Recent Navi app users: Chat alerts?

POA1

In olden times (2018) the chat app did not alert a user about an incoming message. You had to check the app to see if there was a new message.

I thought I read that it does now. Does it alert a user about an incoming message. Is that true?

(You don't have to tell me that iMessage works on the iPhone and Google Messages works on Android. I know that, but I'm curious about the Navigator app specifically.)

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It did for me. It also notified me when I had an event coming up that I’d added to my individual itinerary. Shocked me the first time it happened, because I wasn’t expecting it based on previous experience!

• Thanks 2

Thanks, all! It would appear that there are 3 different notification tyoes in the app. Each type can be assigned its own sound - at least in Android.

Navigator-notification.png

It only gave a notification maybe 1/4 of the time for me earlier this month. It seemed to only work right if the app was open on my phone at the time a message arrived; then I got a notification. Otherwise, nothing.

• Like 2

This is stock Android specific (Pixel 7 Pro) but most flavors of Android work roughly the same. If you have an iPhone, the procedure is similar, only more apple-y.

For each of the sound event types click on the event type notification. (I used Onboard in my example.)

Screenshot_20230622-003054.thumb.png.9fef64341b7668dd508441175e2f4635.png

Scroll down and click on sound.

Screenshot_20230622-003133.thumb.png.0af3ed5be641464e0b8778b366f47928.png

If you have more thsn one sound picker, you'll have to choose. Here, I am using the default Android sound app.

Screenshot_20230622-003158.thumb.png.a369407704b331b511df8551a1fe6564.png

You can see that I'm using the default sound. In this case, it's the old, circa 2012 Motorola Droid sound. (Still great after all these years.) I can choose from any of the system sounds or the 168 personal sounds that I'm toting around. (It's a sickness, but I almost never have to look at my phone to tell me what app is alerting, who's texting, etc.)

I have not yet set sounds for the Navigator app, but rest assured that I will. Please note that you can turn on vibration or override Do Not Disturb. I'll probably turn vibrate on so I can know about alerts when my phone is on Silent. (Don't wanna be noisy phone guy during a quiet dinner or theater performance.)

Screenshot_20230622-003245.thumb.png.c4b44b225ecfe4164ac896e0c5308a1e.png

Edited by POA1
Moved pix around. Added context and general good cheer.
  • Thanks 2

I noticed a few times that if I hadn’t been in the app for a while (several hours or more), notifications didn’t always come through, and I sometimes had to re-log in when I’d open it again. I’d say to best increase the odds of receiving notifications, keep the app open on your phone and bring it up and click something in it every now and again, just to make sure it’s staying open in the background. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, erdufylla said:

...I’d say to best increase the odds of receiving notifications, keep the app open on your phone and bring it up and click something in it every now and again, just to make sure it’s staying open in the background. 

Ugh - exact opposite of what I'm trying to do on vacation. I want to spend less time, not more, on my phone 😒 but if this is the solution, I'll do it.

On 6/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, renee00 said:

It only gave a notification maybe 1/4 of the time for me earlier this month. It seemed to only work right if the app was open on my phone at the time a message arrived; then I got a notification. Otherwise, nothing.

This was my family's experience as well it was very hit or miss and honestly at times the messaging would only show. Spinning circle and was unusable. 

• Like 1

I'll add that I also ran into other kinds of notification problems with the app. When I added events to my itinerary, it would push notifications for them even after the event was past. The only way to stop the notifications was to go in and delete the events. My feeling was that HAL has some issues with how they set the app to do notifications that makes it not work right with the phone.

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

The App is a good idea, but execution is brutally sub-par. HAL IT needs to do better.

This is what bugged my parents.  They are normally princess cruisers and have had 0 problems with the medallions and app on them.  Why can IT be great on one and so bad on the other when it's the same company‽

5 hours ago, ensredshirt said:

This is what bugged my parents.  They are normally princess cruisers and have had 0 problems with the medallions and app on them.  Why can IT be great on one and so bad on the other when it's the same company‽

I’ve heard lots of people complaining about the Princess app (among others), and I had zero problems with the HAL app. I’m not discounting the issues people have had with the Navigator app, just pointing out that it seems to be one of those hit-or-miss type things and individual experiences vary quite a bit.

It worked flawless for us last week. I would open the app on my iPhone and then ignore it.  I also use an Apple Watch and I would get notifications of upcoming events that I had added to my itinerary.  I would also be notified of a chat message on my phone. 

one couple in our party had android phones and couldn’t get the message function to work. A quick stop at customer services fixed that and they had no further issues.