Identity Theft

Sky Sweet

Last week I posted my opinion that people who share too many personal details on a message board are vulnerable to identity theft, as well as other forms of cyber crime. At this time, I would like to share my frame of reference for forming that opinion. During my husband's first career, he was the Director of one of the largest Forensic Science Labs in the world. Even though he retired from being a Forensic Lab Director a number of years ago, he is still very active in the field as both a Forensic Science Consultant and a College Professor.

I personally feel it is possible to enjoy all the benefits of participating in cruise critic message boards, including roll calls, while being discreet about my identity. Then when I actually meet people face to face on a cruise, I have an opportunity to share personal information with people I consider to be my new friends. At the end of a cruise, I frequently exchange phone numbers with my new friends that I met at sea, but that is very different.

You say this, yet you continue to ask questions that could give out security information for people.

The question about the cats, could tip people of as to if a house is empty or not. I have seen a number of polls or questions posted by you that if someone took the time, could lead to their houses being robbed.

If you are unwilling to give out information, please don't ask us to.

You say this, yet you continue to ask questions that could give out security information for people.

The question about the cats, could tip people of as to if a house is empty or not. I have seen a number of polls or questions posted by you that if someone took the time, could lead to their houses being robbed.

If you are unwilling to give out information, please don't ask us to.

I don't expect anyone to disclose personal information on a public message board that could make themselves vulnerable, even though some choose to do so. In my opinion, anyone can particpate in a poll or discuss their cats without revealing information that can identify them in real life. After all, I respond to my polls, as well as those from others, and have also posted on the cat thread. In fact, I think anyone can discuss almost any cruise oriented topic on a message board and still be discreet about their identity, if that is their wish.

I personally feel it is possible to enjoy all the benefits of participating in cruise critic message boards, including roll calls, while being discreet about my identity. Then when I actually meet people face to face on a cruise, I have an opportunity to share personal information with people I consider to be my new friends. At the end of a cruise, I frequently exchange phone numbers with my new friends that I met at sea, but that is very different.

Sky Sweet, if you're concerned about identify theft, why do you give phone numbers out to people that you met on a cruise? Gotta relate something that happened to a friend of my parents. They went to a resort for a week (kinda sorta similar to a cruise in some ways). Met a nice couple. Exchanged numbers. Later on, a month or so after vacation was over, the other couple called and said they were in the neighborhood. They came over, had a nice visit, then robbed them blind. All the info my parents friends had on the other couple was phony.

I'm not advocating not making friends, just saying that identify theft (or any other kind of theft) can happen no matter where, or what, or how.

M.

michuck...

Wow. That's incredible.

Did they rob them in their presence?

Sounds like a nice scheme.

Meet folks @ a resort.

Vist.

Then rob.

What a setup !

We had a sort of similar situation occur when I lived in a dorm.

these guys came around asking to use restrooms at different rooms.

Then...rooms were robbed.

These guys were checking out what was in different rooms.

How awful! I can hardly believe it. Those robbers were very creative, that's for sure. They even invested $$ on a vacation in order to look for a victim. Why would they come all the way to a strange city in order to rob? Maybe the victims were boastful????? I don't mean to criticize people that I don't know, but I am trying to figure this one out.

I would imagine that going to a resort to locate victims is based on the theory that most people vacationing at a resort are affluent, at least to some extent. By having seemingly normal conversations (i.e., "what do you do for a living?", "where do you live?", etc.), they can narrow down their list after learning details that indicate a certain amount of wealth.

How awful! I can hardly believe it. . They even invested $$ on a vacation in order to look for a victim.out.

they most likely went on vacation with someone elses money -- and i think you should have written in the plural -- victims ---every crime gives them the money to go to the next victims town --these people are on vacation all the time

its the random act theory -- if you go to a strange town and rob someone and if you are not seen - leave no clues and leave town the police will never find you because they are looking within their own sphere of influence --criminals that they know

they most likely went on vacation with someone elses money -- and i think you should have written in the plural -- victims ---every crime gives them the money to go to the next victims town --these people are on vacation all the time

its the random act theory -- if you go to a strange town and rob someone and if you are not seen - leave no clues and leave town the police will never find you because they are looking within their own sphere of influence --criminals that they know

Hi Lougee :)

That is similar to what frquently happens with credit card theft. Someone will get a low level job at a restaurant that doesn't require references, work there for just a few weeks while collecting credit card information from its customers, and then move on to a different place and do the same thing.

