probably enjoy it...:rolleyes:

hello,

Here are some ideas that may get your husbands, wives, friends or whatevers on that all important first cruise. You tell them the following...

I will make all the arrangements and do the packing for you.

There will be lots of romance and emphasize this over and over again. By romance I mean all aspects of this wonderful term, such as watching the sunset while having a beer or something stronger.

I will not bother you with excursions, shopping, or activitiies on board ship. You can do what you want but we will have dinner together.

You will do this because you love me and I want to experience a cruise.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

LOL! My DH might start telling the crew how to "improve" things. I can see it now, he'll look at the saftey equipment, tell me that so and so isn't coast guard approved, or the life vests won't really work and I think I'll have to get drunk if they ever let him near the bridge. We'd never make it to the right ports!:D

Alright! I told him today. The roof didn't fall in. He's agreeable but at this point he is going to pretend he doesn't like it. And yes, I had to get him drunk before I told him LOL. But I did change reservations, and now he has a year (and a suite) to get used to the idea:D :D I'm excited! I also just told the kids.

Alright! I told him today. The roof didn't fall in. He's agreeable but at this point he is going to pretend he doesn't like it. And yes, I had to get him drunk before I told him LOL. But I did change reservations, and now he has a year (and a suite) to get used to the idea:D :D I'm excited! I also just told the kids.

Has he ever been on a cruise :) I bet the kids are psyched! What ship are you going on?

Well My hubby did not want to go on a cruise, I booked JOS and guess what? He LOVED it. This is a man whio whines about everything and nit picks, He's not that bad , just whiny. Anyway he could not find one thing wrong with this ship or the cruise, and the atmosphere is so different onboard he will totally love it.Go, he'll love it and guess what I just did, I booked the Crown Princess in October.Also I don't mention the cruise or the cost until he's had a couple of beers.Sometimes you just have to take charge and get out there , out of the rut and do it! Good luck,Kathi Canuck

Has he ever been on a cruise :) I bet the kids are psyched! What ship are you going on?

After considerable rearranging of schedules, we are now booked on the Celebration and I have a suite! I'm really psyched. My 13 year old son isn't. He's afraid he won't like it, but my 19 yr old, also son, did the "happy dance" when I told him. He wanted to know how much a suite was too so he could get one. LOL. I told him good luck. My husband is just listening at this point. Trying not to let me know he might like it. He keeps saying "I'll go but I won't like it"! We'll see. He briefly liked the idea of sitting on the balcony and drinking all he wanted. :D Now, if it wasn't so far away. May 24 of next year. :o

Well My hubby did not want to go on a cruise, I booked JOS and guess what? He LOVED it. This is a man whio whines about everything and nit picks, He's not that bad , just whiny. Anyway he could not find one thing wrong with this ship or the cruise, and the atmosphere is so different onboard he will totally love it.Go, he'll love it and guess what I just did, I booked the Crown Princess in October.Also I don't mention the cruise or the cost until he's had a couple of beers.Sometimes you just have to take charge and get out there , out of the rut and do it! Good luck,Kathi Canuck

of course when my DH asked me the cost, I lied. I figure I have plenty of time now to pay for it on my own without him knowing until the end. :D Yes, I'm bad.

Tell him being on a cruise makes you horny.

I read all these posts. The above is, honestly, the best answer. Say "You won't regret going!' but back it up with reality. That would work for me. Also, try a short cruise on a nice ship. I never wanted to cruise (spent 6 yrs. in the Navy, cruised plenty) but it was much better once I tried it on a short cruise with friends (and the wife saying the quote from above).

thanks for the info. Helps knowing that even though you were on the water for years, you still like to cruise. My DH works offshore, surrounded by lots of guys and noise and first said there was no way in H*** he would go. I've told him (all of the above suggestions:o ) and though he still says he won't enjoy it, he is willing to go. Oh, and I booked a short cruise, 4 days, a suite, and a year from now. He's got plenty of time to get used to the idea. I can't wait!:D oh, our best friends are going too.

Archived