I was accused once of wanting to remain "anoymous" on cruisecritic and I felt for good reason. I also like the OP when I meet cruisecritic members on a cruise do not mind they know who I am for the most part but I am leery about giving out info on myself.

the post who accused me of not giving information on myself is always telling about what I consider very expensive purchases. Something I would never do-to me that is just asking for trouble-a person like that is a good target for identity theft as it would be harder for a credit card company to spot "unusal activity".

And obviously people have learned who this woman is because someone else on the board sent her flowers for her birthday. She thanked this person for the flowers on the board which is the only reason I know about it. I myself, would be very leery of that. I would not like someone who is really a total stranger sending me flowers. I would be like-how do they know where I live?

I think some people are just so lonely they are looking for friends anywhere. And although I consider some CC members "friends" I still realize they are really strangers and that I must be careful. People are not always what they appear to be.

I was accused once of wanting to remain "anoymous" on cruisecritic and I felt for good reason. I also like the OP when I meet cruisecritic members on a cruise do not mind they know who I am for the most part but I am leery about giving out info on myself.

I wasn't exactly accused, but the jest of the thread was that those who did not post 'personal' stuff were accused of hiding things etc. :eek: There was a 'group'/'click' that felt this way. It even got into that setting that showed if you were on the board or not. At the time you could set it either way. There were some idiotic remarks slanted against anyone who did not have their's turned on. It also got into posting personal things. Those that did not were considered not friendly, hiding things, etc.

I don't post personal things, nor do I use my real name. I have posted on this site a very long time and I prefer to remain anoymous. There are all kinds of nut cases and criminals in this world. Why feed them personal info and help them out ? ;)

I have posted for quite a while here and have tried to stay anoymous.

But we have met a lot of wonderful people on cruises (have been fortunate so far - no problems) and sometimes some personal stuff does pop up about us when we least expect it by someone saying for example: "Oh I remmeber you telling us about...." & etc.

I would be like-how do they know where I live?

You don't know what happened "off board". These people could have had a lengthy email correspondence or even "real" contact. Heck, I met my husband online--we've been together 8 years, so it's not all bad:D . Yes, you have to be careful, but you have to be careful everywhere in all situations. In addition to meeting my husband online, I have other "online" friends who have turned into REAL friends that I've taken vacations with....

I wasn't exactly accused, but the jest of the thread was that those who did not post 'personal' stuff were accused of hiding things etc. :eek: There was a 'group'/'click' that felt this way. It even got into that setting that showed if you were on the board or not. At the time you could set it either way. There were some idiotic remarks slanted against anyone who did not have their's turned on. It also got into posting personal things. Those that did not were considered not friendly, hiding things, etc.

I don't post personal things, nor do I use my real name. I have posted on this site a very long time and I prefer to remain anoymous. There are all kinds of nut cases and criminals in this world. Why feed them personal info and help them out ? ;)

Yes I had a bad experince from another messageboard with a person stalking me-they were actually calling me on my phone becuase they did not like something I had posted. We had to change our phone # and I was afraid for a while that this person may try and hurt me or something.

You don't know what happened "off board". These people could have had a lengthy email correspondence or even "real" contact. Heck, I met my husband online--we've been together 8 years, so it's not all bad:D . Yes, you have to be careful, but you have to be careful everywhere in all situations. In addition to meeting my husband online, I have other "online" friends who have turned into REAL friends that I've taken vacations with....

This person who sent the flowers seems a little strange to me-she/he? (claims to be a woman)posts on the fashion board a whole lot and has been for about 6 months. This person went on a cruise back in the summer and says she/he? does not like cruising just likes posting to the friends she/he? have made on board.

she/he? tends to ask alot of questions that do get personal-I just quit posting back to this person when she/he asks what I consider a personal question. this person tries to put on the persona of being very niave-maybe she is-I suppose she could be mentally chalenged-I don't know-I am just a little leery of her. that is though just a "gut feeling"-I believe we should listen to our gut feelings.

I am not afraid of everyone and I don't mind exchanging info with fellow cruisers if I feel "no flags" have been raised in meeting them if you know what I mean. but as much as I like posting to several people on this board I would never invite them to my home-the most they would get from me is an e-mail. I would have to know them from another source.

I feel bad to what happened to that one post's parents. That is a horrible story-I have friends that have had similiar stories-where is was family members or trusted friends they learned had stolen from them. People they should have been able to trust. It is a sad world we live in at times isn't it?

It is a sad and scary time. I am naturally a trusting person. It's gotten me into trouble a few times but the worst thing someone could take from me is that ability to trust and see the good in people. I suggest giving out only info you are comfortable and if someone takes offense, that is their problem. As trusting as I am, someone trying to coerce info from me raises my flags. I also am cautious about giving street address & home phone to friends I make on cruises. I just give 1st name, e-mail & sometimes cell. Every good friend was once a stranger. You never will find out unless you open up somewhat.

It is a sad and scary time. I am naturally a trusting person. It's gotten me into trouble a few times but the worst thing someone could take from me is that ability to trust and see the good in people. I suggest giving out only info you are comfortable and if someone takes offense, that is their problem. As trusting as I am, someone trying to coerce info from me raises my flags. I also am cautious about giving street address & home phone to friends I make on cruises. I just give 1st name, e-mail & sometimes cell. Every good friend was once a stranger. You never will find out unless you open up somewhat.

Yes you just do not want to inivte "friends" you know nothing about to stay in your home-that was foolish of the other people.

There has been a lot of advice in the media about ways to protect yourself from identity theft. Most of it is good advice, but I want to comment on an exception. Some have recommended not to sign the back of your credit cards and show a photo ID instead, but that can do more harm than good. A person who is inclined to engage in credit card fraud is also capable of producing a phony photo ID, and without your signature on that card there is no basis for comparison.

There has been a lot of advice in the media about ways to protect yourself from identity theft. Most of it is good advice, but I want to comment on an exception. Some have recommended not to sign the back of your credit cards and show a photo ID instead, but that can do more harm than good. A person who is inclined to engage in credit card fraud is also capable of producing a phony photo ID, and without your signature on that card there is no basis for comparison.

I believe it will come to taking our finger prints so we can prove we are the person-ofcourse when that happens-someone will figure out a high tech way of getting around that.

I think retinal scan technology will be there first--that's what's being tested for frequent travellers who want to avoid long security lines--do the background check and then I believe it's a retinal scan that gets you through the airport security....

Geez, let it go, please! :rolleyes:

I was accused once of wanting to remain "anoymous" on cruisecritic and I felt for good reason. the post who accused me of not giving information on myself is always telling about what I consider very expensive purchases.And obviously people have learned who this woman is because someone else on the board sent her flowers for her birthday. She thanked this person for the flowers on the board which is the only reason I know about it.

Geez, momofmeg, you seem to stir the pot no matter what board you're on. Do you really think that people here have no idea who "this person" is? Mentally challenged???....a bit much, don't you agree? If you're "leery", why even visit the board where "this person" posts? C'mon! :rolleyes:

This person who sent the flowers seems a little strange to me-she/he? (claims to be a woman)posts on the fashion board a whole lot and has been for about 6 months. This person went on a cruise back in the summer and says she/he? does not like cruising just likes posting to the friends she/he? have made on board.she/he? tends to ask alot of questions that do get personal-I suppose she could be mentally chalenged-I don't know-I am just a little leery of her.

Geez, let it go, please! :rolleyes:

Geez, momofmeg, you seem to stir the pot no matter what board you're on. Do you really think that people here have no idea who "this person" is? Mentally challenged???....a bit much, don't you agree? If you're "leery", why even visit the board where "this person" posts? C'mon! :rolleyes:

Well Madelinerose-I enjoy that board-I just don't post back personal information when people drill me-that is all- I had one person post to me once their e-mail and ask me to e-mail her/him-when I did-it did not work-so I asked them what was their e-mail again-once again this person gave me a phony e-mail. I believe they were fishing for my e-mail - that they thought I would be dumb enough to post mine publicly.

But after angering someone on another messageboard (had nothing to do with cruisecritic) I am very leery-I am also leery when soemone starts asking me alot of personal questions on a public messageboard as the OP here said.

No I do not think that person is mentally challenged-the person just is trying to appear that way- very crafty of him/her-I believe this person has discovered a messageboard where many speak of their expenisve purchases and gifts (such a 2 carat diamond engagement rings) and this person is trying to get more info.

Go ahaed and talk about fashion as much as you want-yes it is fun-but beware of giving personal info- as I know from personal experience people can find out where you live-THAT can be scary.

As far as "stirring up the pot"-I guess I just speak what is on my mind-maybe that is why I had the problem before, I am sure it is-but why even post at a board if I am not allowed an opinion on things-that goes both ways-yes I may not agree with other's opinions, but they are entitled to them.

Wow, thanks for putting reality into my head right before my cruise...I sometime just dont think of things like this and it's a good reminder. I'm wondering though, what kind of personal information are you talking about? As far as I can see, I only have a screen name on here, no personal information and I dont' ever tell anyone one where I live except the state. How could anyone "find" someone that way? Why be worried if that is the situation? Unless you are saying others give out way more information once they meet in person? I'll remember to be careful, thanks!

Archived